Defensive Keys

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Sep 7, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Defensive Keys

I think we should ban these completely. The only thing I think we should be able to use is the KEY WR feature. Everything else is really close to border line cheesey.

In the BCS game, Hokie and I used it sparingly at times and with good taste I think. It didn't really effect the outcome of the game but it doesn't operate correctly in my opinion and for season 2 and beyond I think we should ban them. Here's why:

In real life, there is no such thing as keying on a jam a run up the middle where all 11 players disregard their responsibilities and blitz the center of the field. Real life defense simply isn't played like that. If you want to run a play like that, that's what the show blitz and engage 8 is for.

The defensive keys just don't work correctly. Even if you key the middle run, you can still be successful in stopping the outside run. It's ridiculous.

For this to be a sim league, we should rely on our defensive playcalling, our stick skills, and you can even utilize the hot route audibles if you are willing to bet on a certain play coming. The defensive keys are crap and shouldn't be used.

There, I've stood on my soap box and spoke my peace. Hopefully you guys agree with me. Let's keep this fun and real instead of cheesy EA BS!

As a side note, I think the key a WR feature works ok. If a team throws to the same guy all game it should be allowed for you to have your defense aware of this and be aware of the guy at all times. i.e. UGA and A.J. Green, Bama and Julio Jones, etc. This especially helps because if the guy lines up in the slot the defensive play call to double him is impossible to plan for because you'll call double x or z and can't flip it to the slot guy.

Let me know what you guys think. This is a gameplay rule so let's hear from all 12 users.

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I agree 100% The aggressive play is cheesy to. Sometimes they fumbled every play and never get facemask penatlys. Its just retarded

And ill take the risk of getting a penalty all day if i can get a turnover eventually.

I say ban it all except the WR keys

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I agree 100% The aggressive play is cheesy to. Sometimes they fumbled every play and never get facemask penatlys. Its just retarded

And ill take the risk of getting a penalty all day if i can get a turnover eventually.

I say ban it all except the WR keys

4. GoGators

I'm speaking more directly to the defensive keys you pick pre snap.

Not so much the game plan features.

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I agree to banning them as well. But I really think the wr focus commands are good and should be used. I can do without the gameplanning options but whatever. I don't care about those so much.

6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I also agree that defensive keys are really cheesy and therefore I never use them anyway. I'd love for them to be banned. I don't, however, think that the gameplanning features should be banned as almost all of them are counterable. Because of that, they add a very needed strategic element to the game.

Aggressive stripping is the one that gets everyone's panties in a bunch but I can say that I've played against a lot of people who used aggressive stripping and I have never ever once been stripped when having my running on conservative. I've fumbled due to a big hit, but that has nothing to do with stripping. I actually prefer to have my opponent use aggressive stripping against me as I know that I will never fumble and that they will get facemask penalties.

7. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

I agree with banning the defensive keys. Kinda like the game planning though. The only one I would like to ban is the jump snap key for the defensive line. I am not sure what it does when it works, but it works every single snap. Which is ridiculous. I don't use the strip key but I do like the deep and shallow zones on defense.

8. lilmaggie

Rules

Any other topics that we need to bring up before next season. Sliders, playbooks, pace of league, anything? Let's air it out here before we get started. I agree that our sliders are too easy. And I think I know why. It is basically that out pass rush is to effective. I believe if we turn that back down, then robo QB will light us up. I am not sure there is a happy medium with that. What ever you guys think.

9. jello1717

As is the case with most slider sets I've seen it seems like the CPU can't run effectively enough and we can run too effectively. As for getting the CPU to run better I've found that 55 CPU run blocking helps a lot. They've also changed it in the patch so that it doesn't make the CPU kick returns unstoppable.

10. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I've been onboard all season long about banning the defensive keys. There's no real downside to it. I really like our OFFL teambuilder sliders. They're quite different than ours. Running ability is at like 90 or 100 and the CPU running backs are not overly hard to stop. That set makes games challenging without making the CPU unstoppable. It really shouldn't be that easy for me to rush for 252 yds. vs. Wisconsin(with one guy) in the Outback Bowl like I did. Many of the CPU vs. Human games should have been closer. I would petition a complete overhaul.

11. GoGators

The sliders are set that high because the difficulty level is on varsity. I like the OFFL ones as well, but I have mixed feelings because I think the CPU just plays too stupid at times and doesn't try hard enough to win on the Varsity setting. I'm undefeated with ASU in the OFFL, even kicked USC's ass and that probably shouldn't have happened.

Ok, so let's ban the defensive pre snap keys. So no play the pass, run right/middle/left.

Let's allow the WR keying to continue and the gameplan settings should continue to be allowed too since we agree they are counterable.

Next, sliders. I haven't had much time to play around but has anyone tried the game on Heisman yet?

12. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

im fine with banning everything but i also think in addition to the wide reciever one i think we should be able to keep the protect the ball one.

13. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

You can still do conservative game-planning, such as protecting the ball. You just can't use aggressive ones.

14. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

15. GoGators

I'm not sure where we got off course here, so I'll attempt to clarify what I believe we want again.

The presnap defensive keys are banned.

The game planning that you can change from aggressive to conservative is allowed. This is because these are all counterable. Plus, if you're losing late in the 4th quarter, you're going to want to use the aggressive gameplan to try to cause a turnover.

16. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

by those same standards u mentioned tho the run/pass commit makes sense then. if its 4th and 1 on the goal, ur gonna run commit. if its 3rd and 26 ur gonna pass commit. those are logical ideas to use and they can both be countered. pass on 4th and 1, run a draw, but also pass commit doesnt seem to be an advantage to me. and even if they run commit middle, if u run an outside hand off ur gonna get a big gain. i dont care either way, but those fit for the same arguement u just made. so maybe if its available for 3rd an 4th down only or last play of the game/half that would make sense

17. jello1717

The problem is that the defensive keys aren't nearly as counterable. Sure you can run a draw on 3rd and 26 to try to counter their passing defensive key. Good luck getting that 1st down though. With trying to counter the run defensive keys, it just turns it into a guessing game. "Did he choose to key left, right, or middle?" The biggest problem with run defensive keys is that they are extremely arcadish and not simlike at all. It might not be so bad if they simply made all your players run in a certain direction, but that's not at all what it does. It makes everyone run in 1 direction and it shoves a turbo charged rocket up every defensive players ass to boot. Because of that you can see (fairly frequently) QBs getting sacked on play action passes and even getting "sacked" as they're trying to hand the ball off. Anything that can allow a D-line to repeatedly burst through the O-line and then tackle the QB as he's trying to make a simply hand off needs to be banned in my book.

18. GoGators

LB Fitted, refer to my first post in the thread, perhaps that will clear up the confusion.

I'm with Jello. While you can counter by throwing on 4th and 1 or running on 3rd and long, the pre snap defensive keys don't work correctly. Also attempting to run outside or even to the opposite side of the defensive key doesn't always work. Like Jello stated, the defense acts like there is a rocket up their butt and just goes flying in one direction.

Run middle key can even stop play action and pass plays because the defensive line busts through the O line pass block. It's extremely arcadish.

My initial point is that you can stop an offense by utilizing proper play calling. If you want to stuff the middle or run blitz do so, use commit 8 or pinch your line and line backers. Real life defense is strategized by each player having a responsibility, not running in one direction at the snap of the ball on a pure gamble.

Lastly, the game plan feature can at least be countered. If at the end of the game you're losing you can use the aggressive feature and the offense can use the conservative feature. This isn't the case with the run/pass keys because even if I chose to pitch outside, your run middle commit can still stop me.

However, if we want to ban the game plan feature as well, we can have a discussion/vote about that. I just wanted to make sure that this discussion stayed on the basis of the defensive keys.

19. lilmaggie

So am I right in assuming the new rules for the upcoming season would look likw this.
    -No run commit ever(i am not sure about pass comit)
    -Game plan features are Ok
    - keying on a specific WR or HB is OK
    - No chew clock until final 2 min of game

20. GoGators

everything is correct except the chew clock will be allowed during the final 2 minutes of the first half and the entire 4th quarter. No pass commit either, you can only key on a WR or HB.

21. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I am on board with these rules