Depth Chart Questions

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by Ace847, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Clarification questions for BlyGilmore RynoAid and the rest of the seasoned vets in the league

I just noticed the rule (thanks to my opponent this week) that players cannot be in different positions in the depth chart. I have read the rules but just missed the application somehow. I remember reading about this but I only remembered obvious mismatch issues like WR at TE and other blatant unrealistic stuff like that. I have a LOLB in at LE and will change it now that I have seen the rule. I did this not to gain an unfair edge but because sometimes OLB switch to play end. Also since I switched to a 4-3 it made sense to utilize my LB depth this way but I know now its not allowed so I will change it back.

Other clarification: Is it ok for LOLB to play ROLB, or MLB to play OLB? Also can a CB play Safety ever? or can a FS play SS? lastly, is it okay to run a jumbo package where your FB plays HB in short yardage scenarios?

2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

tweaked the rule a bit. that was kind of a hold over from NCAA rule sets and honestly doesn't really apply to the NFL. For starters the game doesn't let you put players wherever you want. i.e. you can't put guards at tackle on offense, and CBs can't play linebacker.

So moving forward any L/R type switch is fine. LE to RE. LG to RG. Linebackers can move around. FS and SS can switch.

If you want to do something different, get approval first. A decision will be made based on your scheme, the positions and the player types involved. So a DE to OLB would be fine if you're playing a 3-4 or attacking 4-3, and the player in question is an undersized DE. Guys like Demarcus Ware and Mathias Kiwanuka are good examples - they were both DEs in college but would have been undersized DEs so they were moved to OLB.

A move from CB to S would be allowed to, but in situations similar to the NFL. Namely aging, veteran corners who are a bit on the slower side. Ronde Barber and Charles Woodson this year are good examples.

Use of in-game packages are fine. Some I would consider almost formation subs (i.e. I have HB Spell set for two formations for when I want Wilson in the game over Bradshaw). Others you should use with moderation (two HBs in the backfield comes to mind; or any WR at TE type stuff). And honestly with how Madden is setup this year you can't really police this anyway. Certain formations have changes made automatically based on the formation.

(i.e. for me Nicks and Cruz move all over the place depending in the formation - its just how the base formation is setup ... and of course there's the HB QB TE shotgun set almost every team has).

3. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

One thing that should be clarified is it's probably OK to move certain guys from DE to OLB, but moving OLB to DE was previously frowned upon in TMFL. Curious if this is what rule D.4.0 was intended to say.

4. BlyGilmore

I'd say OLB to DE would be fine, but it'd have to be the same thing in reverse. i.e. a big, pass rushing OLB moving to DE. Especially if he was a 3-4 OLB going to a 4-3 DE. Again, you'd need approval ahead of time.

The rules were originally more concerned with formation subs as well, not your depth chart. so it was concerned with doing cheese-tastic things like putting a super fast LB in at DE in say a 4-2-5 or Dime to just speed rush the QB.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Thanks BlyGilmore for your help on this. I switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and moved OLB Sean Phillips and Jarret Johnson to ends in order to utilize my depth at OLB better. Also I have other OLB with better zone coverage skills and speed starting over these aging LB and thought I could better use them at end since in a 3-4 they basically play like a 4-3 end anyways in most formation sets. I am officially asking for a ruling on this. Hopefully I can find out by the time I play the saints tonight and if I don't hear back I will just change it for the week and go from there after an official ruling. Thanks CWT 3000 for the pm about this and for not making it a public issue before asking me about it first and letting me raise the issue on the message boards. Other owners could learn a lot from your approach in this league!

6. BlyGilmore

I'll take a look when I get home.

Both guys played DE in college and are in that tween area we're talking about (250+ pound OLBs). So as long as neither of them has crazy speed or accel it shouldn't be a problem. Again i'll confirm when I get home.

• Like Like x 1