Denver @ Chicago Preseason wk 1

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by nellycuz, Sep 4, 2012.

1. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

AgenT Smith

Sorry for starting thread bud (since you won, you're entitled to summary) but I wanted to do my part while it's still fresh in my head. Chicago won 23-20 in OT. Broncos were up 20-7 at the end of the first half only to be shutout in the 2nd being outscored 13-0. It was as good as a game could get considering playing with backups.

Offense: The Broncos and Coach nellycuz decided to sit QB Manning the first game and more than likely the rest of the preseason. Just not worth the risk to the organization and how much he means to this club. Brock Osweiler got the starting nod and didn't play bad. He threw for a touchdown and didn't have any turnovers. McGahee ran for around 30-40 yds and had a touchdown. The big thing on O that nellycuz figured out is Brandon Stokely wants on the field. Current slot receiver Andre Caldwell may have just lost his 3rd WR position tonight. Stokely played great. He had one long touchdown for over 50 yds and didn't drop a pass. His hands are nice and that's what you need in your 3rd WR. HB Ronnie Hillman impressed the coach as well as forgotten Knowshon Moreno. They will be battling it out for HB2 the remainder of preseason. Hillman has the edge at the moment.

[​IMG]

Defense: Coach nellycuz was impressed with his defense. Champ got burned once or twice but that was due to the play call. I really like our front 7 however we still need to work on stopping the run. Secondary had a couple of picks which was nice to see but they still have a lot of work to do in the remaining 3 weeks of preseason. 3 turnovers from this squad is good to see and hopefully a lot more to come in the regular season.

Great game Agent and I look forward to playing you in the future. Well done!

• Like Like x 2
  2. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Denver 20, BEARS 23

Manning sits; Josh McCown leads Bears to come from behind victory

The first matchup of the pre-season for the Bears wasn't lacking in excitement. The prized addition for the Broncos, Peyton Manning, ended up sitting out the game; however, the Broncos still looked pretty good. They would go on to put up 301 total yards for the game, with the biggest play coming on a 88 yard strike to Brandon Stokley. Eric Decker also finished with a 57 yard grab. All three backs for the Broncos looked pretty good, with rookie Ronnie Hillman leading the pack with 37 yards on 9 carries; they finished with a combined 92 yards. The Broncos are gonna have a decision to make regarding Knowshon Moreno...
    BEARS Analysis
    Passing - Cutler looked a bit sloppy, but he did run a script so it was expected. Jason Campbell relieved him early and started very slowly, throwing a pick early. He did recover to finish with 142 yards and a TD, but he also took 4 sacks. McCown looked great, finishing with 205 yards and a TD while leading the Bears to a comeback victory after getting into a 20-10 hole late in the 3rd. The Bears wanted to bring in a QB with better skills but this game and McCown's mobility may prove he's a good game manager if needed.
    Rushing - Nothing to really see here. Forte had 2 carries for 26 yards in limited action, while Bush had 32 yards on a team-high 8 carries. Kahlil Bell finished with 36 yards on 4 carries and more importantly, didn't cough up the rock. Allen and Booker had unremarkable nights, but Allen had a costly fumble which will put him behind Booker for the 4th spot.
    Receiving - Marshall had two drops but otherwise sat the entire game. Hester had a big day, finishing with 4 catches for 94 yards and a TD, including a 64 yard strike on a post route. He's solidified his spot as the #2 guy. WR Eric Weems had 3 catch for 53 yards, making a case for more PT, and Johnny Knox caught 3 passes for 30 yards in limited action. He looks to have recovered from the horrific injury suffered late last year. Rookie Alshon Jeffery had 3 catches for 35 yards, but also missed a couple big-play opportunities, while reserve Rashied Davis finished with 52 yards and a TD. TE E. Rodriguez had a 17 yard catch, but other than that the TEs really weren't involved.
    Defense - Rookie Brandon Hardin led the team with 4 tackles, though starter Chris Conte had 3. It looks like a battle for the FS spot is brewing. Backup RE C. Davis had 3 tackles and an INT, showcasing some athleticism. 2nd year DT Stephen Paea finished with 2 tackles, a sack, and is moving up the depth chart along with Matt Toeaina, while Henry Melton has fallen behind. Reserve end T. Gibson also had a sack. The defense forced 2 INTs on QB Caleb Hanie, which the fans loved, and a battle for the CB spot opposite Peanut is underway between Tim Jennings and Kelvin Hayden...Briggs finished with a TFL while Urlacher virtually sat the entire game.
    Cuts after the game: TE Kyle Adams, LG Green, DT Collins, MLB Adrien Cole
    Coach Smith after the game - "Well, we looked really good out there. The passing game was better than expected, but we really didn't emphasize the run. Look for Matt Forte to get more reps next week, and look for Cutler to throw more passes. In fact, out starters should be playing the entire first half, though Forte and Bush will probably split a quarter each. Defensively I expect Urlacher and Briggs to be more involved, and I expect guys in the secondary to step up too."

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Yeah man GG, gotta check to see if we meet in the reg. season.