Courtesy penalty declining

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Courtesy penalty declining

Guys, something came up my week 1 game that I wanted to gauge everyones thoughts on.

In the game against the Dolphins with about 2 minutes to play, on 3rd and 1 no less, I break the huddle only to find that as soon as I come up to the line one of his guys gets hit with an offsides penalty. It was clearly not legit, I wasn't on the line trying to fake snap or something. It was just some sort of glitch when his guys were lining up and then bumped into my line which triggered the penalty.

Now, given the situation it obviously would have been extremely nice to go ahead and accept the penalty and potentially put the game away. I didn't, I declined it. I truly hope that everyone else involved with the league feels the same way about this type of penalty. Theres a clear right and wrong. It would have been just huge to accept it, but I didn't. Do you guys ALL feel the same way about these?

Anyway, I failed to convert that 3rd and 1 and Bruce got the ball back and got a chance to win the game. I came away with the win anyways and it made me feel that much better that I declined the penalty would I could have taken the easy way out.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn or something, just trying to point out a sometimes overlooked aspect of playing football games. How do you guys feel about it?

2. priestmvp

priestmvp FOOTBALL!!!!

Good for you Keller. Absolutely agree. Also unfortunately the morons at EA still left the little glitch in the game where a team gets a turnover and posession changes but the damn play clock sometimes either doesn't reset or accelerates or whatever but it's cheap and the team that JUST got the ball can often get a delay of game call which imo should be declined.

3. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Meh I don't know, declining penalties is a slippery slope. If I were in his position I woulda been fine with you taking the penalty for my dlineman being an idiot.

Now the other day, a guy took a safety after running the glitched PA play in NCAA and I immediately took a matching safety without even asking him. But as far as penalties go, I feel they're a part of the game and it's not very sim to decline. Sometimes the gods don't smile on you, whether it be Madden or real football.

But I'd have to see video to be sure.

To be clear, if it's caused by a glitch then of course decline the penaltie. I just don't consider the dlineman lining up worng a glitch. It could happen to either party and that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

4. Keller

Like I said, it was 100% not legit. It was just like one of those situations where it was so obvious. We were trying to get to the line and his lineman did something wacky where it just gave him an encroachment. I actually do have the video but I'm working on converting that and maybe chopping it up before posting. I think if you see the video, you'll agree. It was a pretty easy decision for me, I just want to see if everyone feels the same way as me because I don't want to be giving people these calls and then not get the same courtesy when the game is on the line.

5. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I assume what happened was his D was crowding the line and he shifted the LBs or audibled and his player got stuck next to a dlineman and couldn't go behind him so he slid in front and touched an Olineman. That's happened to me a few times.

But I like where your heads at.

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I Agree. It's much like declining a delay of game penalty if you are messaging your opponent about something.

7. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

This. gamesmanship is a huge part of what makes this league great.

8. Keller

Aren't we required to have a headset for this league anyhow? I hate when people don't have a mic and something important comes up.

9. roll2tide

roll2tide Walk On

In terms of written rules I think it should probably be left to each individual so that we don't find ourselves trying to determine and regulate exactly what is and what isn't a valid penalty. However, I do think declining was the right call and I would hope that others would agree.

10. sowerss

sowerss Sowers

I know the exact glitch your talking about too, and yes that should be declined everytime in gentlemen's terms...

Also in a NCAA dynasty game the PA glitch I fumbled for a td to the opposing defense, he let me score and gave me ball back (which you should do under any type of serious league.)