Defending the Option

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by nellycuz, Jul 11, 2013.

1. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

Would any of you who are rather successful defending the option care to expand on some plays/tips/etc that you use to counter the option? I got murdered by the option in a lobby game and really had no answer for it. I tried qb spy, contain 4-3, quarter, dollar, nickel defense..zone blitz, man blitz, cover 2, 3 etc and nothing seemed to give me a good result. I got smoked. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!:)

2. fantasyboi

fantasyboi If Tebow isn't Jesus, I'm the Pope

triple? or read?

3. nellycuz

This was the READ option however, I'll take any defenses for triple as well.....

4. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

The biggest thing is that, especially this year, you're going to have to user a LB/S yourself. Set your defensive strategy to take away the QB or RB and then you have to user and get the other one.

If you're raw on defense, I suggest setting the defense to take the QB and try and user against the RB like a standard run play. If you're more confident in your open-field tackling, flip that and do what's called a scrape exchange.

[​IMG]

There's obviously a lot more that goes into defending the option (especially when the offense adds additional wrinkles) but this is a good start for a beginner. Check out this article as well.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 3
  5. fantasyboi

fantasyboi If Tebow isn't Jesus, I'm the Pope

depends what defense u run also. i feel the 3-4 is best vs. the option attack. 4-3 just is set to get picked apart. having run stopping DL is huge and just unravelling blitzing schemes HAS to happen

6. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

I'd say set your defense adjustments to aggressive to go after the QB. This, in theory, should have the DE that the QB is reading to sit. It seems most of the big plays on the read is when the defense swarms the HB when the QB keeps. Fire zones to the side the HB is another option. Cover 3 will bring a safety down, giving you support on the edges.

7. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

I like to change it up, otherwise the HB can eat you up alive. Try to confuse my opponent by moving it from conserv to aggr often, while utilizing Baron 's tactic of manually scraping whatever player the CPU doesn't account for.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

To me, it's all about who is the bigger threat. If I'm playing Oregon, that's DAT. If it's tOSU, it would be Miller. Whoever has the big play potential, that's who I want to take away.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nellycuz

Thanks fellas...any difference on like zone blitzes or man blizes? or zone plays? m2m? Is one kind of defense better than the other when defending this?

10. Baron

Not really, because the reads are pretty much hard coded. There's no way, to my knowledge, to screw up the read to where say your 4-3 DE drops into zone and the OL gets confused and your LB blitzes through. We're not quite at the point where you can pull a Nick Saban and twist, stunt and confuse an OL (that's not cheese anyway) to screw up the RO game.

The key thing is that no matter what your defense is, you have to know the responsibilities of the player that you are usering. Because say if you're in cover 2 zone, and your LB flashes down the line to take a RB because your DE sat on the QB, there's going to be a big hole in the middle of your defense if it's PA.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baron

Also, nellycuz labbing never hurts. Feel free to add me on 360 and we can go over it. I'm not the best spread option guy on the site, but I have run it for awhile now.

12. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Ya i have issues defending the options when ip lay against CPU. I am only using SJSU so it could be because my team sucks. I've improved over the last few games defending it. I use a 43 defense, so never used a 3-4 so i dont know how effective 3-4 that much.

For me though, if i see the option, i run to the outside first with the player i am usering and try go after the QB and then have the rest of the DL defend the other side if HB takes it. Its not really a great strategy because if i miss the qb, he is gone. Also, it leaves the middle wide open as well and you can get dooped onthe pass. At least over the past few games, i've held my opponents to a litle over 100 yards or less than 100 yards rushing instead of the 200 i was giving up earlier.

I also been having great success running the option against CPU that were in 4-3, but had issue in my last game running the option against fresno state a 3-4 defense. They also blitzed the SS a lot so if i got passed one, the safety would get to my QB. Then i had to switch up to passing for the game. Perhaps 3-4 works better?

13. Dukefanblue2005

Dukefanblue2005 Walk On

Couldnt stop it in 3-4 so switched to nickel man blitzes (plays that brought multiple blitzers) and turned option adj to agressive stopped it pretty good when I played vs the CPU on modified Heisman settings.

14. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

I've always had to use nickle to slow it down, base formations seen to bunch in pre snap, that extra corner on the strong side makes a big difference

15. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I like the 4-2-5 for similar reasons. Getting that extra strong safety in there usually helps with tackling against stronger running back who WILL run the hell over smaller corners this year!

16. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Has anybody ran into a situation where setting your defense to aggressive still doesn't stop the QB keeper on the option. I played this guy and he never handed off to the running back, but it seemed my defense was completely oblivious to the fact he had to ball. This was running the 4-2-5 defense.

17. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

Ive been successful stuffing the the read this version by setting option to aggressive then sending a blitz at the HB.

18. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Note to self:

When playing Maryland, use lots of play action and quick passes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

ay, im not gonna do it every down lol

20. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Had that issue playing some lobby dude using texas AM vs my san jose state team.

I adjusted to aggressive since he was primarily using his qb to run around the field and get big chunks. Still, my DEs conitinue to go to the RB. So i had to blitz corners in a nickel and while DL still goes to the RB, i had to user my LB and a blitzing corner to back up. Luckily, he didn't have much else and was able to beat him, but frustrating that i adjusted and yet it doesnt work.

If i played anybody that knew what they were doing, they would take advantage up the gut since the OL gets a massive push all the time.

21. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

It shouldn't have to come to that. A tuner update needs to be done to tone down the read option. It is just way too easy run. I also think they up the effects of fatigue. Doesn't really punish people who run the no huddle all game

22. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

agreed on the no huddle no fatigue, CPU and users can run the no huddle all game with really limited effect. Sliders would need to be adjusted quite a bit.

Still, the read options for me has been tough to defend since i really have to guess either rb or qb. If i guess wrong, its a huge gain which logically makes sense, but i really have to sell out on defense to stop it. Selling out against a good user is easy points for them usually.

23. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

The read option is supposed to be difficult. The problem is that even if you make the right call, the defense still do not react accordingly. You shouldn't have to sell out in defense to stop it.