Custom Playbooks

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

In case you guys haven't been paying attention, I thought I'd let you know this is coming.

Question is: What are we going to do about it?

I don't know all the details yet, but I think we all the the potential for serious cheddar here. Any ideas about how we can do this right?

Personally, I love the idea, but I also trust myself not to load a playbook with five-wide sets and fleXbox One sets. How would you guys like to go about regulating this kind of thing?

2. bdub

bdub Walk On

Only way I can see to remove any debate is to not allow it. Otherwise people will always question each other.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't want to start outlawing stuff before we've even seen it ... but I could see some seriously cheesetastic stuff happening if we don't get specific about what flies and what doesn't.

I really want to be able to use this feature because I think it will create books in which guys use most of their plays, and don't have ten plays per set that never get run. There's an upside, I think, but there's also a big potential downside.

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Maybe we just have a list of outlawed plays.

5. Goose

Goose Walk On

What if we allow custom playbooks and anyone that uses one has to list all formations and sets?

6. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

I'd guess it will be a setting that the commish can turn on or off.
    I'd probably go with off. there's too much risk for cheese.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

It would be easier for us to monitor if we have to declare a style of offense. Example, in real life option teams have to spend large amounts of time on the mechanics of the option, leaving little time for learning west coast styles. If we have to declare we could easily make limits on what else you add. I personally will be disappointed if a feature like this is outlawed because guys don't have self control.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is kinda where I'm at. We got through an entire year with very very few gameplay issues. We didn't bitch about each other much. I think, if we do it right, we'll be fine. I'm throwing around some thoughts on how we might keep guys true to a system, yet allow some creativity as well. We have time to work it out. Long time between now and release day.

If PSN is back up by then.

9. justadude

justadude Walk On

I see cheese in the plays, not the packages. The problem is if someone loads up on slot posts and flags or other cheese plays (if gameplay remains the same). The custom playbook option would be a great way to remove those plays from playbooks, thus reducing cheese. It can work both ways.

10. justadude

justadude Walk On

A coach of mine once said that plays compliment each other. The custom playbook option would be a great way for guys to consolidate their schemes. I am assuming that all guys will had the necessary desire to play sim ball.

11. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

That's my coaching theory IRL also.
    I run as few formations as I can so things all look the same. I love when I play coaches who only run a formation for one particular play. makes things really easy to pick up on by the second quarter when the only time you see shotgun is for screen plays. :)

12. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

So many times this year, I found myself saying out loud (or to a league-mate), "Wouldn't be awesome if we could custom-make our own PB?" But, then, part of me would reconsider. I liked the fact that each PB had its own strengths and weaknesses. Sure, some books were better than others, but none were truly dominant. Had I been able to tweak one of my fav' books this year, I would have been really hard to stop, and I'm sure that goes for the rest of you.

That all being said, I'm still excited by the possibility. As 'dude mentioned, a PB's formations should compliment each other and have a rhythm or flow. A lot of this year's team playbooks had one or two (or even more) oddly chosen formations thrown in. Once you played a user once or twice, the formation was almost useless, for it was easily identified because it didn't work off of any other formations. This is why we saw the same handful of PB used as the year progressed. With the right rules in place, the custom playbook could be a really cool feature.