Dallas Ready For a New Start

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by CaptMoe, Sep 6, 2013.

1. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Jul 27, 2012
    Jerry Jones is finally where most fans have been wanting him to be for the past 10yrs: out of football. Now the question is, was it the right time for him to sell? And was Moe Valdes the right owner?

We'll give Moe this: he's a lifer. A Cowboy fan since the 80s when Tony Dorsett, Danny White and Tony Hill were considered the Triplets. He saw this team go from 1-15 to Super Bowl Champs. He has seen them struggle in the playoffs and he has seen Jerry bring in coach after coach trying to get back to the glory days. "I am by no means the savior for this team", said the newly crowned owner. "I am happy to be running things here but, I will defer to those with a lot more knowledge than me when the issues get too complicated."

First order of business: keeping the coaching staff intact. "I am a Jason Garrett fan and I'm a fan of the 4-3. I think making the switch was the right thing for this team to do and I plan on seeing this transformation through." With that said, the offense will remain pretty much unchanged, personnel wise, though the playcalling may change a bit. Romo, DeMarco Murray, Dez, Austin and Witten all return. Rookie WR Terrance Williams got added to the mix and the staff is expecting big things from him as well as from rookie TE Gavin Escobar. "Both guys will present mismatches that the defense will have to account for. We're expecting some growing pains from both of them but, they've looked good this summer. And that's very encouraging."
    The one position of weakness on this offense is, once again, the offensive line. LT and C seem to be the only solid positions. But the team will be actively pursuing upgrades at OG and RT, though they expect Doug Free to bounce back from the lackluster year he had.

The defense, sporting a fresh new 4-3 look, will feature some big name players at different positions. Ware and Spencer are now DEs and will present a challenge for most OTs in one-on-one battles. And to help out inside, Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher have moved to DT. Hatcher has been unstoppable in scrimmages and the team hopes he continues that high-intensity in the regular season. "If Hatch can provide that pressure up the middle, it will really present a problem for offenses. We're just looking for him to be consistent"
    The LBs feature a very athletic group with starters J. Durant, S. Lee and B. Carter and backups E. Sims and rookie Devonte Holloman. With 4 DL in front of them to occupy blockers, this group should be in position to make a lot of tackles this year.
    The secondary will also feature some new faces to go along with the familiar ones. B. Carr and M. Claiborne return at CB along with O. Scandrick. And B. Church is still the starting SS, for now. Rookie J.J. Wilcox had a great summer and is poised to make a move for the starting spot. FS M. Johnson has moved ahead of the more experienced Will Allen due to his superior athletic ability. The staff hopes that athleticism will allow him to make up for any mistakes he makes.

Special teams remain unchanged with K D. Bailey and P C. Jones back along with Dwayne Harris assuming the return duties.

It's never boring in Big D. And the new owner only hopes to continue that trend this season. Will he succeed where Jerry failed? Stay tuned...
    • Like Like x 2