Dear HaW

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by nicknicknick5, Jun 22, 2015.

1. nicknicknick5

nicknicknick5 Walk On

Sorry if I made anyone mad with my game play. I am not trying to play cheesy in any way and hope I don't make anyone feel that way. In the future if you have issues with how I play let me know. I would be happy to work on them to make sure I fit in better.

• Like Like x 4
  2. RaunchyTacoBowl

RaunchyTacoBowl Walk On

As Keller has said there has been ZERO formal complaints on you. Technically if there was something abrasive with your gameplay and it bothered them they should be contacting the commish team. Your fine man we all have growing pains, gotta just round out your playcalling a bit more.

I struggled my first season a tiny bit, just ask Troy J.

PS I'll be ready for you come playoffs bruh.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nicknicknick5

nicknicknick5 Walk On

So I am trying to improve my game. The three biggest complaints I have received have been too many slants, curls, and 01 trap. I know there's not too much film on me out there. I just watched over my game against freak from a few weeks back. I threw 6 slants, 8 curls, and ran 01 trap 3 times. Is this too much? With the curls I feel it seems kind of high, but I counted every type of curl. That means check down to my rb, 10 yard curls, and 5 yard. The other thing to keep in mind is this game I ran 67 offensive plays which feels real high to me.

In the second game I didn't track these that much, but I watched over the tape and know that I threw the slant twice.

Other than that I have also heard about me moving my safety into the box. I had not heard any complaints about this until my game against Ryan. To me I would like to keep doing this since it is a fairly key element to me disguising what my user player will do. I was told it was against the rules, but could not find that written down anywhere. Could I get clarification on this from a commissioner? Keller Freakskull Mozaaik ?

I really disagree that doing this is cheesy in any way. To defend that I would say A. This is done in real football (See Troy Polamalu) B. The computer naturally does this when you have a safety blitzing, the safety steps into the box. C. I truly do not understand the argument that it messes with the AI. I don't think the offensive AI does anything different if the safety is 5 or ten yards back from the LOS.

Really not trying to start any argument on here and would love anyone's feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RaunchyTacoBowl

RaunchyTacoBowl Walk On

when you ran slants was it the literal play slants? cause many other passing plays impliment a slant.

I'm just wondering out of curiousity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nicknicknick5

nicknicknick5 Walk On

I counted any time I actually threw to a slant. Whether that be calling an audible to one, play with a slant in it, or the actual play slants.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I feel dirty if i throw a slant more than 2 maybe 3 times

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sir felgar

sir felgar Walk On

You will quickly learn if you haven't already people will complain about pretty much every type of play....if you call it a lot or at least what seems like a lot to them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RaunchyTacoBowl

RaunchyTacoBowl Walk On

For example: I don't like the play sir felgar always uses against me called "Beat Raunchy", but it technically isn't cheese so I can't have him removed from the league....even though I've tried

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

https://traditionsportsonline.com/threads/expectations-rules-and-standards.111819/

a couple of quotes.....
    • "Respect the community. Respect the league. Respect each other. Respect the game"
    • "Play SIM, you know what that means. If we wanted to play "lobby ball" we would be in lobbies searching for games, not here. If you don't know what SIM means please talk to me ASAP and I'll clarify any questions you have"
    • "Some examples: Basically - no glitchy gameplay. Diving with DL at line of scrimmage, rocket catching, taking a dive/iso handoff straight to sideline, running money plays over and over"
    I know when I tried to talk to you in chat you basically didn't care, since I am not the commissioner of the league. You might note the "staff" designation under my name. I am a league moderator here at TSO who helps when needed with new players fitting into leagues, commissioner issues, and resolving problems when a commissioner feels they need a hand. To be honest, we are a small community and I generally have little to do as our current commissioners are all pretty solid. I will again try and express to you what I found troubling with your gameplay and attitude when we spoke in chat. I'm only saying this to establish my credentials since you seem to only want to take suggestions from people with authority.

First off, there was a reason I watched your game. I had personally seen four other users express frustration with your gameplay (Ryan makes 5 after the GB game) including one who chose to leave the league rather than risk having to play you again. There was also a little drama about you moving your CB to HB. Based on this, I figured I'd take a look and point out any issues I saw.

I know you tried to clean up your offensive gameplay and it showed, so far as I could tell, your offense was fine, aside from not having a backup QB which is a roster issue, not playcalling or gameplay.

On defense there are two things that I saw, one of which I mentioned and you blatantly disregarded.
    • Moving your safety "into the box." As I said then, this isn't sim, you are playing a player out of position intentionally and creating an unfair advantage because it is outside the design of the play. This is similar to taking a dive handoff and immediately running to the sideline or calling a pass play and immediately running the ball with your QB. You yourself mentioned that there are real world safeties that do this, but you also explained how. In real life, like in the game, there are plays that are designed to have a safety in the box. If you want 8 in the box, call one of those plays. In real life, Troy Polomalu isn't the deep safety on his side but instead runs up to cover the TE on a short out route, he plays up when the coaches have designed it for him to do so. To put it in video game terms and try and explain further why this is "glitchy" and considered not sim, virtually all madden running plays work on an assignment basis, when you run your deep safety up around the LBs you will often be unblocked as you shoot gaps not because you are just that good, but because the AI isnt programmed to deal with it the way real players would.
    • You need to run man coverage occasionally. If you ran man coverage against the packers it only happened once or twice all game. You can run cover 3 as your "base" but you have to mix in other playcalls.
    The other issue I have seen is your attitude towards other players. When someone complains that you run too much cover 3 for example, you counter with something along the lines that they should be able to beat it then. This completely misses the point and ignores the first bullet I quoted above. Its not about beating you or getting beat by you, its about having fun. When you run the same play over and over it isn't fun for the other player, even if they beat you it feels like a chore rather than a well played chessmatch. Additionally, when people have referenced other issues about your gameplay you have fired back at them with insults about their skill level or made mention of them always complaining or whining because they are getting beat. One of the core concepts of sim play is that it isn't all about winning. Everyone wants to win but a "win at all costs" approach isn't sim. An example of this is when you tried to run the clock out in the third quarter against the Packers. Observing you I feel like you are trying to figure out how you can just follow the rules enough while still playing with a win at all costs mentality which is where you are falling short.

In my opinion, if you can change your approach to playing in these online leagues and evaluate your reasons for wanting to do so, you can still fit in and have fun. If you only play these games to win, then go play MUT. If you can come around to where you want to be a part of a long running league with loyal members who have fun playing each other and contributing to the league experience then this is the place for you, you'll just have to shed that lobby/MUT mentality that you have. Thats not to say your a bad guy, or doing anything wrong, if this is your first sim league then you are almost certain to have bad habits from playing in the lobby or on MUT. I played about ten lobby/MUT games this release, the first I've done in about 4 years and it was terrible. It wasn't fun, even when I won. If you want to have a place here, we have to move you away from that and get you more interested in the community here at TSO.

• Like Like x 3
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Regardless of league/opponent, play to beat your opponent, not the game. Use as many plays, formations, run schemes, route types, and defensive schemes as you can. If you've mixed up your play calling based on down, distance, opposing personnel, and game situation then play frequency should be trivial. However, if you truly are concerned about making a conscious effort at changing things up, my rule of thumb on offense is this... call a play once, great... call a play twice, ok... call a play three times, too many. Obviously that doesn't necessarily pertain to defense, but I always mix up man and zone to keep my opponents honest and guessing. If you want to load the box on defense it should be a play by design, not a user manipulation. Otherwise you're just playing to beat the game. If you want to disguise your defense, find other ways to do it by calling different coverages and schemes. Just because you see something done in the NFL does not mean it translates over to Madden in a sim league. Keep in mind that we're playing a video game, so often times we are limited to what we can do in a sim league to prevent any manipulated disadvantage. Yes, we are playing to win, but we are not playing to win at all costs. Use some self restraint and challenge yourself and your opponent by using the plays in your playbook by design; allowing for minor shifts or manipulations when appropriate. If you need to ask when it is called for, then you probably shouldn't do it. Just my take as a commissioner for 10+ years and an outsider looking in. I hope this helps and good luck!

• Like Like x 6
  11. greatnessdc

greatnessdc Walk On

Thank you for an outsiders input. Also good to know how people who are way more experienced then some of us in terms of sim football view things.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Freakskull

Freakskull Lobsters are mermaids to scorpions.

I run my playcalling like GWENT from Witcher 3.

To be more descriptive, I have all of my plays written on index cards. Once I play them, I set them aside, not to be used again. Its tough to run unique pass plays each time, but I try. I only try to use a couple plays twice a game.

Run plays, I try to run unique plays every time, but I specifically stay aware of the counters, shotgun runs, and power Os. Out of principle, I try to never use 0/1 Trap, although I understand its use once or twice a game.

Defensive plays I run more than twice a game, but that is different. I try to mix up cover 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, etc.

I try to run all of the pass concepts in each games, even though some are difficult to pull off. My acceptable level of cheese is similar to this concept.

• Like Like x 2
  13. RaunchyTacoBowl

RaunchyTacoBowl Walk On

I used to spend about 30-45 mins a day playing everyplay out of a particular package ex: Singleback bunch base in practice and after a week or two I have played every play out of my playbook multiple times and you realize your playbook is alot more diverse then 10 or so main offensive plays. After that my playcalling is alot more "SIM" and keeps my opponents on their heels.

• Like Like x 2