Custom playbook issues

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by jello1717, Jul 12, 2012.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

BACKGROUND FROM '12:
    Since their inception CPBs have had issues with formation audibles. After countless hours (easily over 24 and likely over 48) toying with CPBs in '12 I came to the conclusion that formation audibles were based on every team with that formation in their playbook. Say for example, formation A is found in 10 teams pbs. The run formation audible for teams 1-7 is HB sweep, teams 8,9 is read option and team 10 is HB dive. The formation audible will be the same as the team of the base playbook (which made it advantageous to start with a base pb with good formation audibles) but I don't know how CPBs chose which play to use if the formation isn't originally in the base pb, but the run audible was 1 of those 3 plays. Let's say you have all 3 of those plays in your CPB and the audible is sweep, but you want dive. If you remove sweep from your CPB, then a new audible is chosen, say read option, Remove read option and the only one left is HB dive so you could to some extent get the formation audibles that you want.

PROBLEM IN '13:
    From brief experimentation, it doesn't look like '13 CPBs have more than 1 choice for audible. I wanted dive but got sweep. I removed sweep and there was no run audible anymore. Also, the audibles might not vary based on the base playbook (but this recollection is vague and possibly wrong). There are several formations with no formations audibles of certain types at all (IE. SG-4wr trio str has no run or deep pass audibles) and this doesn't change based on base playbook (in '12 there were some formations with no audibles, but this varied based on base playbook which again made choosing the best base playbook so very important).

From what I could tell in only the hour I spent on this last night it doesn't look like I have any control on my formation audibles like I had in '12. If there is none, I can't choose a different base pb to get it and if it's a play I don't like (and likely wouldn't have in my CPB anyway) then I can't change it.
    1. Do my observations match what you've seen?
    2. Have you found that formation audibles do in fact vary depending on base pb (using the same type of course, so only comparing my spread pb with other spread pbs)?
    3. Have you found a way to get an audible if there is none to begin with?
    4. Have you found a way to change the default audible to something you prefer?
    Thanx!

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Too bad it isnt as simple as tagging a play on the play selection screen as one of the 4 formation audibles.

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I find weird things with custom playbooks and formation audibles. Sometimes I will loose a formation audible based on a play that I add to my playbook. For example:

Shotgun Slot F Wing looses it's run audible anytime I add Inside Cross passing play out of that formation to my playbook. I have other examples of deep pass formation audibles I have lost because of running plays I've added to the playbook just don't remember the exact formations.

Anyone else notice things like that.

4. jello1717

Excellent observation! I decided to test this out. One of my favorite formations is SG- 4WR trio str and I LOVE it's normal formation audible, HB dive. Well, in my CPBs, there was no run formation audible at all. I decided to test your theory so I removed every play except for HB dive (I previously had every play for that formation) and I now have a formation audible and it's HB dive.

This means I'm in for a lot of work (just like in '12), but it seems like I should be able to go through every formation that I want and find the offending play for each formation that doesn't have audibles and remove that play (unless I'd rather have that particular play instead of a formation audible).

Thanx!

5. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

It does appear that the plays a have a priority ranking. Example the 4wr Trio I stripped out all plays and then added the 4 audibles plays I wanted. Save got out and tested and they were there. Went back and added the Zone Read and a couple other runs. Saved and tested again but this time I had the Zone Read as a audible. You can achieve close to what you want as audibles but it does take some trail and error to get there.

Right now I am trying to get the buck sweep and PA Read for the Gun Trio Wk. I can get the buck sweep but the PA is giving me fits. The whole trick to the CPB in my opinion is work 1 formation at a time, focus on run then the pass, and only add a few plays at a time then go test. It is a pain but you can get what you want.

6. jello1717

I noticed this too. Spread flex has HB Sweep as it's run audible. I removed everything except for HB dive and I got that.

7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

This is and isn't related to what you guys are saying, but when creating a CPB defensively, with the 3-4, you're unable to organize the formations. For instance, from the play calling screen, starting at 3-4 and moving right, it goes to Dollar, Dime, Goalline, Nickel, Quarter. Not entirely important, but screwy to get used to.

8. jello1717

All pbs are that way. You can order the formations per type (IE. SG, I, flex) as they'll go from the 1st formation you added (top of the list) all the way down to the last one you added (bottom of the list), but you can't change the order of the formation types.

9. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

:(

10. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

And if you don't remove a formation it goes above the newly added ones.

11. jello1717

This is the biggest pain when redoing a CPB. I generally have 20+ SG formations in order by personnel from 2TE -> 5WR. If I later want to add a new 2 TE set, my choices are to either remove 20 formations, add the new 2 TE set and then add the 20 formations that I removed in the correct order (and of course having to choose the plays I want from those formations again and then reorder all of the plays within the formations again) or to have my formations get out of order (with the 2 TE set at the bottom) which is a royal pain in the ass for a no huddler like myself.

12. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

I agree it's a major pain and I'm nowhere near a no huddle runner, so I can imagine your frustrations.