Debate Topic #2

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by Diddy81, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

BEST ALL-TIME RUNNING BACKS
    [​IMG]

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

1. Emmitt Smith​
    2. Barry Sanders​
    3. Walter Payton​
    4. Jim Brown​
    5. LaDanian Tomlinson​
    6. Marshall Faulk​
    7. Eric Dickerson​
    8. Tony Dorsett​
    9. Marcus Allen​
    10. Curtis Martin​

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AND​
    [​IMG]
    Have two rushers in the top 15 all-time Curtis Martin/Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders/Thurman Thomas and Emmitt Smith/Fred Taylor​

4. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

1. Barry SAnders
    2. Emmitt Smith
    3. Walter Payton
    4. Jim Brown
    5. Tony Dorsett
    6. OJ Simpson
    7. Gale Sayers
    8. Eric Dickerson
    9. LT
    10. Marshall Faulk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Ron Dayne, Tiki Barber, Rodney Hampton, Ottis Anderson, Joe Morris.

Next topic please. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

For real tho...

1. Barry Sanders
    2. Walter Payton
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Jim Brown
    5. LaDanian Tomlinson
    6. Eric Dickerson
    7. Marshall Faulk
    8. OJ Simpson
    9. Bo Jackson
    10. Earl Campbell

I think the Top 4 especially are just fucking GOAT's. Barry Sanders was just the best pure runner in NFL history...no question in my mind. Walter Payton combined speed and strength to get fancy feet and high step. Emmitt turned a bad offensive line in to a Pro Bowl offensive line and Jim Brown...dude had like 130 TDs in his first 100 games. That's G.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Earl Campbell had 34 inch thighs back in the day. Or, so I heard.

8. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I thought we were friends . . .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Just off pure running back ability the ability to play the position this is what I think

1. Bo Jackson
    2. Barry Sanders
    3. Walter Payton
    4. LT
    5. Eric Dickerson
    6. Jim Brown
    7. Emmitt Smith
    8. Tony Dorsett
    9. Marcus Allen
    10. Marshall Faulk

• Like Like x 2
  10. smace767

smace767 Walk On

I like Cimmy's top half of his list and his explanation, and i like sdid22 list in general.

The way i look at running backs is first list best runner / if you gave the guy the ball in a kill the carrier type situation who would come out on top in any ERA. Meaning walter would not be as affective vs today's athletes on defense. By the same token, put Marshawn Lynch back in the 80's and he probably has runs like he had vs the Saints every other week.
    So the runner cant have taken advantage of the era. Walter was stronger than most LBs, dbs and the dline was not even close to being as athletic as today's dline. Gayle sayers and oj was some much faster than everyone back then and Jim Brown was just bigger and faster than everyone else on the field. In todays ERa they would be Jamal Charles, or Harvin or Brandon Jacobs. and might not get those hall of fame numbers.

So my best runners
    1) Bo Jackson
    2) Barry Sanders
    3) Eric Dickerson
    4) emmit smith
    5) Marcus Allen
    6) Marshal Faulk
    7) LT
    8) Gayle Sayers
    9)Walter Payton
    10) Oj simpson

But if i was a coach and i needed a running back my list would change. A running back needs to be durable, block, catch passes, get tough yards. my list is

1) emmit Smith
    2) Bo Jackson
    3) Marcus Allen
    4) eric Dickerson
    5) walter Payton
    6) LT
    7) marshal Faulk
    8) Barry Sanders
    9) oj Simpson
    10) Thurman Thomas

Most of those guys made their teams better accept Barry. meaning deep playoff runs and superbowls. But barry was so damn good. He did get a lot of yards on draws and in games that didnt mean anything so i do hold that against him or he would be higher on both lists. He also lost lots of yards and was so, so in short yardage. I know Bo fails the durable test but those who saw him in college and the pros know Bo was most likely the greatest rb of all time when health.

coulda, woulda shoulda been on the list are guys like Billy Sims and Ricky Williams. guys that had the tools just injuries and weed kept them off the list.

As a Cowboy fan i loved Tony Dorsett. But he didnt run through contact that well and he tried to out run everyone. In the 70's and 80's it worked. I dont think he would start for any team in todays NFL.

As always this is coach smace767's opinion.

PS= Now that i added some reading material, can i get in the league. Its not looking good from my perspective but can a brother get in.

• Like Like x 3
  11. pitt4life21

pitt4life21 RTJR!

1. Arian Foster 2. Ben Tate... :)

12. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Same as a guy like Lou Gherig who could of been alone as the best ever if not for his diease. There is no question imo the best back to ever play the game is this guy. He was so good he started over a Hall of Fame running back who was coming off a bro bowl season of his own in his prime.

Dont believe me just listen to experts and other hall of famers

• Like Like x 4
  13. soxandgators

Now that i look back into the thread after posting i see some Bo love.. You fellas know your shit

14. Blackattack87

Blackattack87 First In Last Out

Jesus, you guys I guess are too young to give Jim Brown the respect he deserves. One dude didnt even have him in the top ten. WTF lol.

• Like Like x 3
  15. soxandgators

I didnt do a top ten i would of had him 2nd and barry sanders 3rd

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blackattack87

quote="soxandgators, post: 1024454, member: 571"]I didnt do a top ten i would of had him 2nd and barry sanders 3rd[/quote]

Plus Sanders played on a shitty run and shoot team with no fullback most of his career. Impressive

17. smace767

smace767 Walk On

AT 45 years old i know who Jim Brown is. My list was taking into consideration all ERAs.

my post quote:
    So the runner cant have taken advantage of the era. Walter was stronger than most LBs, dbs and the dline was not even close to being as athletic as today's dline. Gayle sayers and oj was some much faster than everyone back then and Jim Brown was just bigger and faster than everyone else on the field. In todays ERa they would be Jamal Charles, or Harvin or Brandon Jacobs. and might not get those hall of fame numbers.

Jim was use to being bigger and faster than everyone else. I know guys have played football with their younger relatives / friends and been the biggest guy on the field. Not Jim's fault but Ernie Davis was probably better than him, more elusive and faster.

If i put ray rice, Marshawn lynch, Jones Drew on the 1965 Browns they all would have atleast as good numbers as Jim Brown. Hell if we put Bo on the 1965 Browns he might have avged 12 yds a carry.
    In my opinion Jim Brown in Todays game = Brandon Jacobs
    Gayle Sayers in todays game= Jamal Charles maybe Chris Johnson on a good day( dont think he was as strong as Chris Johnson is)
    Bo jackson in todays game = Bo Jackson
    Barry sanders in todays game = 95% of Barry sanders
    eric and emmit= eric and emmit in todays game

18. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Agree 100%. By the way, great topic, Diddy!

1. Jim Brown (honestly, it really isn't close)
    2. Barry Sanders
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Walter Payton
    5. Gale Sayers
    6. Marshall Faulk
    7. Ladainian Tomlinson
    8. Eric Dickerson
    9. OJ
    10. Thurman Thomas

Here is a good analysis on this topic that know more about this than we do! http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=yasinskas_pat&id=3422309

• Like Like x 1
  19. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Here is a quote from that link that highlights what im talking about and why i ding him for this era.
    remember jim was 6' 1" 232 Lbs and ran maybe a 4.5

"The only reason I'm not putting him No. 1 is because of his size," former Minnesota Vikings running back Robert Smith said. Smith rated Brown No. 2 behind Sanders. "He was running against defensive linemen who were the same size as him. That would be like a running back today running against 11 defensive backs. But that's not Jim Brown's fault."

20. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Yep....and if he had today's technology helping him train, he would be 255 and running a 4.2. He dominated an era like no other.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

#2, not completely omit from the top 10 tho...

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blackattack87

I agree i think he dominates in any era. Let smace in HK, if he's not in already! I wont be the oldest then:)

• Like Like x 1
  23. smace767

smace767 Walk On

True with out a doubt.
    But a Terrel davis could happen in today's era. Back then he was never gonna get hit hard enough by them guys to have a knee blown out. Ronnie Lott, Ed REED, Shawn Taylor, Darren Woodson, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Reggie, White would never let Jim do what he did to them.

Trust i dont have hate for Jim
    I just think all time and if i had training camp this summer with all them guys in their prime.

I think Bo ends up #1 HB
    Eric Dickerson #2 HB
    Barry Sanders the third down back / kick returner
    And emmit is 4th string do to his versatility.

And if we go any era we have to give guys of today a right to be on the 1962 Browns.
    Who in 62 is stopping Ray Rice, Jones-Drew, Brandon Jacobs, Hell Cam Newton is bigger and faster then Jim Brown. What would he have done in 1962?

I think the ALL time label is what guys are not getting what im saying. When I say all time then i have to group them all together against equal competition and playing field.

An example As a Cowboy fan i love Randy White. He is in the Hall of fame. As he was Randy white wouldnt make almost any D1 football team. He was 260 lbs DT and he was a beast, nickname the manster. Killing opposing olines. Today at 260 lbs DT and not very muscular he would have a hard time starting for the top ten High school teams. Thats an era thing.

24. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Fair enough. We will agree to disagree.

As far as Bo Jackson, I just can't put a guy on the list that only rushed for 2,759 yards over 4 seasons. No matter the circumstance, his talent didn't really translate into eye-popping results.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I almost put thurman in there at 10 also, me and ry think alike a lot! But Marcus Allen's TD numbers were gross had to get him in there

• Like Like x 2