Depth Chart Philosophy

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by sibellius, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Depth Chart Philosophy

I've played Madden for years but just up until recently I've always been the ask-madden kind of player who just focused on finding open routes and getting decent with stick skills but nothing else. Now that I've been getting into more intermediate-advanced concepts like reading and exploiting coverages and developing schemes, I wanted some tips from some of you more experienced guys on better utilizing players.

I know OVR rating isn't the best measure of success when setting up a depth chart. For example, would you start an 83 MLB who has significantly higher tackling and awareness than your 88 OVR starter, but is severely lacking in comparison for other relative stats?

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Sib,

If I were you, I would use my MLB's situationally. During the game if you hit either LB or RB (I forget which) you can flip through the positions on the screen and then hit A, then pick the player you want to sub in and hit A again.

This is a formation sub so its only good for this game and this formation. For example you might want player X in, in your 4-3 but player Y in, in your Nickle package.

That way you get both players on the field and maximize both of their abilities. Make sense?

As far as who to start, well, again it depends. If one guy can run better and cover better, use him against a team that throws more so when your guys in zone or man up on a RB/TE, he'll do better. The other guy you'll use when you're playing a team that runs more or something like that.

So to answer your question, yes, I specifically will look at things like that if I have players that are close in order to get the best matchups.

3. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

That's a good tip with MLBs, never thought of that. What about positions that are less interchangeable, like OL or WRs. I remember the situation where I had a LT that was better at pass blocking then my starter (I was a pass-oriented team), but there was a 10+ difference in the OVR rating. Would it have been stupid to swap them?

With WRs, obviously everyone values speed and catch rating but I have a few guys like LSH on my team who smokes everyone on speed and is better than my #3 and #4 on his catch rating, but has a dismal AWR rating along, not-so-great ball carrier skills, and probably like 68 OVR in that position. What would you do in a situation like that?

4. roll2tide

roll2tide Walk On

my preferences:

QB-I like THP over THA, generally. I really struggle with Pennington because he throws those floaters but I can have success with a far lower OVR QB if his THP is good.

RB-Rule #1 is that STA and INJ ratings need to be high. After that, I like speed over power.

WR-CTH rating rules the #1 & #2 spots with SPD being a bigger factor for my slot(because he's usually matched vs a LB/S/weak CB). I also like the top 2 guys to be high in STR.

LT-pass blocking
    LG/RG/RT-run blocking
    C-STR

DE-SPD
    DT-STR
    OLB-SPD
    MLB-STR

CB-speed (i can always make a manual play).
    SS-decent SPD with high STR
    FS-SPD

those are my preferences and while they often fall in line with OVR ratings I have no problem sitting a higher OVR player if he lacks the attributes I like and a lower OVR guy has the stats I like.

5. harchunk

harchunk Walk On

I generally like 'speed' guys. So I would play a guy with a slightly lower OVR who is faster over a guy with a higher OVR who is slower. But that is just my preference.