Defending Flats/Outside runs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Defending Flats/Outside runs

Hey guys, I would like some good tips on defending the flats and against outside runs. Things like pitches, sweeps, tosses, and the like. What kind of coverages do you suggest on defense to run/formations to set up in to defend that kind of thing?

Probably my only weak point on defense is those damn flats areas. So I was hoping for some advice from better players. :)

2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Well....if you ever face the Rams...only play 2 defenses...

1. Quarter Deep...spread your 3 down linemen so I can run up the middle, and drop your defenders deep so I can get more yards...

2. FG Block...all out block...Ill burn you with my WRs

3. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Is this advice...lol. I would give you advice Nuvas but I am sucking it up these days

4. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

I defend those plays as I would any other less than 3 WR formation.

I run my 3-4 basic plays and if it gets out of hand i use an OLB blitz or bring a safety. The only issue with bringing extra heat is sometimes they angle to the QB and not the outside edges. For the most part I user control the OLB anyway and if I can determine what side it I just over purse the edge and take a blocker with me so my team can clean up. Against an elite running team, speed runner, and good blocking it is hard and you will have issues though.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Linebacker coverage ability. That's all it is. If their good then flat passes will go for 3 yards or less. Play calling: I would call a Cover 2 Zone.

6. joseph201105

joseph201105 OMFL- Oakland Raiders

Yea but a cover 2 has the corners staying in the flatt

7. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

cover 2 works..also 3-4 play books have some good zones for them

8. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

When I play someone who is constantly attacking the outside with the run I like to use plays where my DE's are in outside contain. Then I user my MLB and try to flow with the play. As far as passing in the flats cover 2 zone is usually good. Man coverage can work in protecting the flats too but if they have a speedy RB (i.e. Chris johnson) that they hit in the flats make sure they are covered with either a CB or safety.

9. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

I see it alot when im the titans, if you think im going to run the outside... DONT BLITZ UP THE MIDDLE. simple yet you will be amazed how many ppl forget about the nickle package and just blitz all the LBs.