Defense???

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Hokie Effect, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Now I have fussed about this last season, but now I am just asking for help. Last season I had the second to last worst defense and it has been much of the same this season. Now I don't think it has to do with stick skill as I would like to think I can hold my own. But it seems that I have to outscore my opponents and not commit any turnovers as I can't stop anyone. I know it doesn't help my case of losing when I turn the ball over 4-5 times, but I still shouldn't be give up 500+yds of offense.

I pick a different play out of different formations (running 3-4) constantly mixing up my play calling. That seems to not be working. So you guys that are statistically doing well defensively what are you doing that I am not?!?!?

2. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

I'll just say this - Zach Kline is going to set the NCAA record for most interceptions in a career at this rate :)

As far as defense goes, I know the first half of last year, I literally could not stop a soul. I mean, I gave up 70 points and 21342342343 yards to hskr8128 in a game last year. But after that, I've kept with my 3-4 D and I think my guys are finally playing respectively. Not outstanding, but we've certainly improved a lot. I think the key thing is to just match your personnel to what the opponent is lining up with. I never use my 3-4 if I see 4 or more WRs - I'm gonna use the 2-4-5, 3-3-5, or 2-3-6 when I see that.

3. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

best defense I have found is to let the offense screw up somehow lol

4. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Yea, IDK about defense either. I have games just like you where I have to outscore my opponents and any turnover by me could mean a L just because I can't stop them. But then I have games like a couple weeks ago against South Carolina where I hold them to 10 points and multiple 3 and outs. I truly don't understand how to play defense this year.

5. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    This is going to sound counterintuitive, but I only get pressure when I rush 3 guys. I've been going 3-3-5 and 2-3-6 almost exclusively in passing situations and mixing up 3 and 4 man fronts. I got 3 or 4 sacks on Clemson last night just rushing 3. Couldn't get any pressure when blitzing and had mediocre pressure rushing 4. Plus, the extra guy in coverage can work wonders when DBs are so stupid (example: DB on the highlight for the Clemson TD on me).