Depth Chart Q's

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by jdrhammer, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Depth Chart Q's

One thing I've noticed over the last few years is how limited you are with options at certain positions in the Depth Chart.

One thing that bugs me and I've put it in wishlists/gripe threads, is how you can't put a DE at TE or vice-versa. I know it's picky, but these positions require similar size and athletic ability. Just a question. It seems like you can add most other positions like QB at TE but you can't put a DE there.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I disagree, while they may be physically similar, there are several tools that allow an athlete to excel at either position.

There is a reason you don't see it a lot in real life.

3. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I guess I've just seen the switch or use of DE's playing TE in the program I follow. Plus, I've signed some DE's in previous versions of NCAA who were moved to TE and still retain high OVR because they had some blocking skills/TE skills. The cases I've needed to use one in the depthchart, I only had two TE's eligible and was probably redshirting the 3rd, and needed a blocker for Goal-line package. I don't think it allows you to do this in formation subs either.

Point is, why can you not have the option of throwing them in the DC as a #3 TE??? You can add MLB's.

Just a thought.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Most teams have either a FB2 or T play the third TE spot. There have been a few Tackles in the NFL who have caught touchdowns in the last couple of seasons.

I always keep a minimum of three TEs on the roster at all times. If I don't have three TEs available to play (occasional redshirt, etc), I try to keep two FBs.

5. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

calias campbell was a TE at UM then switched to DE
    LSU's chase clements was a de last season and is now a TE, most of the prostyle schools are known for making those switches

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It is NOT a common switch. Guys move around in college all the time. Some guys play DB in high school and then play WR in college (Ted Ginn), but you don't see coaches subbing in defensive backs during games.

Sure, there might be a few instances of it, but athletes who can play both TE and DE are rare. It's a very broad skill set to have.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Steamin Willie Beamon was a QB but Houston tried to turn him into a Cornerback because he had quick feet ...