Cowboy Up!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hskr8128, Sep 9, 2013.

1. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Laramie, WY-It's not often you'll hear a coach express optimism after a home loss, but that's exactly what new Wyoming coach Jeff Jeffries portrayed after today's games. The Cowboys lost 27-21 to a very solid Michigan St. squad.

Coach Jeffries had this to say at the post game press-conference.

"Listen, I know we lost today but the way the boys played really gave me some encouragement. We were a little shaky coming out and went down 17-0 pretty quickly. They could have lied down and taken a whoopin from a superior opponent but instead they went out there and played their tails off."

Jeffries mentioned that this game could have ended very differently if not for two key factors.

1. MSU HB Jeremy Langford was a man among boys. The Cowboys seemed SCARED to tackle him after he ran a couple of them over. He averaged 11.1 YPC, gaining 245 yards with 2 TD's.

2. WYO QB Brett Smith, who had a decent game, floated one ball 3 yards over a wide open reciever in the red zone which resulted in an INT. Had Smith not had this disasterous throw, Wyoming would have had a chance at at least a FG and only a 7 or 4 point deficit going into halftime.

Next week, Wyoming goes to Lincoln to play another Big 10 foe in the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

• Like Like x 3
  2. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Lincoln, NE-Wyoming QB Brett Smith was the best player on Nebraska's team today. He was responsible for a whopping 7 turnovers (6 INTs, 3 were my fault on bad reads, 2 on bad throws and one on an amazing acrobatic cirque de solei catch by a DB).

Overall, many of the same problems that plagued Wyoming against Michigan St. in week 2 reared their heads again here today. Smith made WAY too many mistakes and the tackling was absolutely non existent. The Cowboys often found themselves in proper position on defense but if there wasn't two guys to make the tackle, it wasn't happening.

Coach Jeffries pointed out one statistic that really angered him-the Cowboys were in the red zone 6 times and turned only 1 into a score. "Our offense played a good game until they got into the red zone. I don't know if it was the crowd noise or if we just choked but we'll be working on our red zone plays in practice"

3. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Sorry for the plain jane blocks of text guys. I'll take any pointers on adding pictures or graphics. I'm so forum illiterate....

4. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

I'm fine with the text as long as its spaced out into readable paragraphs, lol. I love to read as long as its easy on the eyes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Colorado Springs, CO-Wyoming got their first win of the year as they ride the sensational game of HB Brandon Miller to a 35-21 win against Air Force. Miller ran for 216 yards and 3 TD's, averaging 6.9 YPC. "Anyone that has played against me in the past or watched my teams knows I LOVE to pound the rock" Coach Jeffries said after the game. "We just haven't been able to do that thus far due to falling behind so early."

For those that enjoy the new-age spread attack, this was not the game for you. These two teams COMBINED for only 25 pass attempts, completing only 14 of them. At least 8 of those passes came late in the game as Air Force was forced to air it out to attempt a comeback. Wyoming continues to look suspect on Run D, coming in ranked 122nd in the country before allowing 164 yards to the option attack of the Falcons.

• Like Like x 1