Custom playbooks completely removed from Madden 13

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by jello1717, Jun 6, 2012.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Frisk posted this about NCAA '13 in the Madden forums:
    Do any of the gamechangers have any details as to why they were removed (other than they were buggy)? Was it too much effort for them to fix the bugs? Did they attempt to fix the bugs? Do they intend to bring them back next year? (I'm an electrical engineer so I know what kind of effort is involved with fixing bugs as I've done it for 12 years)

CPBs was unquestionably my favorite feature of '12. Over the course of '12 I've spent countless hours tinkering with CPBs (I'm sure it's well over 50 hours) and getting them just how I wanted them. They're awesome because you tailor the playbook to your style, get the formation audibles that you want (I hate default playbooks with terrible formation audibles), and most importantly, get your formations and plays in the order that you want (which is huge for a no huddler like myself). In my offensive book I have all of my formations in order by personnel so that I can easily switch to new formations in hurry up with the same personnel. I also have every formation set up to go, from top to bottom, RB runs -> QB runs -> WR runs -> options -> PA passes -> screens -> short passes -> medium passes -> deep passes. This makes it so much easier to find plays unlike default playbooks that have no discernible order to their plays which requires you to hunt and peck for the play you want. I do the same on defense where I go 2 deep zone blitzes -> 3 deep zone blitzes -> cover 2 to cover 6 -> man to man -> cover 0 man blitzes -> cover 1 man blitzes.

I'd go so far as to say that giving us the ability to remove plays we'll never use, add more plays (IE. QB designed runs) that aren't in a playbook, choose your formation audibles (for the most part), and order your formations and plays is probably the best addition they've made to this game in the past few years and I'm extremely disappointed to see it go. I'm just curious if some game changers can shed more light on this.

Thanx!

Shaun Mason
    Emmdotfrisk

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

lol, Custom playbooks are in NCAA 13, but they are not in Madden 13. Sorry for the confusion jello

3. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Yes yes yes yes yes!

I was so ticked, yet now am so happy :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. jello1717

Damn I hope this is true! I've never been a "the sky is falling" kind of guy, but if I had to choose between '13 with no CPBs and playing '12 (which I LOVE and think it's the best NCAA game in history) for another year with CPBs, I honestly don't know what I'd choose.

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Oh so you do nothing but put shit on paper I have to fix in the submittal process. Good to know :p

[​IMG]

Here's one for our resident Ginger Civil Engineer ^^^^^^^^

Hack: "Hey guys, can we wait for lunch until after I get done with these contours?"

6. jello1717

Onto paper?

What the hell is this, 1980?

7. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

:rolleyes:

8. jello1717

Were you able to verify @ E3 for certain that CPBs are indeed in NCAA '13?

9. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Straight from Ben Haumiller's mouth "Custom Playbooks are IN NCAA Football 13, with some improvements."

10. jello1717

GoGators
    You rock! Thanx!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shopmaster

Shopmaster Walk On

I have a video that I will be uploading soon of Ben Haumiller talking about Custom Playbooks in NCAA 13 and how easy it is to set up.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Not sure why it matters to us; custom playbooks really shouldn't be allowed in leagues IMO.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

in Madden I don't think its a big deal. In NCAA? The stock playbooks are historically very small and super shitty.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

In NCAA 12 I felt the playbooks were fine. I'd like to see them continue to be improved and expanded, don't get me wrong, but in the end I probably only used 2-5 plays from any formation in a given game when we play 8-minute quarters.

Custom playbooks aren't a good tradeoff for how difficult it would be to police/monitor the playbooks people create for realism, money plays, etc. (the definition of money plays is always changing, these dyas I would say it's something like "a play with a route that always works against man defense").

16. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

if you have a league that knows how to police itself it shouldn't matter...i would rather fill my playbook with formations and plays i use than have a bunch of crap i a have to go through to get to the play i want...and its good for organization as i always put play types together run/pass/playaction...

• Like Like x 1
  17. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

My .02 on Custom Playbooks: I think that banning custom playbooks takes away a very valuable asset to sim gaming. The idea of being a coach for a team and being able to mold a playbook to your scheme and play style is a huge part of sim game play. My thought process is this: If every coach used the playbook of an existing coach nobody would be watching football nowadays, and the individuality of a CPB can add an extra dimension to leagues

• Like Like x 1
  18. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

I'm in the school of thought that a guy is much more likely to abuse a few plays if there is a bunch of plays he doesn't care about in his stock playbook. At least in custom playbooks you pick plays you will actually use.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

I love it when I come into a thread, and everyone has already said everything I would have.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Luke

Luke Walk On

Seems line we're having to sacrifice things such as rosters,custom playbooks, etc. in this initial year or CC. Hope they get this stuff in eventually.

21. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Where? Link?

22. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

Disagree: I think the playbooks got worse in NCAA 12 compared to the previous year. I couldn't find a single one that fit what I wanted to do offensively. And judging from the Demo, I'm guessing most PB's were not really altered/expanded in NCAA 13.

OTOH, I loved the Saints PB in Madden 12. So much so that it's probably my favorite playbook of all time, in either game. Hopefully it didn't change much for 13.

23. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I remember it being in one of the webcast him saying you could create a one play CPB of you wanted.

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I see where you guys are coming from; I just think a big part of the challenge on offense (you need a challenge on offense to actually have defense IMO) is choosing a playbook. I don't really care what formations people run. Sure, if I was to allow custom playbooks I'd ask them to report which formations they were using and they'd need to be realistic. But that's not the problem for me, it's the plays.

The challenge of finding a playbook is compromise. You're guaranteed to find an offense that runs at least a decent facsimile of what you want to run (except for Don Coryell aka PSUEagle over here). But you can't have EVERYTHING you want. That compromise slows down offenses at least a little. And I think that, as well as good schematic defensive play, is what allows us to have at least occasional low scoring contests in T1 and I hope that continues to happen. If you're just picking all the best plays from each formation you select... there's no compromise. I know in the playbooks I have used, there's usually only a handful (if that) of plays that I'm truly confident will beat a certain man defense if they call it. If I had 20 different "money" plays against man defense, I believe offense would start to be way too easy.

I think guys in my league would vouch for the fact that there are some great defensive contests that we had this year and that made it a lot of fun. If I put it up to a vote, maybe they'd still wanna try it, I don't know. But it would be hard to convince me because of the fact that you could just choose every effective play in every formation you're running. Anybody who says they wouldn't is LYING. And anybody who says it doesn't matter is DELUSIONAL (or lying).

Drifterbub - where do you stand on this? Did you guys run customs last year? Did you have any D in your league?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  25. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Awesome post.

Baron check this out. He raises some excellent points.