Couple things I wanted to mention....

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Couple things I wanted to mention....

Just so everyone is on the same page.

*** Disclaimer, this is not about anyone in particular. Just some things that I picked up from when I re-wrote the rules for the site that I thought everyone here should know...

Speed Option

On short yardage situations and especially near the goaline this play is virtually unstoppable. If you are getting a lot of 1st downs/TDs with your QB, this is probably why. For some reason the defense doesn't really string the play out right, allowing the QB to tuck it in and cut up for a few yards every time (even with a slow, average QB). Be wary of your playcalling in these situations.

Running Game

I want to tweak the sliders in this dept but I wanted to come out and make a few statements first. If you are getting the majority of your yards with counters and sweeps, cut it out. Especially counters from wide sets, even without a FB. At least pretend you have to set the defense up for an outside run. Even Jahvid Best and Chris Johnson have to run in between the Ts.

I know some of you guys are real good on the sticks. I've been wanting to tweak the sliders and let the abilities of the HB shine a bit more, but I'm horrified at what might happen with the stats. Which bring me to my next point: use your 2nd string! Your 2nd string guy should be used in mop-up and spell situations. This should help alleviate some of the stat racking.

Crashing the FS

We talked about this and it has helped alot. Remember that a FS should very rarely meet a ball carrier anywhere close to the LOS.

Take your time

Some of you need to take your time to read the defense. We are all busy, but rushing to the LOS to take the snap of the next play can make stats and number of plays a little lopsided. Plus you can keep your D off the field and not let the CPU hang 30+ points on you just because you scored 50+. I'm not talking about letting the clock run down to 2 seconds before you take the snap. But take the time to pick the right play and read the defense a bit before you snap it. I started doing this lately and you would be surprised at how much more enjoyable the gameplay is. TOP, number of plays and yardage are all greatly effected by this.

I'll add more if I can think of anything. I sort of hit a mental block. If anyone wants to add, talk about something or ask questions, feel free.

Keep up the good work guys.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I don't know what changed this year (besides losing my HB) but I cannot run the ball worth a shit this year. Last year Ewing ran for 1500 and was well north of 4 ypc, this season I have three backs splitting carries because I can't seem to hit an average of 4 ypc.

In general my offense is way worse this year, with largely the same personnel. Maybe I picked the wrong playbook.

3. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

1. Guessing changes will be for next yr not any games this year.
    2. Are we banning counters and sweeps? I have never really g
    had success running counters out of wide sets....

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Banning counters and sweeps would be retarded. Just don't make them the only rushing plays you run.

Yes, any changes in sliders will be made next year.

5. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

I run a good amount of toss/sweep plays, but I absolutely set them up with other runs/plays. Sometimes when you pop a few big ones, that is all people remember, and not the other plays ran to get you in position to make the big play.

6. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Drifter, with Missouri's playbook I got only 3 formations(Shotgun, Pistol & Goaline). All my plays are sweeps or counters. I got 1 HB slam 1 HB dive.

7. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

I think this is a good point, there are very few good 2 and 3 hole plays in my play book also.

8. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I run everything....

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I'm not saying that it should be half inside and half outside. Whether you are playing a user or CPU, just be sure to provide a balance of some kind. Not every play called should be to the outside.

10. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

smashmouth baby.... i have to remember to run it outside, i run alot of dives with Duckett, he doesnt really have the speed to hit the corner, so i end up with a ton of dive, blasts, and HB Guts.... to the point i think, humm maybe i should go outside..

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I'm the same way.

12. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

same with me. Vince Downs is slower than I am. I think he has pretty good speed on the game though. My backup to actually make it to the corner. but the majority of my runs are right up the gut. I have some outside runs to keep the D honest though.

13. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

My backs seem to run backward for some reason.