Defensive keys and gameplans

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Defensive keys and gameplans

How does everyone feel about these?

My take is that it adds just another level of unrealistic play. Everytime you use an aggressive gameplan, your players do crazy things, slicing through offensive players with no disregard. The horrible thing is, you can't counter it on offense. The only options you have are to tell your O-line to hold blocks longer (more holding penalties) or to just bump them (no chance of holding calls).

Defensive keys are even worse. I recently played a game where a guy used them a lot. On short downs, I would call a run off the RG. He would 'guess' run to the left (off of the LT). Even though he guessed completely wrong, his RE sliced through that B gap and right passed my FB to deck my HB in the facemask about two yards behind the LOS.

I'm really starting to think that anything other than balanced gameplans is cheap. Let's not even get started on the strip aggressiveness. And just look at the way the defense moves when you use keys, it's horrible. If players could actually move like that relative to their offensive counterparts, the whole team would get drug tested on their way back to the locker room...

2. DigginGraves

DigginGraves Walk On

I think you nailed it there Drifter... It definitely gives the game a much more unrealistic feel. The pressure on the QB is a little intesnse sometimes too when the "Guess Run" feature is utilized. The problem is, this is not something that is easy to police and watch... have to work on the honor system with it.

Personally, after about 15 facemask penalties in two games I dont even use the feature anymore....

I find it works much better for conservative choices when your up and time is running out.

3. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Couldent agree more Drifter. Another major problem that goes along with this is there is no check to balance this out. EA cut down on the effectiveness of the deep ball this year, so its much tuffer to make guys pay for being so agressive. Is there a way for the commish to turn gameplanning off?

4. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

the only gameplanning features i use is big hits, zone, picks(which as you can see from my season total it doesn't really work(y)). I have used the strip feature when i am down by 2 scores in the 2nd half, but i get called for face mask way more than getting any fumbles so i don't use it except without no other choice.

I have never used guess run yet and don't care if we take it as all i have heard is bad things....

gameplan leave it on
    guess run/pass-ban and self police..( iam guessing a a scroll passes saying they guessed?)

5. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I completely agree, I think the features should be eliminated, and that balanced is the only thing that can be used.

I haven't even tried the guess run feature, not sure what that is, so yeah eliminate that as well.

To me the jump snap and strip just makes the game unrealistic. That is my two cents, and I say all things on balanced, and we simply trust that this will happen.

6. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

jump snap hasn't really done anything for me the few times i have tried it...

7. OMlawdog

It works more in the USER games than it does against the CPU from what I can tell.

8. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

i dont use any of the features defensively.... on offense, i use the conservative run and catch features.... on defense i dont even look at the gameplan....

9. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

The entire feature set is lame imo outside of the pass guess because it works much like it has in the past.

The strip stuff and guess run are lame as is the jump snap. Its just another in a long line of EA gimmicks that add another layer of cheap gameplay to the game.

Sorry I know I am not in here anymore but I still follow the league. (y)

10. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

I used on OM to get a score when I needed it, but I left it on when I recovered my onside kick & it costme 10 yds on a holding penalty after which I just keep it to balance now.

EA should have never included it. I'm with banning it altogether.

11. OMlawdog

So are we turning these off?

In the 3 quarters we played last night, we had them off and the game felt a little more clean. You still have players going for strips, just not every play.

I think everyone in the league can be trusted to have them off. So is that what we are doing?

12. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Im all for turning them off, hard to police but we should not have a problem.

13. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

turn em off...

14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, we are eleminating these from play.

I'll add that to our rules/description thread today.

15. Flo308

Flo308 "Ocean Front Property"

Ok, so all the gameplan stuff needs to be on normal (green). I'm good with that decision.

16. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

just to be clear, everything is suppose to be normal, and no picking like run right, or pass play when on defense?

17. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Correct.