Defensive Playbook Help?

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by Miki1369, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Miki1369

Miki1369 Walk On

Sup everyone, i have never done this before, but i dont know what else to do. I need some help finding an effective defensive playbook. I have have tried the following ones without any good results:

Oakland
    SF
    Houston
    Miami

I would appreciate any suggestions u may give me cuz i am starting to lose interest on this game because i cant seem to stop anyone, i believe that in the last 4 weeks my opponents have punted just 2 or 3 times combined, this is really bad.

My team is best suited for the 4-3 but i am willing to try anything at this point. I see that the Packers, Cards, Colts and Saints have the top defense in the league so any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
    A Frustrated Madden Colleague

2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

My suggestion would be to break it down and try the base defense PB's. I like the multiple and the 3-4. In league play I use the 3-4 which is best suited for my personnel and style. My record wouldn't show it, but I think my opponents would agree that my defense isn't the worst in the league. My problem is I turn the ball over too much and give my opponents short field to work with. If you're having troubles stopping your opponent, my suggestion with this year's Madden would be to use situational defense. Make sure you have the right players for the right scheme matched up against what the offense is showing. Play to prevent the BIG plays, and let the offense attempt the small gains. They'll eventually break down and you'll get a stop. Don't bet the house when your opponent can make a quick read to burn you.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hulk_hagen_55

Hulk_hagen_55 Hulkamaniac

i know my Defense isnt rated in the top five or nothing, but i have noticed that if you stay in more base plays like cover 2, cover 3, man under, even cover 1. this allows you to see what the team your playing wants to do, then adjust acordingly, study the teams your facing personell and find weaknesses you can exploit. let your roster to the heavy lifting if your struggling, limit your blitzes. playbooks in my mind are almost irrelevant once you find the formations you want. if running a 4-3, you should practice with your 4-3 stack and 4-3 over. 4-3 over has formation wise possibly the fewest gap holes (if you dont know what im talking bout look it up). also if you have a solid D line ( i know you have my Geno atkins, so yea you do have a good one) 3-3-5 and dollar dont allow you to have your best players on the field so nickle normal/strong and dime are your friends. again study study lab lab. hope it helps, i dont want t give you my secrets but if your struggling the best you can do is start from square 1 and reteach yourself the very basics of your defensive scheme

• Like Like x 3
  4. redlishus

redlishus PMFL Staff - El Guesser

Heed this advice and I bet you will see improvements. I haven't played you this year, so I don't know if you do blitz heavy. If you do, cut back on it and stay in more base defenses like Hulk said.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

Doug and Aaron both laid it out about as best as you can. All i can add to that is play selection and stick skills. Nailing those really help.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Miki1369

Miki1369 Walk On

First of all thanks for the feedback guys, just wanted to add that i do scout my opponents before each game to see what are their main targets and i try to focus on them, but apparently i was using the wrong approach when it came to stopping them.

Aaron, I have used the 4-3 stack, over and base a lot, especially when i'm trying to stop the run. Also, to your point I play a lot of 3-3-5 and dollar on passing downs, but i will try the dime and nickles strong more to see if we could get better results.

I'm also guilty of blitzing maybe a bit more than i should and that leaves my CBs one on one on the outside, which opens up the big plays.

Doug, I will definable try to play more base stuff with the Safeties over the top to see if we could prevent the big plays, and i will make sure to match up my defense to the offensive personal.

Hopefully, by doing this i will be able to keep my opponents under 40 points and make them punt at least a couple of times per game.

Thanks again....

• Like Like x 1
  7. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Number one thing you should do is use a variety of looks. Don't always come out in the same look so the defense can't get a good presnap read on you. If you're known to play man on 3rd down, switch it up and go zone on 3rd to throw your opponnet off. When you do blitz, try using more zone blitzes to avoid leaving guys on islands. Lastly, utilize your coverage audibles.if a guy is killing you over the middle shade your cb's and safeties to the inside and same for outside. So yeah moral, of the story is to give a variety of looks

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

One word...Multiple

9. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I've used the multiple PB in the past. For some reason I went with Dallas PB early on. I fell into the blitz happy mode though and paid for it by giving up some big plays in key moments of games. Def have to pick and choose your blitzes. Seems like when I blitz, my opponent hits it for a big play. I'm trying the NE book now which has a couple of different fronts. Held NO to 21 and under 200yds passing but, he gashed me on the ground for over 140. Let's see what happens vs Pitt...

• Like Like x 2