Deron Williams to the Nets

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Dru50, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I love the move for the Nets. Williams is a bonafide stud. Definitely came out of left field

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Hopefully Williams maintains his fantasy value or improves it with this trade. He was my first round pick and I'm currently in first place in my fantasy b-ball league :)

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Ditto! I did an auction draft for the first time and spent a pretty penny on D-Will. I really think he will still kill it though. Guy is a monster.

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

The only problem with the move is if he's hasn't guaranteed signing an extension. If he plays out his contract for the Nets and dips then they got hosed, especially if he signs with the Knicks in 2 years. That would be a major blow to the Nets pride.

If they can keep him though this is a coup.

6. Dru50

I think that's a risk the Nets had to take, since it's obvious that nobody was going to want to join the team/organization as currently constituted. It's definitely a gamble.

7. BDSDIGITAL

I tend to agree. It's a better acquisition than the Knicks made. I'd rather have Williams than Anthony any day of the week.

They really really need him to sign that extension though.

On another note I'm very happy about the Cavs trade today for Baron Davis. Now they have 2 lottery picks this year. No show Mo was a stiff anyway so good riddance to him.

Now they'll have Jameson's 13 million ish expiring contract to trade next year, and Baron Davis's ridiculous 14 million dollar expiring contract to move in 2013. I would think each contract would be worth either a decent young player or a 1st round pick.

So good for them. Now they better hit on these two lottery picks.

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

The Cavs also have that trade exception I believe, so they might be able to get someone decent with that depending on who is made available. I'm not at all familar with basketball restrictions, so I don't know when they would lose that exception.

9. BDSDIGITAL

i believe they have a year to exercise it.

10. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

Deron Williams is NOT a better pickup than Carmelo by any stretch of the imagination. How many championship teams have had an all-star at the point in the last decade? We can go through this team by team. All the Lakers teams had Derek Fisher, who sucks. When the Celtics won, they had a developing Rondo who was not half the player he is now. The Spurs had Tony Parker, who is more of a combo-guard. I don't even know who the Heat had when they won. The only team that had an all-star passing PG when they won was the 2004 Pistons with Chauncey Billups, and the year 2004 is known as a huge talent drought year, in which the Pistons practically won by default. The point guard position does not matter in the NBA. In kiddie basketball, yes, not the NBA. Scorers come at a premium; productive point guards are a dime a dozen. Look at the Knicks and Amar'e SToudemire. Everyone said Nash made Stoudemire, but explain how his production went up when he switched to Felton. When Amar'e left, Nash's numbers went down. It is the scorer that makes the point guard, and point guards do nothing to build championship teams. It is hard to even make an impact from the position at all. There have been only two point guards that have done anything to significantly make their team better in recent memory; John Stockton and Jason Kidd. Coincidentally, neither won a championship. Unless you are one of those two guys, you are not doing much for your team. There is not that much of a gap between a premier point guard and an average point guard. There is a much larger gap between an elite scorer at the forward position with an average forward. This trade is even worse when you factor in how much the Nets gave up and that Deron Williams wants out! A horrible move by the Nets.
    And someone, please let me know if there is anything wrong with my reasoning. My conclusion is that the point guard does not matter in the modern day NBA.

11. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Oh cmon son, don't say the pistons won by default. They played DEFENSE baby, something no team plays today. That was one of the nicest teamplaying teams ever. You see how shaq got dogged in his good years by Big Ben. I stopped reading after that joke.

12. BDSDIGITAL

Eastern Conference:

1. Boston - Rajon Rondo star
    2. Miami - Carlos Arroyo marginal Lebron is really the PG on that team.
    3. Chicago - Derrick Rose star, legit mvp candidate
    4. Orlando - Jameer Nelson All Star, very good PG
    5. Atlanta - Mike Bibby ok PG, has seen better days
    6. NY Knicks - Raymond Felton good young PG
    7. Philadelphia - Jrue Holliday decent young PG
    8. Indianapolis - Darren Collison good young PG

Western Conference:

1. San Antonio - Tony Parker star
    2. Dallas - Jason Kidd HOF PG
    3. LA Lakers - Derek Fisher good PG, one of the most clutch shooters in playoff history
    4. OK City - Russel Westbrook star
    5. N. Orleans - Chris Paul star
    6. Denver - Chauncey Billups very good PG, also one of the most clutch shooters in playoff history
    7. Portland - Andre Miller decent PG, way past his prime
    8. Memphis - Mike Conley good young PG

If the playoffs started today that would be the playoff field. There is 1 team of the 16 that doesn't have at least a decent PG and that's Miami, and that's only if you consider Carlos the point. There are alot of points in a Miami game where Lebron is running the point so that's debatable. Other than that I count about 10 all star caliber PG's, a few guys that are top 10-15 players in the NBA and 4-5 good solid young PG's that have a ton of room to grow. I also count 2 or 3 sure fire hall of famer and a few of the best clutch shooters in playoff history.

13. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Just to let you know that Bibby was traded to Washington for Kirk Hinrich and Raymond Felton is in Denver. Billups is in New York. You missed the whole 'Melo trade, huh?;)

14. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

Felton is a Nugget, Knicks have Billups now [​IMG]

15. BDSDIGITAL

Yes I'm aware guys. That wasn't the point. Those teams are the position they are in now because Felton and Billups were the PG's for 3/4 of the season.

Smartasses. :)

16. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

they traded bibby to washington wtf why to sit behind wall?

17. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

continue reading it, that was not a major point of the paragraph

18. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

As one of the very few DIEHARD basketball fans on TSO I have to respond:). First, you need a good point guard to be successful. Tony Parker is a point guard, he is nowhere close to being considered a two guard. He cannot knock down jumpers consistently to save his life. His bread and butter is the pick and roll or drive and kick. Next, I'm a Laker hater (God knows I am) but Derrick Fisher was a very good point guard in the early 2000s. Flash gets you recognized or at least sent to the All Star game. His defense and clutch 3s bailed LA out alot. Not an All Star but a very effective player that will probably find himself into the HOF one day.

Saying their is no need for a point guard in today's NBA is ludicrous. Not one team that has won a championship on the last 15 years came equipped with a 'garbage' point guard. Ron Harper ran those Bulls' teams. Lockdown defender and could knock down shots. You can't really say those guys who had to play in the 'Jordan' era were garbage. Gary Payton fell to Jordan. John Stockton, with the third leading scorer in NBA history on his team, fell to Jordan. Kenny Smith ran the offense with grace to give Houston their rings. Them early Bulls' teams were ran by BJ Armstrong. Isiah Thomas ran the Pistons before that. Magic ran the Lakers. Dennis Johnson ran the Celtics of the 80s. Shit you got me going over here, not a team in the last 25 years had a garbage point guard:)

Where was a point guard not needed?

• Like Like x 1
  19. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Bibby is on the decline, he could help mentor Wall a bit. Plus, Jeff Teague is impressing his teammates and they think he's ready. I've honestly never seen him play and wish Jamal Crawford would pass the ball a little more and got some time at point. He's nasty as hell but nobody gets to see it.

20. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

Derrick Fisher was never all that good. I also disagree with you about Tony Parker. But even so, 6 or 7 of the last 10 NBA championship teams had non-factors at point guard

21. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The Cavs can collect all the cap space they want, no one will want to sign with them.

22. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Do you even watch basketball? Non-factors? Come on man.

23. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Its cool to diagree. I still disagree with you but I guess this is the way it is. Last time I discussed basketball on here I was called racist because LARRY BIRD IS OVERRATED! LoL, don't wanna turn over that rock again, well not on here, may try it on another forum:)

Are you from Ohio? Just asking because you would be the first person from that area that has EVER said that out loud. Lebron takes a lot the blame for Cleveland's recent failures but where the fvck was Mo Williams at? One of the greatest disappearing acts of all time! He didn't hit shit in the playoffs. During the regular season he was the perfect sidekick but his play let down the Cavs more than King James' play.

24. BDSDIGITAL

I am a Cavs fan from Ohio yes.

And Mo Williams was fucking worthless in the playoffs. Lebron choked in some of those games too (game 5 v. Boston) but it's hard to say that Mo Williams choked when he never showed up in the first place.

25. Dru50

Living in the NY area I can tell you that it is impossible to have a rational conversation with any knicks fan regarding the carmelo deal. Knicks fans are convinced that melo is the 2nd best player in all of basketball (I've heard arguments on the radio that he's also the best in the game) and that the knicks are a championship contender right now. Evidently all the knicks fans who watched the Riley knicks teams have forgotten you need to actually play some defense to win in this league.