Defense prevails for GT

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Defense prevails for GT

Deep down inside, there's a little Bill Belichick in all of us. This proved to be the case in the Georgia Tech/ Tennessee matchup. 4th downs and some shocking defense proved to be the deciding factor in this game.

Going into the 4th quarter, the Yellow Jackets and Vols were in a dead lock tie at 38. Up to that point, both teams showed out their offensive prowless, swinging the ball around at will and finding the holes in each others defense, despite what many humans can't see. Simply put, these offenses are pretty potent. For the Vols, you had RB David Oku who was a workhorse, getting 28 carries and 127 yards with a score. He was excellent in space, carving up the GT LB's as he simply was too shifty for them. SO-WR Alex Carlson and QB Fred Alexander had great chemistry as almost anytime he needed a 3rd down, he went to his 6'5" WR whose height cannot be matched by any GT defender. JR-WR Sean George was too fast for any of the GT CB's as he blew by his man, Ross Merrick, most of the game (4 catches, 128 yards and a score).

For Georgia Tech, you cannot say enough about QB Jordan Luallen. He simply had pinpoint accuracy for the most of the afternoon, mainly threading the needle on most of his throws. Said Coach Bruce after the game, "I haven't seen a QB like that one...he makes nice throws when he's getting drilled and breaks out of sacks." WR Joe West was outstanding as he continues to dispell the rumors of his mediocre hands as he grabbed 6 balls for 152 yards and 2TD's. Orwin Smith contributed with a TD on the ground and via the passing game.

All of that offense led to a deadlock tie at 38. GT had the ball to start the quarter. Up by midfield, Luallen took the snap, dropped back and had all types of time to throw...his #1WR Joe West, suddenly got open but Luallen threw a balloon pass to his #2 WR, who was covered by the whole Tennessee defense and turned the ball over as he was intercepted at the 7:20 mark. Tennessee then went to pound the rock with Oku.
    - Alexander to Williams for 6 yards
    - Oku 10 yard run
    - Oku 4 yard run
    - Alexander 8 yard scramble
    - Oku 5 yard run
    - Smith 6 yard run
    - Oku 4 yard run
    - Oku 4 yard run
    - Keyes 1 yard run

4th down and 1 at the 6 with 3:47 left in the 4th, Coach Bruce decided to go for it, summoning his inner Bill Belichick. Afterall, his team was wearing down the GT defense so far this drive but with the points right there at their grasps, they went for it. GT had gotten their BB on early in the 2nd quarter down 24-14 and on a 4th down Smith got the tough yardage for a 1st down which led to a TD. Coach Bruce also went for it on 4th down in the 3rd quarter, but unlike GT, Oku and this offense was stopped short on 4th down and 2 and within their kickers FG range. But things had to be different right??? Alexander handed the ball off to Oku and...STOPPED! MLB Brandon Watts shot the gap and dragged down Oku before the 1st down sticks!

But there was still work to do for the Yellow Jackets. With 3:43 left in the game, they needed to drive 94 yards for a TD, or at least get to the Vols 35 yard line for a shot at a FG. The Vols defense buckled down, forcing Luallen to run for no gain on 1st down, forcing an incompletion on 2nd down to Moore. Luallen though on 3rd down and 10, hit Moore down the right sideline and almost got the 1st down but was dragged down INCHES before the 1st. 4th an inches, the Yellow Jackets punted away and Oku came up huge, returning it for 20 yards.

The Vols had the ball at the Yellow Jackets 37 yard line and on 1st down, threw a toss to Oku (which has been a huge success for them in this game) but was stuffed for a 2 yard loss. 2nd down, Alexander was sacked for a 6 yard loss! 3rd and 18, Alexander dropped back but saw GT DE Emmanuel Dieke coming on hard and Fred launched a deep bomb to George towards the corner of the endzone. George Dunn who dropped back to protect that part of the field ran back with George and picked off the pass at their own 4 yard line!

With 1:57 left, GT needed to drive down the field to win this game. 1st down Luallen rushed up the gut for 8 yards. On 2nd down, Luallen threw an incompletion. 3rd down and two, Smith came out of the backfield and lined up in the slot. Luallen though handed the ball off to bruising FB Demar Drummond for a 5 yard scamper on 1st down. The next play, Luallen was blitzed hard and threw a lame duck for an incompletion. 2nd down and 10, Luallen dropped back and saw his WR Joe West had a beat on the CB. With the FS playing the intermediate middle, Luallen launched a pass to West which was perfectly placed in his hands and all of a sudden GT had the ball at the Vols 39 yard line! GT would run, run, run with Smith and Garrett lining up for the go ahead FG, forcing the Vols to use their remaining timeouts. The Groza winner nailed a 47 yard FG that safely made it in the right corner of the right upright as GT took the lead with 12 seconds left in the game. A last pass by Alexander was picked off by Marcus Banks to end this thrilling game, 41-38, GT. GT now will have quite a while to wait before playing in the ACC title game.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nice win man. A couple of us were watching and keeping track of that score, and when it deadlocked at 38 for the entire 4th quarter we were pretty surprised I think.

Good job by both teams putting forth a great effort.

3. jfosh

jfosh Super

No surprise that this one was a great game. Wish I had a ticket to watch. Lots of points wide open for 3 quarters it sounds like. Carlson tore me up as we all know.

No late season let down for the yellow jackets this year. Tennessee will have to go the same route as last year and win the SEC title game. There is more traffic for them to jump this year though. Georgia is ranked ahead of them (somewhere helli is smiling.)

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Great write up mo. Really sounds like a sweaty palm, heart pounding, curse filled, thriller of a game. Congrats to both teams.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Georgia is always trying to sneak in with 2 losses lol.

My cousin was watching me play. He was just as amped as I was in those big time 4th down stops I had

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

(y)

Your cousin should get in a tradition league then.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    he's more of a madden guy honestly...plus he lives with me.

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Great game Mo, your QB is just simply unreal. We had a couple more shots at picks and dropped em and our usual sack pressure from our front four got there but he slipped out of at least 4-5 sacks.

Stupid decisions to go on 4th n 1 shoulda taken the FG both times late...still kicking my own azz for those calls. That said it pretty unusual when we cant get a yard and thats a credit to the Yellow Jackets.

This game was the best one I have played this year win or lose.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I agree from the sound of it, it has to go down as one of the best games in this version of the game...