Current Status of the ACC & SEC!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Shino45, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Current Status of the ACC & SEC!!!!!!!

Were going to take a quick look at the standings in the Divisions and the race to the SEC and ACC Championship Games

SEC West
    Arkansas at 8-0 has firm control of the SEC West and should be heading into the SEC championship game with no losses and a chance to play for a national title. They have a very favorable schedule down the stretch with their only game of note coming in the season ender against LSU.

Auburn started off hot, but two back to back tough losses has pretty much put them out of contention for the SEC championship. They finish with some tough opponents in LSU, UGA, Texas and Bama.

Alabama has spiraled out of control to a 4-4 record on the year since their head coach went AWOL. But Rumor has it there is a New Highly touted coach set too make his debut soon and get the tide back rolling. They will have a tough time trying to salvage the season as they finish with VT, LSU, and AUB down the stretch.

SEC EAST
    Georgia is 4-3 on the year, but the good thing is the 4 wins and only one loss has come in conference. With a win vs Ole Miss they can pretty much assure themselves a spot in the SEC championship game for a rematch vs Arkansas. After Ole Miss they finish in the SEC with Florida and Auburn, and Out of conference games vs GT and West Virginia

Ole Miss is in the same position as Georgia, win and take solid control of the division. With their favorable schedule down the stretch a win could mean an SEC Championship game vs Arkansas. After UGA they will be completely favored versus Miss St ULL and Vandy. But there last game vs Tenn may have a lot on the line depending on how things play out.

Tennessee having two conference losses has an uphill battle if they want to make it to the SEC Championship game. Currently they do not control their destiny and will need Ole Miss to beat Georgia to better improve their chances. Like Ole Miss they also have a favorable schedule down the stretch until their meeting on the last week of the season.

ACC Atlantic
    Florida State has pretty much clinched this division. At 4-0 in conference they have firm control of the division. They still face some very respectable teams down the stretch including Maryland and UNC, but the way they have been playing they would have to lose focus to drop a game before the ACC Championship

Boston College at 3-5 has had some very tough losses on the year. All of their losses has came to respectable teams. They had two tough losses to two of the best teams in the nation with a 21-28 overtime loss to Arkansas and a 52-50 loss to FSU. Their other 3 losses has came vs top 25 teams in Auburn, VT, and UNC. Before the season it may not have looked like it, but they are going through one of the toughest schedules in the nation and the wear and tear is showing on the players. The good thing is they should be bowl eligible as they finally approach the cupcake part of their schedule finishing with Clem, Duke, UVA, but they have do have one more matchup with a rejuvenated Wake Forest.

Wake Forest after starting 2-1 loss 3 straight games under their assistant coach while their head coach took a leave of absence. That absence has really set the team back and it showed in their play vs VT when Coach Spud returned. It's not impossible for the Demon Deacons to finish the season at .500 but they will need some good performances on the road vs UNC and at home vs Boston College. The other games are very winnable for Wake.

ACC Coastal
    The only Division Completely up for Grabs!! The top 3 teams in the division all has games remaining versus each other. This is the division to watch down the stretch!!!!!!

Virginia Tech came into the week ranked #7 in the polls. They are still unbeaten in the division and are 6-1 for the season with the only loss being a OT loss vs Auburn. VT has not been challenged like other teams in the league thus far, but they will have plenty of opportunities to prove themselves going forward. They still have games remaining vs Alabama, Maryland and Miami. If they want to face FSU in the ACC Championship game they are going to have to play great down the stretch in big time games

Maryland at 5-2 on the season is still in good shape as they are also undefeated in the Conference. Their two losses came in two close games vs Tennessee and Wisconsin. This week is a HUGE game of deadly stretch as they go on the road to face Miami. But it gets not better as the following week they go on the road again to face FSU before coming home to face VT. How they do in this 3 game stretch will determine the success of their season. After the 3 game stretch they finish with NCSU and Duke.

Miami at 6-1 was on a roll before running into FSU a few weeks ago. Outside of the FSU game they have played excellent this season and they still control their own destiny with only 1 loss in conference. A loss to Maryland this week would set them very far back on their quest to avenge their loss to FSU. After UVA they face UNC and GT before Hosting Miami as their last game of the season. Depending on how things play out that game has potential to have a lot on the line. Before looking forward to VT they need to focus on Maryland this week.

2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Great recap so far. Yeah, Florida State is the cream of the crop. I almost knocked them off though. Maybe next year.

3. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Yea, you almost had Arkansas too.

For those two teams to still be undefeated is an accomplishment... but can they make it to a National Championship game undefeated??? I don't know...The ACC Coastal is tough and whoever represents that division is going to give FSU a good game in the ACC Championship. I honestly think Arkansas has a better shot at making it to a National title undefeated.

4. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I hope so. I think the SEC title game will be tough either way. With so much more pressure on me, it will be a game where I will be wiping my sweaty hands off a lot. The other team will be playing for a SEC title but not the NC. Should be some good games. I could still blow it against SC or LSU though. Still to get Arkansas their first SEC title ever would be nice. Hope the real season plays out like that. One can dream can't he.

5. Kingspring

Kingspring Walk On

If Cam Newton didnt go down... ahhh what couldve been... next season I suppose...

6. Spudnasty

Spudnasty Walk On

I agree Kingspring. I'm already looking forward to next season. No vacations for me next season haha