Cutting Players

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Dru50, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Cutting Players

Shaun, I don't recall (and it isn't addressed in the rules unless I missed it), but are we allowed to cut any players in the offseason?

I'd love to cut Case McCoy this year, he is an awful QB who will never play, but he's only a RS freshman. Ehhhhh.

2. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

It's part of the whole "you can only recruit to fill your 70" thing. If you cut him, then others can cut, and pretty soon you have to keep track of multiple users, "Well I've got 70-56 which equals 14, but I've cut 2 people which means I really only have 12 scholorships to give."

Easier to keep them where they are at... maybe you'll get lucky and transfer.

Hell I've got a Safety I picked up last year that was suppose to be a hard hitter with B speed... came in with 75 spd?!?!?, I'd rather put a LB back in safety then have this guy play.

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    What does the league think?

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Just make him sit the bench for his whole life. The last thing Texas needs is another scholarship opportunity haha

5. Dru50

Sorry, I wasn't asking for any special treatment, I honestly couldn't recall if we were allowed to cut players last year or not.

I can keep him around, no chance he plays for me next year anyway, since I recruited 2 QB's this year. I will take him off the depth chart entirely and pray for him to transfer.

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I honestly don't care either way. I'd be willing to allow people to make cuts, but if it's too much work I have no problem leaving it the way it is.

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I was thinking about this too. I'd like to see us keep the 70 scholarship limit in tact, but allow 1 cut per season. The reason I think so is because EA's recruiting database at some times is very shitty in generating players of need. For instance, I need a kicker this year, but if all that's available and interested in me is a C- kick power kicker, why should I be stuck with this guy for 4 years? If I'm able to recruit a better kicker the following year, I should be able to cut this guy. Same with punters or possibly fullbacks.

Not allowing cuts was something created in prior years games where the cpu had no idea how to recruit and us users could monopolize all the best recruits so taking extra guys and allowing us to cut was really hurting the talent pool the CPU could recruit from. I think that's changed somewhat this year. The CPU is much more competitive in recruiting. I don't want to take extra guys out of the recruiting pool, but I don't think it'll have anywhere near the effect as it would of in prior years games.

8. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I would not have a problem with being able to cut a player a season but that scholly being left open for the following year. For example, Dru recruits his 12 to replace his seniors and transfers then cuts the QB in the Cut Players stage of the offseason but that roster spot remains open for the upcoming year. That way if we are saying our roster is better off without a player then we must suck it up for the following season. Just my 2 pennies.

9. GoGators

Agreed. Recruit to 70, allow a cut down to 69, but then you have to play a man down the next season and lose out on a year of progression. This way, if you get some injuries or are thin at a position, you'll likely think twice about it.

10. Dru50

Agree 100%, and if we were allowed to cut anyone that's what I would plan on doing (going into cuts with 70 guys and cutting McCoy to get to 69).

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    That's reasonable to me.

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I like no cuts. Sim that shit.

13. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Oh god, I was indifferent about cutting, just didn't want to make something that could turn into a pain keeping track off, however I think there should be a shot clock in offseason night.

You get 60 seconds to find your guy and cut him, I'm not about to sit through 10 extra minutes of someone negative recruiting for last 4 weeks, then sit through 15 extra minutes of dudes switching doing non-nobrainer switches (ath to whatever vs LG to RG), only to be stuck because some jack wagon is taking 10 minutes to see who he wants to cut!

60 second cut clock or I'm voting no cut.

14. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I want to cut the horrible kicker I recruited last season, and probably the one I got this season lol. I agree you should only be able to recruit up to 70, and not go over just because you plan on cutting a guy.

I do think you should be able to cut more than 1, if you are fine with playing the season with 67 or 68 guys. A lot of my recruiting class from the first year was the terrible :3stars: players before EA adjusted everything. Some of these guys are terrible and couldn't hold the jock strap of the recruits going to tOSU, Miami, Michigan, Texas, FSU, Alabama, etc.

15. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    @Psycho how about having to announce the cuts prior to the offseason. It sounds like everyone knows who they'd cut.

@Shaun can you process cuts for our teams?

16. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

I was wondering when this was going to come up.

It is valid point, one in which I'm sure is true with not only Clemson and Georgia but with Michigan State and Auburn as well.

Point was, that when the big boys devoured the few good guys in the first recruiting class it left the rest of us to get guys with no choice but to get players that you hoped would progress into something. I myself have about 5-6 players on my squad that are useless, especially now that they turned down the progression to a normal level and have gone with raise the starting recruit ratings. Had they not changed the game so drastically then I'd have no one to blame but myself, however since EA has switched gears back to high stats, lower progression it now is not as simple as stating it was a "weak class" and move on. Instead most of the class has become a "useless class"... something that isn't so realistic.

Most probably I'll keep the guys and pray for a transfer, I'd rather they count negatively towards me recruiting (chance to play rating) and have a chance for them to transfer freeing up a spot, then cut them and guarantee that the spot will remain worthless for the life of their scholarship.

Once again I believe we will prove that an easy cut and dry "I want to cut a player I hate", is never cut and dry.

17. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Definitely cool with that.

I was just invisioning me with on my headset on chewing my fingers till they bleed because someone is looking over their new reruits wondering who to cut, instead of going in knowing who they're going to cut, and taking less then 15 seconds to cut them.

18. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I like this. Good thinking fellas.

19. Dru50

I'm actually less concerned with the recruits from season 1, and I didn't have a great class at all. I usually like to keep my recruits around, and hope they develop.

My question related to the adjusted roster set we used that swapped out a freshman FB on the default Texas roster for Colt's useless younger brother at QB. He is a complete waste of space, but like I said, if the majority wants to do no cuts, that's cool beans with me. I'll just bury him off the depth chart, under a pile of Bevo's droppings, and hope he decides to transfer to North Texas (or K-State).

20. Dru50

In the leagues I've been in where cuts are allowed, I generally know who I want to drop during the current season, and plan my recruiting accordingly.

If we allow each team to cut one player, I'll be done with mine in 2.5 seconds.

21. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Just covering all bases here. If this cuts allowed where can/do we draw the line.

I'm good with what Suge said and what everyone else is going towards, cuts declared before the offseason night so it takes little to no time to actually cut someone, but for the life of the guys scholarship his scholarship is vacant.

22. GoGators

I think you guys are really overcomplicating this. Recruit to a max of 70, same as the rule is now.

You can cut 1 guy. That's it.

I don't think you can announce who your going to cut prior to the offseason because you don't know how your new recruits will play out and what they'll look like coming in.

Cutting 1 guy should literally take 1 minute tops. You go in, if you don't know who you're going to cut, you don't cut anybody, or you cut the lowest overall guy you have. Done. We're not reinventing the wheel here.

23. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

If the scholarship remains vacant after cutting a guy, then why bother cutting? You'd be better off keeping him, hoping he transfers, and then be able to use that scholarship.

I want to cut my kicker McBride who is 46 overall, QB Beck who is a 55, and maybe FB Campbell who is a 52. But then I'd like to be able to use those scholarships next season during recruiting.

However, if we choose to leave it vacant, then I'll keep them because a 55>0 and there's a chance he'd transfer.

24. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Sort of was my point when the thread started, but just because I don't see the point, doesn't mean I would vote against it.

I'll only vote against things that take advance of the "game" or seem to overly complicate a situation, and in this circumstance the only way that this tips the scale towards the user is that if you thin out the position to get a recruiting A in playing time... but I can only see that helping the little guys, and not Texas, therefore I'm not against it.

Neither am I against dumping the shit bags of the first class, I see merritt in that due to the change in EA's policy of handling the recruit classes and progression, basically the way/how we retool and rebuild was completely changed mid season. EA has never f'd with recruiting like this, therefore we hit uncharted territory, so the simple 70 and that's worked before could change... you know like how we no longer have recruiting restrictions.

25. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    IMO leaving a scholarship vacant for the remaining years would oveerly complicate the process. Since most of the concern seems to be over the Class of 11 recruits why don't we allo up to three cut players from that recruiting class with those scholarships being able to be filled during the 2012 season? Just throwing it out there.