Cutting Cable/Satellite

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by gowazzucougs, Mar 20, 2011.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

My wife and I are discussing cutting our cable tv from our monthly budget. To supplement this loss we have netflix, and I am considering getting Apple TV or Roku. Does anyone else have one of these devices or another device that I haven't considered. I realize I may be losing the opportunity to watch sports, but with ESPN3 on the Xbox, MLBtv, NBA broadband league pass, and the NFL Sunday Ticket available on the internet I think for the most part I will be okay. I am little worried about watching my Cougs because they are generally on my regional Fox Sports Affiliate, but I think I can figure something out. I am open to suggestions on this one.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

To my knowledge, ESPN3 on xbox is supported by your local cable system. For instance if I didn't have Cox... I wouldn't get Xbox 360 Espn3

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If he is still getting Internet service via his cable company he should be good.

4. gowazzucougs

Who says I am giving up the internet, the key to this working is having the internet.

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    What kind of over the air broadcasts do you get in your area? With the right digital antenna, you could pick up all of your locals +some in HD.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oops. I thought that having Cox cable had something to do with getting ESPN3 on Xbox; maybe internet is sufficient. No idea.

Let us know if you decide to clip some coupons from the Sunday newspaper too! :D

7. gowazzucougs

I am not sure, I have ordered a digital antenna and it should be here by the end of the week. I live somewhat in the boonies, but all 4 major stations have transmitters near the area so I am expecting everything to be good. If I cannot pick up all four I am sending it back.

8. gowazzucougs

Check that not transmitter, translator

9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think you were right the first time.

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    There are websites where you can enter your zipcode and find the channels you are supposed to get over QAM. You can't always get all of them, but there are some really solid antennas out there that give you a bit more reach.

11. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Looking forward to how this turns out. I may join you.

12. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

http://www.playon.tv/

try this u get espn3 and others, & i run it through my ps3 & Wii. awsome program.

13. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I have Roku, and other than netflix if you're a tv show buff Hulu plus thats on there might be a good idea for ya too. Its 7.99 monthly though so if you're cutting costs its not a great idea. Other than Netflix and Hulu though thats about it on Roku.

14. gowazzucougs

Thanks I will look at this site when I get home.

15. gowazzucougs

I think my wife and I have decided to get Roku because it offers more content than Apple TV. She likes the idea of Hulu Plus. The way I see it we will be paying like $20 a month for tv with netflix and Roku which is a lot cheaper than what I am paying now.

16. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Oh yea most def. Hulu plus looks pretty wicked even though I havent tried it out. For what it's worth as well I think ESPN3 is based on who your internet service provider is, not if you currently have cable hooked up or not. For instance my cable company is a local company, that cannot access ESPN 3, but my internet is Windstream, who can, so I get it on the Box. Just all depends on who your provider is from what I understand.

17. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    http://www.antennaweb.org