Dallas Cowboys & Other NFL Rapport

Discussion in 'Between The Lines' started by Iron Mickey, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

2. Iron Mickey

LSU top-ranked cornerback Patrick Peterson told National Football Post tonight that no one has told him not go and said he wants to go to New York and walk across the stage.

===========================================

Patrick Peterson wants to attend the NFL draft in New York​

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Patrick-Peterson-wants-to-attend-the-NFL-draft-in-New-York.html

In the wake of an ESPN report that the NFL Players Association has contacted top draft prospects and requested that they not attend the draft, LSU top-ranked cornerback Patrick Peterson told National Football Post tonight that no one has told him not go and said he wants to go to New York and walk across the stage.
    "I heard about that," Peterson said. "No one has contacted me to go to New York or not go to New York. I would like to go if possible. That's what you play football for.
    "That's a big moment to go up there and shake the commissioner's hand and get that jersey and hat. It means a lot. I definitely want to go and no one has told me not to go. So, we'll see what happens. "
    Per the report, the NFLPA, which has decertified, is not ordering prospects not to go to the draft, but isrecommending that they not go.
    A source told ESPN that the union will provide an identical experience "down the street."
    "As of right now, this is 100 percent happening," a source told ESPN. "This is going down."
    Per the report, the NFLPA has made alternative plans for players to appear on a competing network after being drafted.
    "We plan to invite the 15-20 top prospects and their families to New York as we normally do for this once-in-a-lifetime experience," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "And, as always, it is the decision of the players and their families as to whether they attend."
    An agent who represents one of the top draft picks said that he had no plans to instruct his client to not attend the draft, saying it will be entirely up to the player if he wants to go to Radio City Music Hall in New York.

3. Iron Mickey

PRO DAYS

Oregon State’s Rodgers invokes Sanders at workout

[​IMG]

LINK: http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/11/ore...vokes-sanders-at-workout/?module=HP_spotlight

It can ever be a bad thing to be compared to Barry Sanders — not even in the smallest capacity.
    So it goes without saying the fact that Oregon State RB Jacquizz Rodgers invoked the Hall of Famer’s name after the Beavers’ pro day held on March 11 says something about his potential.
    After Rodgers (5-foot-6 3/8, 197 pounds) worked out in front of 25 teams last week, he was described as showing “Barry Sanders-type of quickness,” according to one observer. Rodgers certainly played like him last season, rushing for 1,184 yards and 14 touchdowns.
    For his workout, he did all of the NFL Scouting Combine drills again, improving on his 4.56-second 40-yard dash time in Indy. Rodgers ran it this time in 4.49 and 4.51. He also had a 4.29 short shuttle and 7.33 3-cone drill. He followed that up with a 34-inch vertical jump and 9-8 broad jump.
    If you ask me, I think this kid could fit well in a multiple-back system.
    Notable among the other 10 guys who worked outside on FieldTurf:
    C Alex Linnenkohl (6-1 7/8, 297) — He broad jumped 7-7 and benched 225 pounds 31 times, but stood on everything else at the combine.
    DE/OLB Gabe Miller (6-3 ¼, 250) — He was not at the combine. He ran 4.61 and 4.63 40s, had a 36-inch vertical, a 9-6 broad jump, a 4.22 short shuttle, a 6.93 3-cone drill, and did 33 bench press reps. With his performance, he probably vaulted himself to become a lower-round pick.
    Stephen Paea. Remember him? The guy who set the combine bench press record with 49 reps? He couldn’t work out because of an undisclosed injury, but will do so at a date to be determined.

4. Iron Mickey

Name: Jordan Miller
    College: Southern Number: 90
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 298
    Position: DT Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2011
    40 Time: 5.19 40 Low: 5.08 40 High: 5.30
    Projected Round: Stock:
    Rated number 105 out of 182 DT's 999 / 2671 TOTAL
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DT

5. Iron Mickey

West Texas A&M Stephen Burton impressed at his pro day workouts

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/12/burton-trying-to-be-latest-west-texas-am-find/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

West Texas A&M might not have the biggest name draw, but the university has produced NFL talent of late.
    In 2010, Bears OT J’Marcus Webb went from seventh-round pick to starting 12 games for the Bears. The Rams used a sixth-round choice on DE Eugene Sims last year and on QB Keith Null, who is now with the Panthers, in 2009.

This time around, it appears WR Stephen Burton could be the one to hear his named called. He was impressive during a positional workout with 15 teams in attendance, but it was his outstanding time in the 10-yard split in the 40-yard dash that really stood out. He had a time of 1.46 seconds, which speaks to his quickness as a player and could help him go as high as late in the third round.
    Here are some other notables from the 11 players who showcased their skills outdoors, on FieldTurf:

Burton (6-foot-1 3/8, 224 pounds) – He had a 40 time of 4.38 and 4.44 seconds. He also turned in a 35-inch vertical and 10-4 broad jump to go with 19 reps on the bench.

CB Tae Evans (5-10 5/8, 193) – He had a 4.60 and 4.69 in the 40, 4.27 short shuttle and 7.06 three-cone drill. He posted a 34 1/2 vertical, a 10-1 broad jump and 16 reps on the bench.

QB Taylor Harris (6-2 3/8, 233) – He ran 5.15 and 5.17 in the 40, had a 7.32 three-cone and 4.68 short shuttle. He also posted a 24 vertical and 8-4 broad. He showed great arm strength, but lacks top-notch athleticism.

6. Iron Mickey

http://www.gbnreport.com/prodayupdates.html

PITTSBURGH
    <>At the Pitt workout, both DE Jabaal Sheard and safety Dom DeCicco (6-3, 231) also participated in positional drills for LBs. DeCicco, who was not at the combine, reportedly ran in the mid-to high 4.6 range for the 40, but was quicker in the shuttles and had a solid 37" VL. RB Dion Lewis reportedly ran in then 4.5 range for the 40, a slight improvement on his 4.57 time at the combine, but probably not enough to significantly affect his draft grade. Meanwhile, DE Greg Romeus who tore an ACL during the season did post 24 reps in the BP but did not participate otherwise.

FLORIDA
    Just about every NFL has at least one scout at the Gators' pro day, but New England coach Bill Belichick and Jacksonville G.M. Gene Smith were the only senior team officials in attendance. S Ahmad Black again ran a 4.7 type 40, roughly the same time as at the combine, which is very slow for a DB.

LSU
    Most of the top LSU prospects including CB Pat Petersion, WR Terrence Tolliver, and DT Drake Nevis stood on their combine numbers and passed on the physical tests, but will take part in some of the positional drills. LB Kelvin Sheppard, who did not run at the combine because of a tweaked hamstring, finally did run the 40 at the LSO pro day, but came away disappointed as he barely cracked the 4.8 mark. Other former Tigers that did test at the LSU pro day included safety Jai Eugene (5-10, 201), who ran a 4.60 40, while posting a 32" VL and short shuttle and 3-cone drill times of 4.32 and 7.28 respectively, both of which were slower than all safeties at the combine. Meanwhile, RB Richard Murphy (6-1, 208) also ran a 4.60 40, while adding a 34" VL, 21 BP reps and shuttles times of 4.36 and 7.20, neither of which again were particularly quick. Unheralded CB Daniel Graff (5-11, 180) ran a 4.54 40 and posted times of 4.19 in the short shuttle and 6.88 in the 3-cone which were also relatively slow compared to the numbers posted at the position at the combine.

7. Iron Mickey

BRADY VS. NFL: A PRIMER

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Brady-v-NFL-a-primer.html

[​IMG]
    VON MILLER

Before we return to the “he said/she said” phase of the NFL labor dispute, I thought I would focus on what is actually in front of us as the reality of the NFL right now. Thus, here is a primer on the case of Brady v. NFL, a case whose eventual settlement will be the basis for the next Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) in the NFL.

Why are the Players (Brady, etc.) able to sue?
    Since the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) has decertified and relinquished their role as the collective bargaining representative of NFL Players, NFL players are now a non-unionized workforce. As such, they can now argue that certain conduct of the NFL that is blessed in labor law -- through the presence of a union and collectively bargained agreements -- is now illegal under antitrust law. Players claim that the 32 individual franchises conspire by implementing these rules. Since the bargaining relationship with the NFLPA has ended, the NFL is no longer immune to antitrust scrutiny, and players are now able to bring lawsuits against the NFL.

Miller is the named rookie plaintiff.

Who are the plaintiffs?
    Besides Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees, the named plaintiffs are: Vincent Jackson, Ben Leber, Logan Mankins, Brian Robison, Osi Umenyiora, Mike Vrabel, and Von Miller. Beyond that, this is a class action lawsuit, meaning the aforementioned players are representing essentially all NFL players as well as those eligible to become NFL players. The named plaintiffs also represent different categories of players such as recently signed (Brady), restricted by the events of the past year(Jackson, Mankins), having one year remaining on their contract (Brees), playing under a franchise tag (Manning), a free agent (Leber) and an incoming rookie (Miller).
    What do the Players want?
    The Players are requesting:
    • An injunction to stop the NFL lockout and force teams to open their facilities to players and transact business;
    • Restraints on their earning ability (lockout, draft, salary cap, franchise/transition tag) declared illegal;
    • Players currently under contract to be immediately paid;
    • Treble (triple) damages for all players due to these restraints, as well as costs and attorneys fees.
    • A declaration that the NFL has waived its right to assert any “sham” defense – meaning that the NFL cannot contest the NFLPA’s decertification as illegitimate.
    What do the Players really want?
    A better CBA than they were offered in bargaining. Players think they can procure better terms through litigation than the NFL offered at the bargaining table, as was the case in 1993 in the Reggie White v. NFL class-action lawsuit.

Do the Players have a good claim? What is their likelihood of success?
    If this case ever gets to court – which I think it will not -- the Players will have good arguments but may have trouble countering the NFL’s “competitive balance” justification. All the restraints – salary cap, player draft, franchise tags – serve to even the field, leading to a higher-quality product, increasing fan interest, and driving up the NFL’s profitability (of which the Players share a portion). Also, in American Needle v. NFL the U.S. Supreme Court hinted that competitive balance provides a proper justification in antitrust litigation.

Will Judge Nelson have responsibility over this case?
    Yes. However, Judge Nelson is far from the end of the line. Regardless of the outcome, either party may appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, where a randomly selected panel of three judges would then hear the case. The determination of the Eighth Circuit is then appealable to the U.S. Supreme Court.?

What is the NLRB and how are they involved?
    The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) has both an investigatory department and an adjudicatory department made up of 40 Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) that hear and decide cases. On February 14th the NFL filed an unfair labor practice claim with the NLRB alleging that the NFLPA had engaged in “surface bargaining” and failed to deal in good faith.

The NFL is arguing that the NFLPA's decertification is not legitimate and that they had long planned to dissolve and file an antitrust suit, pointing to the NFLPA’s autumn decertification tour to all 32 teams as evidence. The Players argue that the NFL’s claim of a "sham" decertification is waived by language in the Settlement and Stipulation Agreement (SSA) from the prior CBA.

This is where it gets complicated. Both the CBA and SSA provisions state that the waiver of the "sham" defense is only “after the expiration” of the CBA. Since the NFL filed the claim three weeks prior to the expiration of the CBA, it seems as though the waiver may not apply. Nevertheless, reasonable minds may differ, and this language is subject to disputed interpretations by the NFL and the Players.

If the NLRB agrees with the NFL’s position, an NLRB ALJ will hear the matter. The losing party may appeal this decision to the NLRB’s Board – five members appointed by the President. The NLRB Board’s order is appealable to a U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, whose judgment may be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

What is the key to the April 6th Preliminary Injunction hearing?
    The Players will have to show “immediate and irreparable harm” from the lockout, arguing that every opportunity to be at the team’s facility is necessary to their short careers in football.
    If the Player’s successfully prove the harm, the lockout will be lifted while the antitrust litigation proceeds. The NFL would then most likely impose 2010 rules for its business (no salary cap, six years to unrestricted free agency, 30% rule, franchise and transition tags, etc).

And is the television “lockout insurance” case still ongoing?
    Yes. Judge David Doty will determine the appropriate remedies to be issued to the NFLPA. With their ongoing themes of transparency, the NFLPA has asked to publicly release all of the documents involved in this case. In response, the NFL argues that these documents are confidential and should be kept sealed, although they have provided redacted (edited) versions.

Is there a timeline for this mess to get sorted out?
    Litigation can be and often is a painfully prolonged process. This lawsuit’s precursor, White v. NFL, took years before a settlement was reached. A ruling on the Players’ motion for preliminary injunction will come soon after April 6. If the preliminary injunction is granted, it is likely that NFL operations will resume just in time for the NFL Draft.

Meanwhile, both sides will continue the rhetoric and spin that have characterized this relationship, save for a few days of mediator-imposed silence a couple of weeks ago.

Again, welcome to the brave new world of Courtroom football!
    Follow me on Twitter at adbrandt.

8. Iron Mickey

Time for Mock Draft's

1 ) Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    2 ) Denver Broncos - Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama
    3 ) Buffalo Bills - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    4 ) Cincinnati Bengals - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    5 ) Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    6 ) Cleveland Browns - A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    7 ) San Francisco 49ers - Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
    8 ) Tennessee Titans - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    9 ) Dallas Cowboys - Tyron Smith, OT, USC
    10 ) Washington Redskins - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    11 ) Houston Texans -J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
    12 ) Minnesota Vikings - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    13 ) Detroit Lions - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    14 ) St. Louis Rams - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
    15 ) Miami Dolphins - Mike Pouncey, G, Florida
    16 ) Jacksonville Jaguars - Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    17 ) New England Patriots - Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    18 ) San Diego Chargers - Anthony Castanzo, OT, Boston College
    19 ) New York Giants - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    20 ) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    21 ) Kansas City Chiefs - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    22 ) Indianapolis Colts - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
    23 ) Philadelphia Eagles - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    24 ) New Orleans Saints - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    25 ) Seattle Seahawks - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    26 ) Baltimore Ravens - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    27 ) Atlanta Falcons - Justin Houston, DE, Georgia
    28 ) New England Patriots - Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    29 ) Chicago Bears - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL)
    30 ) New York Jets - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    31 ) Pittsburgh Steelers - Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    32 ) Green Bay Packers - Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

• Like Like x 2
  9. Iron Mickey

[​IMG]
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Small-school-OT-David-Mims-is-no-longer-a-sleeper.html

Small school OT David Mims is no longer a “sleeper”

When I was going over small school tape this summer, I was instantly intrigued by the size of Virginia Union OL David Mims who at 6-8 and 350+ pounds was at the time one of the bigger prospects in the entire draft. Now, it was pretty obvious that he didn’t have a firm grasp on what he was doing from a technique standpoint. However, for his size he was an impressive athlete with a long, strong set of arms, could bend and displayed some natural explosion off the football. He was an absolute dominant force at the D-II level and really opened my eyes with his ability to get out to the second level, breakdown and just destroy opponents on contact.

Fast-forward to his pro day on Friday and now Mims proved he possesses the measurables to warrant a draftable grade. He weighed in at 331-pounds, posted a 40-time of 5.31 seconds and also pounded out 29-reps on the bench with just over 36-inch arms.

At 6-8, 331-pounds he’s definitely more of a right-sided player at the next level who is going to need some proper time to develop. However, physically and athletically the guy certainly possesses an NFL caliber skill set. He carries his weight well, has a thick base, long arms and displays natural fluidity and change of direction skills through contact when engaged.

Mims also still has a ton of upside to his game and after his impressive pro day workout he definitely has scouts buzzing about his long term potential. I spoke with a scout this weekend who told me following his workout, “Unfortunately he’s not a sleeper anymore.”

Last year small school developmental tackles Ramon Harewood (6th round, Ravens) and J’Marcus Webb
    (7th round, Bears) both had similar physical attributes to Mims that warranted a late round draft grade and both now look like potential long term NFL players as they continue to develop. And I think Mims fits that same kind of bill this year. He will end up being a later round guy needing some time to develop and learn the nuances of the NFL game, before putting himself in position to fight for some playing time 2/3 years down the line as an NFL right tackle.

Follow me on twitter: @WesBunting

10. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

11. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

I may skip the first 10 minutes of the draft so I don't have to watch Cam's cheating ass get picked #1. Every time he smiles it makes me want to punch an infant.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iron Mickey

thats pretty funny right there.

I love the Draft...Wings, Beer, Liquor, Porn, F' Bombing the ESPN morons Mel Kiper and Todd McFagg, and enjoying the NFL Networks coverage on the Draft (particularly Mike Mayock & Charles Davis)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I always watch the draft with Raiders fans. Just make sure you give them a little space when their pick comes up. It's great stuff to watch them get all excited and then bam! Rolando McClain, WTF, we already have a pro bowl linebacker, oh wait we just traded him for a 4th rounder? Put's a smile on my face just thinking about it.

14. Iron Mickey

lmao

15. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:

i hope the cowboys dont pick Smith..we have had bad luck with OTs from USC..remember Jacob Rogers...

I would like to see them either pick up Prince or trade down to mid first and pick up another late second/early third...

Good mock tho

16. JFunk34

Don't get me wrong I fucking love the draft. And Mayock is by far the best IMO.

Rolando is a fucking beast.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iron Mickey

Thanks...I hope Peterson falls to them (thats asking alot...i know) or they trade down 5-10 spots and pick up another 1 or 2

18. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

The last two years I haven't even watched espns coverage of the draft. Herman is a jackass and they spend no time talking about the actual players getting drafted after round 1. The NFL network guys do a much better job covering the event.

Nice mock G. I think the bears will go OL, but CB is definitely a possibility. I also wouldn't be shocked to see them draft a big WR (like J. Baldwin out of Pitt).

19. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Wait, whaatttt?

20. Iron Mickey

Yeah, I love the NFL Network guys. I rarely...and i mean rarely check out BSPN.

I think Baldwin would be a good pickup for the Bears for sure. Also, I have seen alot of ppl say Martz would like another speed demon to do some of the stuff he did with Az Hakim back in the day with the Rams.

You think they should continue to put Devin Hester @WR or let him go back to full time duty as a specialist?

21. Iron Mickey

:)

22. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

With the change to the kickoff rules, he probably continues to play WR. Word from Chicago media is that Lovie/Angelo would like to get one big WR target for Cutler, since he was so successful playing with a guy like Brandon Marshall.

Another route they could go is DT if someone slides that would be good value.

23. Iron Mickey

Here's what some of the guys on NFL.com have projected right now. I need to see if Gil Brandt and Mayock have theirs up yet.

ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 08 23.48.gif ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 08 23.47.gif

24. Iron Mickey

Pretty neat feature I watched this morning. Thought I would put it up. I like both these guys, especially Marcel

@JFunk34
    @Dru50

25. JFunk34

I love Marcel. I wish he hadn't struggled with injuries in his career. He will be a great player for some one.