Custom Playbooks

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Can someone fill me in on the rules you guys are using on custom playbooks since I left?

For NCAA 2013, I'd like to go back to everyone posting their playbook choices prior to the 1st user game, and once posted the playbooks can't be changed.

If someone is using a custom offensive playbook, they need to post all formations in the playbook and the playbook must follow some sort of scheme logic (i.e., you shouldn't have a 50% fleXbox One and 50% shotgun playbook).

Defensive custom playbooks will be allowed, but you need to pick a base set (4-3, 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-2-5) and can only add 2 formations from a different base set. You can have all normal nickel/dime/goal line sets.

Everyone good with the above?

recchem2000
    gowazzucougs
    Cheez
    Boom29
    DirtycashDylan
    SatansAngel1104
    Kapono
    MexiRican35
    whygodwhy1111
    Wyrmreaver
    Jayrah

2. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

I dont think we changed the rules from the time you left.

Also, include no 1-5-5, unless the offensive line is able to actually block it this year.

3. Dru50

Good point.

4. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Air force is like half flex half shotgun.......

Its mostly 2 back shotgun with a heavy dose of option in the shotgun to compliment the flex.... last season my book was based on AF....

5. Dru50

Based on our rules last year you can use the air force book if you want, but expanding it isn't really realistic in my mind. Does air force really run 50% shotgun and 50% flex in real life? I honestly don't know but I always thought that teams that ran the flex tended to run those sets like 90% of the time.

I posted this to get discussion going, nothing is set in stone yet. I just believe that use of a custom playbook should require sticking to a realistic offensive or defensive scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

My offensive playbook will be strictly Ace formations and Shotgun. I may throw in 2 I-form formations, Normal and Twin TE. I like using Twin TE instead of Goalline cause it gives me a wideout to throw a fade route to if the safety is committing to stopping the run.

Last year I was able to fit both the 4-3 and 3-4 into one PB. Just made it easier for me. I only play with the formations I choose to go with it the beginning of the season.

7. Dru50

Then we have to talk about defensive playbooks. Last year when I left the rules didn't allow for mixing a 4 man and 3 man base set in one playbook. I really don't think that's even remotely realistic as no NFL team does that really let alone a college team. Cheez when and why did you guys change that rule?

8. Cheez

I dont remember this happening.

We allowed for two 3-4 formations if someone ran a 4-3 and vice versa - but I dont ever recall allowing as many 3 man fronts in a primary 4 man defense as the user wants.

9. Dru50

That's the rule I recall and think we should continue.

10. Cheez

I would personally eradicate the use of the 3-4 when you have a 4 down lineman base and the use of the 4-3 when you have a 3 down lineman base

11. Dru50

I'd be down with that, it seems the most sim in my mind. I think everyone should pick a defensive scheme and go with it.

12. Cheez

I would understand adding 4-2-5 Ds or 4-1-6 (if there are any in NCAA) to a 4-3, or 3-3-5 to a 3-4. But that's about it.

13. Wyrmreaver

New england in the NFL and Alabama in college mix 3 and four man fronts, one should be primary though

14. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Ok my bad. What I meant is I had both 4-3 and 3-4 in the same PB, but just for convenience. Like in Night Owls, I was running a 3-4 with WVU and didnt call anything from the 4-3. In AM, I ran a 4-3 and didnt call any plays from the 3-4. I didnt mix the 2 formations with the same team.

15. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

OU does too, for the record.

16. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I'm for disallowing custom playbooks altogether *ducks*

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cheez

I'm not opposed to that, especially given the issues that they caused last year.

18. Wyrmreaver

Shut yo dirty mouf!

19. Cheez

Hey. I said I'm not opposed to it. I didnt vote for it though. I voted for allowing two other defenses win, with the provision that they are using the same amount of down lineman as your base (4-3 can add 4-2-5, 3-4 can add 3-3-5).

20. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

(y)

21. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I don't use custom PB's and I'd be happy if we banned it or restricted it.

22. Dru50

I'll put out a vote on that to tonight...unless someone wants to do it earlier.

23. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

And now WSU will do the same thing.

24. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

I don't understand why.?.? If you don't want to use them that's up to you but that in and of itself is a custom playbook decision. Depending on the pb, it could be very complex or very simple, so you still have the dynamic of different levels of sophistication within the pb choice of the user.

25. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Here's what I wrote in OC as we're having the same discussion and lot of it has to do with fleXbox One.

I know we see Air Force run some flex and some other stuff but not many teams do that in real life (no other teams). College coaches can't expect to have a QB who is capable of taking snaps out of the shotgun and passing as well as running a complex option system like the fleXbox One. In the game, a QB can run any play any time without any difference because it's a video game and the awareness rating only goes so far, but in real life QBs just don't have enough time to practice and master different offensive schemes.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't like seeing guys come out in fleXbox One just because they can. Flex is an offensive style, not just a group of formations that can be added. I've seen a few guys in different leagues run flex in goal line situations only. No QB can run out of the shotgun all game and then when it comes to big plays close to the goal line, just switch to fleXbox One. If they got that close to the endzone and hadn't been running flex at all the entire game, they'd screw up: fumble a snap, make a bad read, turn the wrong way.

For me it's similar to using a custom defensive PB or multiple PB where there's a 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, 1-5-5, and 3-3-5. Those defenders run a base defense in real life. A good outside linebacker can't just know everything there is to know about playing in all these formations. Only a few guys in college can play DE/OLB, let alone try to be a LB in a 4-2-5 as well as 1-5-5.

Flex along with other formations (besides wishbone) happens almost never and it should happen almost never in video games. That's my stance on it but if everyone else agrees with it, that's fine too​

• Like Like x 2