Cougar Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

[​IMG]

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

The Cougars are rolling and doing it in dramatic style, tell us about the ride so far.

Can this team win the Pac 10 ?

Has recruiting been impacted by the early success?

Youe QB Tuel has lit the world on fire is there enough balance in the offense?

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

The Cougars are rolling and doing it in dramatic style, tell us about the ride so far.

It's been a good first two months of the season. I think that we have seen the maturation process of a lot of our young players this season, notably our sophomore quarterback Jeff Tuel. We are very pleased with how things have gone in the early season, but we want to keep our focus on improving every day. Some times with young teams you have set backs, like we saw today against Arizona. However I think big-picture, this team gets our philosophy and has completely bought in. I am excited for the future of Cougar football as we look down the road.

Can this team win the Pac 10 ?

(Laughs) Just being asked that question I guess is a compliment, considering we went 1-17 the past two years in Pac-10 play. Look we aren't focused on winning the Pac-10, while that's certainly something everybody wants to see happen eventually you've got to give our players a chance to mature and develop in our system. Come ask me this question again in three years.

Has recruiting been impacted by the early success?

As you know it's against NCAA regulations for us to talk about individual players, but we certainly have seen some interest peak in kids that weren't interested in us before. Success breads success, if that makes any sense. That's especially true when you recruiting in Pullman. Not a lot of kids know about this place or the type of awesome college atmosphere it is. The type of high quality, high character student-athletes that we want to recruit I hope will see our success as a preview of great things to come for this program.

Your QB Tuel has lit the world on fire is there enough balance in the offense?

I'd be lying if I said there was. We have tried a lot of things to get our rushing game in gear, but we will continue to search for answers at the running back position. Right now its an open competition. As far as Jeff (Tuel) goes, we knew what he was capable of when we took over this program. He has a cannon arm and should be another great one in the long line of Cougar quarterbacks. This season he has exceeded all of our expectation. Yes we are putting a ton of weight on his shoulders, and we are asking him to throw the ball 35-40 times a game in most cases but he has handled it well and is leading the NCAA is passing yardage and is in the upper tier of quarterback efficiency. I'd love to be able to run the ball and have balance, but I'm not going to keep banging my head against the wall when we are averaging less than two yards per carry. Jeff has done a great job, although he's thrown a few to many interceptions I think thats just a by-product of him being asked to, again, huck that football around 40 plus times per game.

I will say this, if you have followed my other teams at Penn State you know that I am a run-first guy. Eventually maybe we'll get there, but again I'm not going to bang my head against the wall when we rush for less than two yards per carry, and in some games much worse than that. In the Oklahoma State game we averaged .1 yards per carry. In the SMU game it was .05 yards per carry. In the Arizona game it was a bit better at 3.0 yards per carrry. Again we aren't going to sit there and run the ball when the opposing lineman are getting off blocks faster than we can hand the football off to our tailbacks.

4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

lol me too tough to run with purdue great interview

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

, what went wrong vs. Cal?

What led to the 5 picks?

Tuel has been announced as a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award, Walter Camp, and Davey O'Brien Awards how does he feel about these accomplishments?

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

What went wrong vs. Cal?

We just weren't prepared. Period.

What led to the 5 picks?

A combination of a poor running game and an effective pass rush doomed us. I'll say it once, and I'll say it again. . .when our running game is averaging two yards per carry and the defensive lineman are getting off their blocks faster than we can even hand off we aren't going to have an effective running game.

Tuel has been announced as a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award, Walter Camp, and Davey O'Brien Awards how does he feel about these accomplishments?
    It is a great honor to Jeff, and a tribute to his hard work. Being only a sophomore, there are only great things in store in the future for him. Once we shore up some things around him like getting our offensive line fixed and putting some big play receivers around him I can only imagine the sky is the limit. Oh and don't forget about a running game. Once defenses have to respect that, then things will get even better for him.