Darkwa Runs Down Tulsa

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by TJM, Jul 16, 2011.

1. TJM

TJM Walk On

Orleans Darkwa, SO RB of Tulane, rushed for a wopping 238 yards on 26 carries as Tulane beats C-USA foe, Tulsa. "We knew about Tulsa's high powered offense as we see them every year in the C-USA. We wanted to control the ball and give them a taste of what trench football is all about." Said Tulane Coach TJM.

"It was all on my offensive line. They came out driving through there blocks opening up holes for me to plough through. Then getting the extra 3-4 yards on contact really wore down the defense."

After receiving the ball at kickoff, Tulane and the high-powered spread offense of Tulsa shared a defensive battle until right before the end of the 1st quarter when Tulane JR QB Paul Griffin hit D. Banks with a 14 yard bullet TD pass.

After Tulsa received the ball, the talented Tulsa QB, G Kinne, who finished the game with 280 yards and 3 TDs, through a TD INT to Green Wave DB K. Washington who has wide open spaces to put the Green Wave up 14-0 heading into the 2nd quarter. "Tulsa was running the no-huddle and that left our defense out on the field, adjusting on the fly. It was just a perfect adjustment into zone, when our DB camped out beside a curl route and ended up taking it to the house." said first year Tulane Head Coach, TJM.

However, Tulsa quickly captured 7 back from Tulane when they went on a quick 4 play drive, ending in a TD pass for 27 yards from Kinne to R Johnson. "We just broke down from the no-huddle. We did not have the proper defense on the field and we should've called a timeout. That TD is on me." said TJM.

After a few punts back and forth, Tulsa got back onto the board with a FG and then quickly took the lead 17-14 with 1:33 before the half on a 14 yard run by A Singleton.

However, Tulane quickly answered back with a 11 yard pass to J Kemp with 58 seconds left in the half.

Tulsa would go on a quick 3 and out and gave us an opportunity to at least get three on board before the half. Tulane drove down the field with the no-huddle on 1st downs. Then with 6 seconds left before half, no timeouts, and the ball on Tulsa's 8 yard line, Griffin found go-to WR Banks who caught it on the 3, and luckily beat a LB untouched into the endzone, putting Tulane up 28-17. "Those two TDs before half were huge for us. We thought we were going into halftime down by 3, but ended up getting huge momentum with those 2 TDs in the final minute." said TJM.

In the 2nd half, Tulane continued to pound the rock, but it was Tulsa who got on the board first in the 2nd half, with a 24 yard pass from Kinne to D Johnson. But Tulane responded in the 3rd with a goaline run from the 3 yard line, the player of the game, Orleans Darkwa got his only touchdown of the game.

Going into the fourth, the score was 35-24 and Tulane was feeling extremely confident behind running back Orleans Darkwa, but it was the backup who got the final Tulane touchdown, P Jason on a 2 yard run, to put Tulane up 42-24, with 4:23 left in the game.

The game was not over yet. "We were up by 18 with 4 minutes to go and got a little lax on defense. Its a learning lesson." said TJM.

Tulsa stunned the Tulane defense when RB J Douglas broke a couple tackles to take the rock for 63 yards to bring the game within 12 points.

After a failed 2-pt conversion, Tulsa went for an onside kick and pounced on the ball with 3:32 left in the game. Tulsa would go on quickly to bring the lead down to 5, on a 7 yd TD pass to C Clontz.

Down by 5, Tulsa came out and kicked it deep, but would not get another chance, when Tulane star Darkwa had a few big runs, and a clutch couple passes from Griffin, to seal the Victory Formation.

"We took what the defense gave us, and we were prepared for whatever they threw at us. It was a great football game and we executed our plan almost to perfection." Said TJM, "we made very little mistakes, an INT and missing out on a few fumble opportunities, but our line did a great job blocking and only leaving up 1 sack, while our guys got to Kinne with 3 sacks."

Todd Graham, who is now at Pitt, will be missed this season at Tulsa as they drop to 0-2 after a 20-3 loss to national title contenders, Oklahoma.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

congrats! Stock up!

3. TJM

TJM Walk On

WOOOO! Penn State better start buying my stock in the next few years.

4. TJM

TJM Walk On

I also forgot to mention my MLB got hurt in the 2nd quarter and it asked me if I wanted him to come back into play? My next sub was rated a 60 and this MLB was a 73...Trent Mackey (I believe) came back in and ended up leading the team with 10 tackles.