"Dad Life" Slider Lab

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

"Dad Life" Slider Lab

Since sliders are going to be a big part of how we play, I have been spending a lot of time looking for a set that will give us some kind of balance, and make the CPU a real challenge.

Thing is ... I keep starting with someone else's set. I think, if we're going to do ti right, and set things up according to our skills and our teams, we need to build that set ourselves.

I'm going to sticky this thread, start with base AA sliders, and work things until I get a set I like. I will also play sets and setting you guys post, especially if you happen to be a big fan of a particular set.

We have the last few weeks of the season, bowl season, and the off-season to work up something for next year. Let's take our time, and develop our own style of game. All thoughts are welcome.

I'll post the first set that looks like a keeper, and we'll adjust from there.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Here we go. This set is a beginning, and it will be the only one I post. As we make changes, I'll edit this table. Please spend some time working with these, or creating your own. Do whatever you like with them, and post your thoughts. Stats are helpful:

Notes and dates of changes posted below

Sliders & Settings
    Column 1 Column 2
    Difficulty: AA
    Quarters: 8 mins
    Speed: Slow
    Threshold: 0

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 30 40
    Pass Block 50 50
    WR Catching 45 (+5) 50
    RB Ability 50 70 (+15)
    Run Blocking 30 100 (+10)
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 45 65
    Pass Rush 100 100
    Interceptions 50 70 (-10)
    Rush Defense 0 (-20) 75 (+5)
    Tackling 45 (-5) 50
    Special Teams HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    FG Power 20 20
    FG Accuracy 20 55 (+5)
    P Power 50 50
    P Accuracy 100 100
    Kickoff Power 20 20

Note: When playing, use teams and/or playbooks you know. Give the CPU your best shot. I want to know what kinds of stats we can generate against each set of sliders we come up with.

8/23 - After getting no user run game yet, I maxed CPU run block, dropped User rush D to zero, and upped CPU Running back ability to 70. I figured I'd go extreme and work my way back. Playing Oregon vs. the power run game of Stanford. Made the adjustments in game as I went. Started out stuffing the run. Now, I'm getting bowled over a bit.

8/23 - Bumped CPU run defense by five, bringing it to 75.

8/26 - Bumped user WR catch to 45. Pass heavy offenses are getting double digit drops per game. Bumped CPU FG ACC to 55. CPU has been missing quite a few short ones.

8/27 - Dropped User tackling to 45, dropped CPU INT to 70.

3. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

I liked these leaps and bound above our current set. The pace, speed, and feel was just better. Of course that is all over one whole game played.

I played Tennessee at Tennesse. I won 24-17. Tennessee had 350yds (100 rushing) offense to my 300 (200 rushing). I averaged 6yds/carry. Tyrod was 10 for 19 for 100 yds and 1 INT. Matt Simms was 20 for 30 for 240yds 0 TDs 0INTS.

Thoughts:
    -running could be a tad easy (my rbs are good obviously) but I really liked it. Finally wasnt getting chased from behind by slow DTs as much
    -CPU running game was non-existent. This was the biggest problem I saw. 99 rushing yds of theirs came on 1 play. they did have some shots and such and this 1 play was pretty legit.
    -finally eliminated broken tackle mania. it felt SO freakin good. guys tackle. and the CPU can still move the ball.
    -throwing is significantly harder. i do think it would already be much better having played one game, the biggest thing seeming to be sensitivity on the hard/soft throw/press of the button...but this was really nice having to focus, pay attention and get rid of it quick. much harder, much better.
    -random, but KO and punt returns for both CPU and user seemed much more doable...like you can actually get some yds
    -CPU QB is good but not robo QB... i was actually waiting for the comeback but reasonably stopped them on a final minute drive to win
    -good DB coverage by both CPU and humans
    -love love loved the running game...just felt good (again, humans are able to break tackles but its not running fest either)
    -big play potential seemed there for both teams...mostly based off speed which has been missing a bit i think
    -play action actually worked the 3 times i called it
    -didnt run spread and only tried running with QB twice, one of which was for a 20yd TD run

thats the summary. loved the first go though. very refreshing. i got up, never felt like i was threatened but the CPU both put up a fight and didn't go into robo-elite team at the end.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

CPU running was an issue for me also.

I tried to tune it with the run block slider, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

The difference between tackling and running back ability is the key here, I think. How many tackles are broken is a product of the gap between these numbers. Right now, it's a 55 to 50 split, and guys aren't getting away that often. Our current set has a much larger gap, and we have all seen the results. So, maybe I'll try a 10 point gap, then 15, to see what changes. I don't want any craziness, but I do want the CPU to shake us more often than this set allows.

5. vatechhokie01

i agree with this test. but...as an aside, something that might not have been said yet...

the cpu running has ALWAYS been an issue in this game. this might be unfixable in a sense. i would rather have a cpu that can score while we can still tackle than screwing the feel just for a few cpu rushing yds. whatever the case, the human offense and defense (aside from the mentioned cpu running) felt sooooo much better.

test on friend.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The gap in this set of sliders is small, and the gap in our set is huge. I think we can find a medium that will give us the balance without the rather unreal feeling we get from watching a guy bust nine tackles in one play.

7. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Alright, just played a game with these. On to something potentially very, very good.
    Was WVU.
    Played Pen State (that suck ass school up in middle of nowhere PA). Lost 31-26. 5 turnovers killed me.

Good
    -I lost. I don't mind losing if I get beat.
    -Running is really fun. You can actually get to the corner past defensive ends and get a few extra yards.
    -Sustained drives that use clock.
    -Defense feels good
    -Speed of the game is great.

Bad
    -only punted once. too easy to move the ball?
    -too easy to run? i didnt put up ridiculous numbers, but can see where some might be able to.

We will still have high scoring games, but we will actually lose a few of them.

8. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I've played with similar AA sliders in the past and feel that, by far, they present the best feel. If it's a tad bit too easy to score/run, I suggest turning the CPU run rush, tackling, and pass coverage up a hair. Despite the added difficulty in making a big play, the speed to do so will still be there.

9. vatechhokie01

ironically, 31-26 isnt shabby for a high score. i agree with everything said. just love the feel and think these can be tweaked to the best we've had.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think I'll try to work on the CPU run game for starters, and then maybe give the CPU a bit of a boost defensively. I think we're on to the right set. We just need to adjust.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

New tweaks added. See the notes in the initial post.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

First game with 8/23 adjusted set:

Oregon (me) @ Stanford

I won 17-14.

CPU ran for 112 yards on 36 carries. I didn't adjust their sliders until the second quarter, so those numbers should be slightly higher, since they ran better late. I played base 4-3, cover 2 man most of the game, just to get an understanding of what the CPU can do blocking man on man. It was pretty good. Guys broke tackles, but I it wasn't crazy at all. Plus, I managed a few bit hits, which have been rare with our set.

Now, I played a book I don't know, and a style I never play, but I could still move the ball. I only managed 217 yards of total offense (to their 279) but it didn't feel unfair at all. I just made some bonehead plays (threw two picks - one was a dropped pass).

I was 16 of 27 for 197 yards, TD, 2 INT.
    I ran for very little, but I was running read options and stuff with a guy who has no legs, so it wasn't bad. I just didn't know the plays, and made mistakes. I got sacked a few times, too.

Stewart from Stanford ran for 118 and two scores on 31 attempts. It's 3.8 a carry, and he got better late.

Luck was 16 of 23, 167 yards, no TDs or INTs. Not his best day, but he was victimized by a few drops.

Overall, it felt pretty good. However, the CPu missed three FGs, two of which were close (in the 20-40 yard range). They might need an accuracy boost if this keeps up.

Also, in two games with this set (I played a bit as OSU) I have run a kickoff and a punt back for TDs. It was fun, but if the tweaking unbalances the kicking game, we might have to look at speed restrictions for return guys

13. vatechhokie01

gosh it felt good to at least have a shot on returns. maybe we could at least increase CPU punt power if things got out of hand to see if that helps any.

14. vatechhokie01

absolutely weird game @ Wisconsin. i had time to play a little bit. after 1 Quarter and a half:

-I was losing 38-13, haha...
    -I had five...count em five freakin fumbles. And yes, i always hold R1 at the end of runs (notice I only have 2 fumbles the entire season in our league). They returned three fumbles for TDs
    -I ran the opening kickoff back...sigh
    -despite the score, I could do anything I wanted whenever in the run game. Had 120yds on 10 carries, no big runs, all just about 10yd runs and they posed no threat
    -love the human passing game
    -the cpu passing game was pretty darn good but did throw a few errant passes

crazy game. dissapointing a bit but one game.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I had some turnover issues as well, on both sides. I don't think any slider settings have anything to do with this. Maybe AA CPU teams use more of the strategy stuff, and end up with high risk, high reward kind of situations.

Personally, the running game has been tough on me. I have done well, but I find myself hitting one big play that skews the numbers. Especially late, when the CPU gets aggressive ... I can't seem to run late at all, especially if I'm out front.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Played another, this time with my Buckeyes @ Maryland. It was a pure defensive struggle.

I managed only 180 yards of total offense, and gave up 193.

I won 17-7, but it was 10-7 until the final minute, when, after sacking the QB on a 4th down attempt, I got the ball at his three, and punched it in a play later. My other TD was a fumble recovery by the defense.

Pryor was 5-17 for 59 yards and no picks or tds.

I went 2-12 on third down.

It was a pretty tough game, but not unheard of. The Terps were at home, and I didn't play so well. I think the (+5) bump in CPU run defense might tighten things up a bit. I had a really hard time. I managed 121 on the ground, but it took me 29 carries.

I gave up 188 through the air on 16-30 passing by my opponent, and I lost the time of possession by sixteen seconds.

What I like:

Tackles are up, so maybe we could compete for end of year honors.

Running is hard, so I don't think we can duplicate 200 yard days each week.

Passing is hard, and unforgiving. Pryor was (understandably) a bit inaccurate.

What I don't like:

Not much. I suppose I'll have to get trounced to get frustrated by this set (and I know it will happen) but so far, it's playing smooth. I think I'll run this one back and see what changes.

17. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

This excites me! I definitely sense some losses coming for me in the near future. I work until 8 PM tonight, but I'll test e'm out myself once I get settled in.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is quite different from my experience so far. Still, getting a variety of outcomes is probably a good thing. I bumped the CPu run defense a tad, and I have only produced one big run since. I think once I get used to it, I'll be able to move the ball better, but I'm beginning to think it's not ever going to be easy.

I also thnk guys will get beat with these, and that will cause some frustration. We're not accustomed to getting beat. If we do it right, losses will come for reasons we understand rather than as fluke occurrences.

The CPU run game is still deficient, but we have some room to work with. Our sliders have a 15-50 gap between tackling and RBA (or 35 points) while the AA set is 50-70 (a 20 point gap). So, we can move things around gradually, and get a few more CPu yards on the ground, without making things too nutty. We'll get there. I think I'm going to add a 5 point bump or drop somewhere, just to see what happens.

I'm also going to play a bad team at home, and see what that kind of result that matchup produces.

19. vatechhokie01

im pretty excited about these. but you heard it here first:

1) bring your big boy diapers cuz there is gonna be some losses
    2) you better friggin limit juke moves and hold R1 or you will lose fumbles

love the challenge.

20. vatechhokie01

im pretty excited about these. but you heard it here first:

1) big your big boy diapers cuz there is gonna be some losses
    2) you better friggin limit juke moves and hold R1 or you will lose fumbles

love the challenge.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I agree. If you think your squad should win every game just by showing up, this set is going to piss you off. However, I'm not seeing anything that looks off (by off, I mean similar to the broken tackles in our current set - stuff that makes you feel helpless) and the CPu isn't doing the unstoppable thing nearly as much.

I think AA has some catch-up logic built in, though, and they'll score in similar quantities to what you score. That's a guess, but it feels like the CPu makes plays when I make plays.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I bumped CPU FG ACC by five, and I upped WR catch by 5 for users. The bad guys are missing a lot of chances, and pass heavy user offenses are getting double digit drops per game.

Might not take effect until the next advance, so this is really just an FYI.

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Easy now that is where I grew up! And we actually have academics compared to eee iiii eeee oooo U.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just got pummeled by Cincinnati. Lost 45-7 at home playing as Fresno.

I turned the ball over three times (2 fumbles, 1 INT) and they didn't turn it over at all. Collaros threw for almost 400, and my D was awful.

Sounds about right. Fresno is bad.

Still, my team is a C+, and I think Cincy is only a B, so it's not like we were worlds apart. And still I got manhandled. Only managed 180 yards of offense, or something like that.

It looks like we might be putting together some big boy sliders here. My only issue was the User drops. I had a bunch, and a few that killed drives. I think I could have made this one 35-10 or 35-14 if a few balls were caught, but I didn't feel like the game was stolen from me or anything. I just got whooped. But I honestly think, if I really played well, I could have won it. Tough game.

25. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

NIU vs Iowa State,

I was able to run options and what not with my starting back, a quick back but with anyone else nada. I could pass alright had some wide open plays, also had some wide open drops. My guys actually broke some tackles for the first time in a long time. I almost blew it by going for a FG with 41 seconds left instead of punting. It was a 44 yarder into the wind. So they had good field position and drove down for a 37 yarder to win, which he pushed. Huskies win