Defensive Tips for Heisman Settings

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Feb 13, 2010
    **** Im not the original writer of the following thread. Im just posting it to share with you guys. ****

Learn to play better defense while on offense and special teams -

- Ball control offense (the longer your opponent is on the sideline, the less time they have to make plays. Take your time calling plays, take your time making adjustments and scanning the defense).

- Take extreme care of the football (always cover the ball and use the dual stick control to cover it even better, take very minimal risks in the down field passing game to avoid INTs...)

- On 3rd and 20, get into the habit of not throwing a risky bomb, just run the draw and set up for the punt

- Master punting, especially in situations that you can pin them deep

- Acquire a strong-legged kicker that can kickoff into the end zone and force the CPU to have to start from the 20

1.Run Defense- the key with the CPU is to be opportunistic RARELY, conservative is the way to go unless team very talented, you must learn positioning LBs and safeties is key along with good user skills and blitzing where the run is going, using run commit minimally and usering with safety or LB is key also (back LB up 5-8 yards so you don't get sucked into run commit)

2.Pass Defense- the key is pressure, man coverage is the way to go most of the time unless facing a vicious offense or cover men aren't good enough, than go with zone, key again to all defense when you're anticipating/expecting is to place people in position to make a play, so Cover 2 for short/intermediate, Cover 3 for some routes that go deep but still want underneath help and Cover 4 for serious deep protection along with man coverage backed up, blitzing along with a good/great pass rusher is the key to pressure-learn to user a good pass rusher or a DT for a quick over the middle passes then knock it down, also learn to overload/blitz inside or outside/hot route blitzes or crash line to create different more powerful blitzes, the CPU unlike human players have a longer clock in their head for the most part so the CPU CAN be pressured into throwing more short less dangerous passes when a human player would just force it or throw it away, CPU rarely throws it away as CPU is rarely out of the pocket, finally learn to user coverage which is good for both human and CPU

3.Lost Defense-when you are getting whooped or don't know what to expect learn to have the PLAYS you're comfortable with vs mostly anything, only use lost defense when truly lost or CPU will catch on for the most part and get you, best lost defenses are Cover 2 man or Cover 3/4 zone, zone blitzes/ the reason I say zone blitzes are good vs the CPU for "lost" defense is because usually the CPU will dump it off right where you blitzed, because you know that you can control whoever is supposed to replace coverage in that spot and sometimes get some picks but mostly quick tackles slowing down the explosive offense a little

4.Pressure Defense-nothing is more fun than getting pressure but the key vs Heisman CPU is ALWAYS to be as safe as possible until you feel it's time, my point is if something is working vs the CPU unlike human players CPU adjusts fairly well but human players might not adjust as quickly due to hardheadedness, anyway learn to user the best pass rushers, learn to use as many blitzes as possible and their uses, and learn to get pressure INSIDE the pocket as the CPU doesn't scramble like a human player so inside blitzes are of more importance especially vs the CPU and don't allow direct straight passes, KEEP THE MIDDLE CLOSED vs the run or pass

5.Relaxing Defense-the key to this is knowing the CPU sometimes HAS you for a few plays so RELAX, also mashing buttons don't always work well vs a well oiled machine like Heisman as you can be embarrassed, so learn timing even more vs the CPU, learn to mix it up and be comfortable with mixing it up, learn to be calm, collected, and ready to move on and capitalize

6.Annoying Defense-sometimes you'll HAVE the CPU, call the play over again one more time to make CPU adjust, learn to use your team's strengths as CPU is trying it's hardest, learn to use man defense in crucial situations as CPU will be used to zone especially in long situations with a blitz maybe, this will result in a pass and tackle most hopefully before the first and then the CPU will most likely punt

7.Don't go Crazy-understand the CPU has a program/script and read into it, don't lose it because CPU seemingly "cheated", yes the CPU cheated most likely lol but you must understand the CPU has a script and catch on, get the plays for the script and you won't go "Crazy" anymore

also on a side note if your having a hard time tackling the CPU's Receivers/running backs i suggest taking your tackling from normal to conservative it helps alot especially if you have lower rated linebackers

and remember

without defense theres no championship
  2. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

Nov 26, 2010
    Lord knows I need help in the air...
  3. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Nov 7, 2010
    Really appreciate this post, being a 1 yr. NCAA rookie....thoughts;

1. Kicking game is vastly under rated in any fantasy football format....field position is measured 1 yard at a time....

2. Turnovers.....thats my achilles heel, so being conservative takes patience....which when you are down by 2 TDs is hard to swallow....yet as noted above, the more time you have the ball, the better.

3. I always set tackling to conservative.....another tip I saw was only try to strip the ball behind the line of scrimmage.

4. My challenge is having a consistent offense so I don't have to play defense as much...

Question; Is it better to control your 2nd rated LB or DE, rather than your you don't get in the way of their abilities?

Probably to most of you guys this is basic, not telling you anything you don't already know.....appreciate any tips!

Love the game!
  4. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Feb 13, 2010