"Dad Life" - All Things TDL2

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

"Dad Life" - All Things TDL2

This is the place for updates, advance notices, and whatever comes up in reference to the feeder league. I thought it would be good to have a single place to put this stuff, so it doesn't clutter the general conversation, which should be all about the main league.

On that note - we will be advancing TDL2 on Wednesday night @ 10pm, or earlier if we get our games in.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I want to nip something in the bud. I did not know whether or not to post it in the general board, but since it is about tdl2 i thought it should go here.

I played Oklahoma State tonight in my game. I knew they could score at will on me, and for the most part that didn't happen except for once with 1:30 left in the first half when they went 80 yards in 30 seconds, and then forced me into a three and out and scored again in under 30 seconds.
    Anyway back to my point for posting, I arranged my gameplan around the fact that I did not want them to have the ball at all. I ran the ball 34 times, and I chewed up the clock via gameplans. If this is a no-no I would appreciate knowing it now. I had a top of 24 or 25 minutes to 7 something. I did what I wanted kept the score down and almost pulled the upset, my #3 wr (playing due to injury btw) dropped a touchdown in the final seconds that would have lead to the tie.

I know I have a history with goofy top numbers, so I wanted to preempt this by posting what happened. I even posted one of their touchdowns as well.

Thanks,

and Vtech you are a strawberry douche☺

3. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

the game sounds legit. my only comment is we have all agreed to not touch gameplans under any circumstance unless it is at the end of the game to run clock out. now obviously you can do what you did it would just take longer without using the conservative gameplan. but honestly, id rather take the extra time than have anyone touching the gameplan crap.

my 2 cents.

and thank you for the heads up dude!

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Against these settings, I have no issue with the gameplans. The CPU is using them against us. I don't want them in user games, and I don't want the run/pass commits ever.

If the CPU is stripping the ball, for example, I want us to be able to counter that, just so we don't end up with silly turnovers when we're trying to play conservative. With the new sliders, I say use whatever gameplans you want. Just keep them out of user games.

As for milking the clock, I think the chew clock option allows us to chew too much clock. In eight minute quarters, each snap can drain, comparatively speaking, twice as much game time as it should. I think we should limit it to the last two minutes of each half, or late in a blowout when we're just trying to get it over with.

5. vatechhokie01

i cant say i disagree with this but my first thought arch...is this is all just a bit confusing. not really, but could be and seems easier to never dabble. cuz like you said, i do not want them in user games.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just think the CPU is such a tough out now, that we should let guys play whatever style they want. I would like to see us pull off the occasional upset, and I don't think taking the gloves off is going to make us unbeatable in any way ... but it might help us steal one here and there, which, against this level of difficulty, I'm totally OK with.

I kind of consider it a concession to the guys who are really having trouble. That group includes me. I'd be fine with this change across the board, as long as user games are straight up all the way, no matter what.

7. vatechhokie01

fair enough.

8. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I lost 83-0....that might of helped keep it to 60-0 or something.

9. vatechhokie01

lmao. post of the day right there.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

So if I manually drain the clock is there any problem? Against good teams I want to keep the ball as along as possible and limit their touches. I don't see any other way to win. Asking my defense to make 10 stands compared to 15 is a big difference.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I still wouldn't do this. I think we should limit it to the last minutes of each half. It's just too powerful. You can essentially cut a game into a fourth of a real game. That's too much.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Okay, so snaping by the 15 second mark is okay? Or not? I want to controll the ball as much as possible, and this is a real concept that coaches employ all the time. I want to find a realistic balance for our shorter time period.

Ok State scored two touchdowns in less than 60 seconds and I had the ball for a full possession during that time as well.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm more worried about the 24-7 TOP swing than anything else. Even in a good ball control situation, three to four times as much possession is unheard of. 3:2 happens, and sometimes teams get doubled up, but I'd hate to see an entire season with 3:1 or 4:1 ratios, even against hurry up offenses. I think ball control should be maintained using playcalls rather than intentionally sitting on it and clock watching the entire game. I don't mind if a guy takes a few extra ticks to snap the ball, but I'd call it unsim if I were playing the other team in a user game, and I don't think anyone would object. 24-7 is the largest swing I have ever seen, and the CPU is much better than it has ever been, meaning this game might have been 27-4 under different settings. That's working the system, any way you cut it.

I say play the game at a reasonable pace, chew the last minutes in each half, but don't play pure keep away unless we decide to move to full quarters. Otherwise, it's just too much of as game changer.

And I don't care how quickly they score. That's your job to stop'em.

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Yeah I hear you, and can deal with it. I feel like my play calling was in line with my gameplan, 34 runs, and I only passed when I had to do so is realistic for that conservative game plan. On third and long I was routinely calling dives and punting.
    I will adjust and hopefully be okay with your expectations.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

That was a bit of a dick move...lol

16. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i played my iowa state vs. NIU game last night pretty drunk. BTW, iowa state's playbook absolutely BLOWS.

There aren't any non-shotgun formation except for goalline. i cant for the life of me run out of shotgun so i had to pass the whole f'n game. that's retarded. i'm gonna use a diff playbook my next game.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You need a mercy rule, Nancy?

Now that's a dick move. :D

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think Alabama has the best mixed book in the game. I've been tempted, but I have to turn in my man card if I start using the Pistol. :)

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

we're in week 2 by the way

20. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Hi guys- I jumped in last night as Indiana- I previously played a few seasons over in Bowling for Roses (NCAA10)- looking forward to building a Hoosier Powerhouse here!

21. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

welcome tom, glad to have ya

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Upset alert - Vandy beats #16 LSU 20-14. Fun game. Close all the way.

23. TD351

TD351 Walk On

nice win Archie! see you in the Outback Bowl! ok- maybe a little early to make that prediction....

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I needed a fumble in the end zone to win this one. A bowl game is still a pipe dream, but it is much easier to find four winnable games among those I have left than it was to find six before the season started.

25. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Man, my game was a complete ass whipping. Lost my star HB for three weeks on the second drive of the game and then my star QB on the third drive. It was getting stupid and the freaking computer was not letting up. I could not seem to bring down the CSU runners at all. It was one VERY long game.