CPU teams

Discussion in 'Rookie Symposium' started by Matthew Keves, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

If we're unable to find viable owners for the 4 open teams, what's the plan to make sure that the season plays out fairly for everyone in the NFC?
    With the CPU seemingly easier than real players, it basically gives the Giants, Lions, Redskins, and Bears a very big advantage over the NFC West and South teams that play
    I came up with 2 solutions...
    1. Sim every user vs CPU game. Not ideal, but it seems more fair than the alternative.
    2. Leave the 4 teams open and move 2 users from one of the affected divisions to the other affected division. I'm the Lions and would prefer to keep them, but I'd be willing to switch to the Eagles or Cowboys if it makes the league better.
    Whatever we do, I think this needs to be addressed quickly while we're early enough in the season to minimize the impact.
    Obviously if we fill those spots, this is a moot point, but as of now this seems like a valid concern.

2. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I'm trying to fill the spots but I want quality owners, some of our more recent guys that have joined have left before things even happen. I would prefer to fill the spots.

3. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

kdpnutter what teams are currently open?

4. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Yeah I agree I'd like to fill the spots and totally agree that they need to be good owners...that's part of my point. It takes time to find those guys and we're at a point in the season where it's about to be a competitive disadvantage to a good portion of the NFC.
    If we could find 2-4 guys, great, but if that's going to take a couple of weeks, we need to shift the league balance to make sure this is a legit season. Having 4 CPU teams isn't the worst thing in the world if they're spread out properly, but with them in 2 divisions in the same conference, that's a big deal. As I said, I'm the Lions and one of the teams potentially going to benefit, but I'm willing to move, or if we can move 2 teams from the AFC, that's another option. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind and all of the teams are pretty desirable. There has to be a fan of those teams here who'd love to switch.
    It seems like we've got a pretty good 28 guys here, so let's do whatever we can to make this the best first season possible.

RadarRider
    Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, and Packers are open

5. Snozberriez8198

Snozberriez8198 10 Star Recruit

If you can't fill the spots I vote for simulating the games. I say this because there is nothing stopping a person from quitting out of a game if they are losing to the CPU and starting over as many times as it takes to win.

6. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

I am sorry but If the spot cannot be filled and I playing a team that CPU controlled, I will be a very upset person if my game is simmed. Concerns of quitting should be squashed, there needs to be a sense of trust in one another. Sorry I am not willing to put my season on the line and lose out on playoffs or wild card spot because I had to have 3 games simmed. We picked teams, player quite, other users should not have to suffer the consequence of those results.

7. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Yeah that's part of my point...if you have to sim games, you'll be upset and feel it messes with the season. But if you get 4 games against the CPU, it's not going to be fair to the rest of the guys in the league either. We're still early enough in the season to come up with a reasonable solution, but if I was New Orleans or Arizona, I wouldn't be thrilled about going 9-7 and missing the playoffs because the Lions or Giants went 10-6 with 4 CPU wins.
    Like you said...users shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of guys quittting, but that's what's going to happen.

8. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

I understand your point and the difference is in my games, If they were simmed, would be probability/rating based, losing ALL of the human element. That is frustrating to me. I have a gameplan, play sub-packages, a routine in how/when to run plays...ALL of that would be lost. I can/do lose to the CPU, it is frustrating and not as frustrating as not having ANY control in a game because other people feel it is unfair.

Personally I think we need to fill the spots ASAP with capable players. People in other Divisions need to concern themselves with how they want to run their team, not what opportunities others may or may not have. I do not care that another Division has 1 or 2 CPU players, I am concerned with my opponents and my division.

Basically, it is not right to impose a rule on a user(s) that would eliminate their ability to control their team on the field.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  9. Snozberriez8198

Users shouldn't have to suffer, but they should also not be able to benefit. By playing the computer it is an automatic win. I am in 3 leagues and there has not been 1 loss to a CPU player all season.

10. Snozberriez8198

Is there any way we can just take volunteers within the league to have them round robin for CPU team duty where you can add a human player just for that game and remove them after?

11. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

Then we can edit the sliders for the CPU, I will not have my games simmed. I do not mean to sound threatening and I am sorry If it comes off that way...but taking away my ability to play games, eliminating the Human element is plan wrong. So people have to play more user games, it may seem unfair but a few users not be able to play is plan wrong. If I have to play a CPU game, there is a still a human element. if it is simmed we lose that. I will not put my season in jeopardy so people have a sense of fairness.

12. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Simming them is not an option, I will say that now, it's not going to happen. I am off on the recruiting trail trying to get some people in and doing what I can but if people can get good solid users in that would help a lot, I can only do so much. If I have too I will increase the CPU sliders. (y)

Fast Feet Pete
    Aspect1
    MS8403
    SFRANGER6969
    MartyBall101
    LB Fitted
    NateDawg
    Gngsta4Lyphe
    Snozberriez8198
    RRAHx2
    kdpnutter
    Matthew Keves
    Makoewler13
    RichFire956
    SmashMouthFB33
    nellycuz
    The Rulah
    CTfromDC
    Boman5
    Elemnt
    sschevyridah
    hugezombie
    GDip
    RadarRider
    Selvy9
    Sarvinator
    oneshot24
    mawan74
    zhoov45

13. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

The idea of simming the games was only an idea...I even said I didn't think it was a great idea, but as of now you and Washington would play 5 CPU teams. I'd play 4, which I'm not excited for either, moreso because playing the CPU isn't nearly as much fun as playing a real guy. Hence, I threw out other ideas like just re-organizing some teams to even our the divisions. We have 4 open teams and I'd say at least 3 are very desirable. Since we've had trouble finding good new guys, I'll again throw out the idea of a couple guys from the AFC moving to the NFC to balance it out.
    I don't think having 4 CPU teams is that bad, but the way they're lumped in those 2 NFC divisions is more than likely going to have a big impact on the playoffs and I think if addressed now, it can be avoided.

14. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

While I see where you, Snoz and Keeves, are coming from, it works both ways. If a player is in a division with 3 CPU teams how is that any fault of their own? That player shows up to play his games just like everyone else. Just because the team that he has to play is CPU, does that make him any more or less deserving to be in the playoffs? Just win every game and your playoff spot is guaranteed. Problem solved haha. But seriously, the only way to work it IMO is just try to fill the spots with owners, thats all really that can be done. Not that anyone asked but just my .02

15. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Well if the CPU is easier to beat than real guys, then yes you'd be less derserving of being in the playoffs. That's why Boise St and Hawaii don't make the national championship game when they go 12-0. If you, me, or Radar went 14-2 there wouldn't be a beef, but if we go 10-6 with 4-5 wins against the inferior CPU, then you were .500 or below against the real dudes.
    Is no one willing to switch teams or is that a non-starter? I'm surprised no one is an Eagles or Cowboys fan that's dying to switch to their team.
    I'd technically benefit from this current arrangement, but I'd much rather even it out and not play 4 CPU games...that takes away some of the fun of being in a league like this.

I know you guys are trying to fill the spots and it's very tough and that's again part of my point. There might be another solution other than beating yourselves up recruiting.

16. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

if possible id like to take over the redskins instead... they are who i usually play with so i would love to be able to kdpnutter

17. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Rulah is still very much in the league. so I apologize but they are not open. (y)

18. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

redskins are taken...open teams are eagles, cowboys, packers, and vikings

19. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

oh ok... are any of those teams 2-0? lol cus i got a loss due to a sim as is and since the team im supposed to play aint respondin im sure this one will be simmed too smh

20. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

If they're not responding you can play the CPU...you shouldn't get punished for that

21. RRAHx2

thats unfortunate LB, Simmed game against the Browns = guaranteed win

22. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

^^^ exactly lol the problem is tho, the bills is a user team -___-

23. RRAHx2

Being from Texas, I would be interested in the cowboys if this actually became an option. Even that would be a tough call seeing as how I've already put some good work on my NYJ page..

24. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

LB Fitted

Your opponent got back to you about 3 hours ago...did you get back to him?

25. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

I'm confused as to what the issue is... if a team currently doesn't have a user, then they're CPU controlled until someone can be found to take over. Why would the user controlled team not be allowed to play the game?