CPU Pass Coverage

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

CPU Pass Coverage

This has been a subject I've had trouble with all year.

I've been able to pass just fine, but I've had to change how I do it. In the past, I would read the defense, and if I could tell man or zone, or where a blitz was likely to come from, I usually knew where I was going before the snap.

Now, especially in man coverage, I can't do that. Man coverage seems to run the routes ahead of the receiver, which looks kind of funny. The result is that I never challenge one on one coverage on the outside, so most of my pre-snap reads are routes I know won't be open, and I only ever go deep over the middle, usually to a third receiver. I can't seem to beat the blitz by going over the top of it, at least not from any of the pro sets.

Still, I can't think of a better system, and we seem to be passing with pretty reasonable success, so things might just have to stay as they are. If we were to adjust, I was thinking of maybe dropping our pass block by five, maybe upping CPU INT's by 5, and drop our WR catch by five to make the passing game tougher. Then, we could turn the screws on the CPU passing game and get more of a defensive kind of football game. It looks like CPU quarterbacks are maybe a bit better than they should be, but since they're not beating us, it wouldn't make sense to drop their stats without also dropping ours.

Anyway, these are the touch-ups I'm thinking of for year two. Anyone have any ideas?

2. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Agreed. The CPU's passing game has given me fits...and I guess we could stand a little tougher CPU pass coverage.

3. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Could we ease back up on the run defense though? Anybody else still having trouble with the run game? or is it just this spread offense?

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think it's the spread offense. Plus, you're in the SEC, where some of the best defenses are located.

But, I have noticed that the passing game opens up big time if we get more receivers in the game, so my loss in adding a fullback and a tight end instead of two more wideouts means I run better, pass worse.

Still, I'd like to see more success out of the read option plays and draws out of the gun. I think too many of those plays end up in losses, even when we make the right decisions and run in the right situations. Can't think of a fix, though, at least not one that doesn't include softening up the power run game as well.

5. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I have a real hard time running the ball, but then again, I run a offense that is a 70/30 pass to run ratio.

6. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i think our pass offense is just right. the cpu punishes you if you make stupid mistakes.

7. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Actually I have had a lot of trouble running the ball. If you look, since we adjusted that slider my numbers are way down, realistic now but its because I run the ball alot. The last few games, it has been pretty hard to get any run game going. Luckily for defesive turnovers I have been able to win

8. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I am a spread guy too who can't run worth crap.

9. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

agreed.

I feel that the cpu run blocking should go up and our tackling should go up a little. I see way too many broken tackles by cpu. I'd rather have cpu get better ground game by blocking than breaking unrealistic tackles.

10. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

i have had some mixed games with the cpu pass defense, but yes, im all for making it a bit harder. in most games, its pretty darn easy. In my last game (GT), i swear every single play my guys were blanketed in that awkward sense (running actually ahead of my guys on their routes...so freakin lame) but still doable.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Not gonna happen until we start losing. I'm not going to make it easier when we're all having career seasons already. If you want this, tell me how to balance things. If this is what users get, what do they lose to compensate for it?

We're getting reasonable stats. I don't want to create a situation like we had in the first couple weeks, where each CPU game is a tune up, even in conference rivalries.

Again, frustration with the CPU is something I see as a good thing. If we want to adjust something, please understand that we're just going to shift that frustration, not get rid of it. That is, unless we actually drop a game somewhere, which I'm beginning to believe isn't going to happen.

12. vatechhokie01

but arch, he is saying up cpu run blocking. is it doable to up cpu run blocking a ton and our tackle a good bit. if not, why not? what extra frustration would this cause? not saying there is an answer, cuz my other thought is indeed...

things need to get harder.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I suppose we could look at it, play some games and see what we get. But my feeling is that we're pushing for an easier game, so I kind of instinctively resist. I've been told by many a commish that guys want a realistic challenge, but not a real challenge, meaning that they want to feel like they're overcoming tough obstacles, but they also want to make sure they never fail, so that even a tough set of sliders is usually still a stacked deck.

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but that is the thought process I go through when I evaluate requests for changes.

I remember last year in the OSU-Navy game, a Navy receiver broke three or four tackles and went long for a TD in Columbus. If that happened in a game here, we'd be discussing how guys are breaking too many tackles. I want to be able to play and tackle in space, but I also want guys to beat a man and go for big yards. I just don't want it happening all the time. So, I may look at an adjustment, but I'm not going to take it out of the game. If we up run block and tackling, nobody breaks one on the outside, unless we also up RB ability, which would essentially cancel out the tackling bump.

However, we can look at a system that touches all of these, and ends up with a slight increase in user tackling, but I've only had one guy break a tackle for six so far this year (in the Indiana game) so while I'm hearing about all the issues, I'm not experiencing them. Purdue ran screens and spread sets all game, and even my fourth and fifth corners did fine, and Purdue just got the single field goal. If you guys are saying it's happening, it must be, but I'm not being affected by it, so I can't help but wonder if we really need a change.

How about we all propose slider sets? Put what we have on your system, play around with it, and see what you come up with. I can't play all the necessary games to test adjustments by myself. If we have tested ideas for specific changes, I'll try them out.

Fair?

14. vatechhokie01

well ill be the first to reiterate...ill take superhero wr over cpu never scoring (or never winning) anyday

15. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

I agree with this.. I'd rather the cpu have gaping holes then break 3 tackles and score from 80yards out (bastards!!)