Crossing routes/Drag routes How do you stop them?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by kdpnutter, Oct 16, 2010.

1. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Crossing routes/Drag routes How do you stop them?

I swear it doesn't matter who i am with CB's if a team runs a crossing route or drag route there WR always beats my corner. I have tried so many defenses to try and have extra help or to stop it but can't figure it out. Is there a defense that is designed to help stop it?

2. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Cover2 would be my best thought, but that depends on how good your line is with pressure. You can also draw your coverage in with aggressive zones. Otherwise, go with a zone blitz scheme, and maybe catch your opponent locking on 1 receiver while a CB is blitzing off the edge untouched, killing his QB.

Mike

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

dual drags/mesh plays are a pain to stop, but zone coverage does work the best. Vs man, you will have a hard time against it.

4. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Second this

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I also 100% agree with nautica.

However, if your opponent is doing this to you because you run exclusive man coverage (which alot of people this year do) then you may need to mix your coverages up a bit. Man coverage is so strong this year that it makes about 70% of the pass routes in your playbook useless if your opponent is only calling man.

6. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I actually love playing against man coverages. Zone is a little bit trickier IMO. Knowing your playbook and plays inside and out, really helps alot. Each passing play has routes that take advantage of both kinds of coverages, being able to identify them and read the defense is key to the passing game.

7. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

4-4 zone works well against this or 4-3 cover 3 also does.

8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

You can eat man coverage alive all day, the problem arises when they play man coverage PRESS everytime, then you can have issues with the super "Bump" that every CB has

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    yeah hova is right some...especially if you have a super team, you can forget it if the opponent is playing bump n run everytime.

But I'd try a combo of cover 2 and cover 3...if your CB's aren't up to par, try leaving your LB's in zones some as well...or a cover 1 with the LB playing in a zone.

10. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

I just got eaten alive by bump coverage all damn game. And the highest rated corner was a 65. Granted my receivers are not much higher, but the press coverage is so damn annoying. If you're going to run that, you can't get mad when people mesh you to death.

11. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I'd call mesh all day against you if you kept coming out in man against it, try disguising your coverage more to make it look like you are in man when you aren't.

Let's assume you are going against a four wide receiver set so you want to use dime with four corners..
    vs trips, you could come out in the cover 3 play that has one of the dime corners in man and flip the play to whatever side the trips is on (doesn't really help for crosses lol)
    vs doubles, pick a zone play you want, come out and audible straight to man, and right before the snap audible back to the play you originally picked. That'll make it look like man as much as possible.

12. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I like dropping a speedy LB deep in the (Cover 2) with the 4-2-5 and spying with the FS (user-controlled). Start off like you'll be helping deep, and then blam! Secure the middle and help out with any crossing route that opens up.

13. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

In Madden this year, how do I come out in a Zone coverage and assign a man coverage for one of my CB vs WR/TE/CB. It's probably listed somewhere, but there have been a few times I want a cover 2 or 3 and specifically want to change a LB/CB to play man coverage vs a guy killing me. I remember in past Maddens this was possible, but I seem to be unable to do it this year. I used to love coming out in zones a put a NB in man coverage vs. a TE or the slot. Combo coverage is the best IMHO.

14. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

If I remember right, in the past it was: Select defender press A (360), press offensive player icon, and left on the right analog stick. Is it still the same? I'm not at home to try this out, but I thought I tried this no avail.

15. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Brand new to the site but I'd like to share my experience. I played a guy last night who went ACE-big dual drag routes every other play. I tried multiple zones and combo coverages but he would find a way to thread the ball in there. I noticed he was specifically throwing the the left side of the formation so I hot routed my DE to run man on the TE and a double coverage with the LB. It worked perfectly and forced him to explore other avenues.

16. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

If he's throwing out of Ace-Big all the time, I'd blitz the hell out of him right up the middle.

17. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

that was a crap shoot though. he was decent at making adjustment so he would hot route hb to block and pinch the line. that would give him just enough time to get off the crossing route pass.

18. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

all about pressure imo, user the mid, google patriots defense, nfl.com go look at some of the old/archived "Playbook" episodes, i'll share these vids with yall that i had to show guys how to slow the drags/crosing routes down.

19. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

wow thanks for the vids man. i see you haven't gotten a pvr either huh? i want to get one but just can't afford one of the HD ones. i've heard things about the dazzle card but haven't tried it yet.