Detroit sports rant

Discussion in 'Between The Lines' started by BigSmooth33, Sep 13, 2010.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Detroit sports rant

I don't have the energy to repost... My blood pressure is setting medical records since yesterday afternoon...

Here's my shot at getting over the injustice from Chicago yesterday.
    [ame="http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35274"]http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35274[/ame]

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Amen to this. I could not believe what I witnessed yesterday. I have watched every Detroit lions game for the last 15 years of my life (I am 21 now). I thought I had seen it all until I witness this bullshit yesterday. I drive 60 miles every sunday just to continue watching these games with my dad and HOPING AND PRAYING for the lions to win a few games, then we finally win a HUGE GAME after our freaking QB goes down AGAIN for who knows how long and we get Fucked. The NFL will continue to back up the refs when we all know it was a TD. READ THE RULE then watch what calvo did after he caught the ball. He was standing up on his own power after completing the catch and hitting the ground. I don't see why the sports world hates Detroit but its truth now. Two years ago we were the worst team in NFL history YET the we still have to play the Refs every week of the season.

Lions are 1-0 as far as I am concerned. But the season is over regardless now because out franchise QB gets hurt, of course.

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

reminds me of Raiders fan rants after the tuck rule. "I think its a silly rule that the refs should have ignored in this situation" isn't a good argument.

IMO this is a classic case of the slo-mo replays making it seem like he made the play, instead of watching it in real speed and realizing it wasn't so cut and dry.

you see players make that catch all the time before falling on their backs or sides while holding onto the ball for dear life. if Johnson had done the same this wouldn't be an issue, yet for some silly reason he decided to use the ball to brace his fall - not a smart decision, especially considering the stakes.

4. Hova

The rule is you must complete the catch until you are down on the ground. He landed all the way down and was getting back UP and let the ball go as he was standing up on his own power. That call would never get overturned if it was the bears scoring the game winner. I have seen the same play so many times be called a catch so I am not buying non of that BS.

Just like Jim Joyce in detroit earlier this year. Also remember the pistons playoff run a few years back? The refs ADMITTED to unfairly calling the pistons players after the playoffs were over. I do not know what is is about that city, I hate that I am a fan of the city though. Ultimate torture.

5. BlyGilmore

[youtube]4s_EPK9MtJE[/youtube]

he wasn't getting backup by his own power - his momentum carried him toward the back corner of the end zone.

and i have never seen a guy fall like that, try and brace himself with the ball and end up losing it.

again all the replays of this are in slow-mo which make it look closer than IMO it was. it makes all of his moves look more deliberate and give a false sense of how long each act was. if you watch it at regular speed it looks like a guy hitting the ground hard, spinning, trying to brace himself and losing the football all in one motion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=300912003

as for the NBA refs, that's part of the reason I don't watch basketball any more. refs have way too much power over the result of a game and often influence who wins and who loses.

6. BlyGilmore

btw your head coach doesn't agree with you ...

7. Hova

Like albom said how long does he have to hold onto it? 5 seconds? He jumped came down fell all the way down and palmed the ball and let it go.

Lol at the REF standing RIGHT THERE, calls it a TOUCHDOWN immediately. Then they OVERTURN it without review. I have seen so many calls like this be TDs. You are out of your mind if you think that should not be a TD.

So if i guys catches a bomb and runs into the endzone then drops the ball its not a catch? Or is it only a catch because there are not defenders around him? The rule is a joke and has not straight forward interpretation. No way in hell this gets called a drop by the home team.

8. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

First of all, the refs have the ability to view this play in slo-mo, and they did, so even if real time speed makes it seem like less of a catch, the video replay should have lead to an overturned call.

Second of all he didn't use the ball to brace his fall, he had already fallen.
    he was rolling over, getting up, and beginning to celebrate when he let go of the ball. As he came down with the ball, he palmed it and landed holding it out to show that he made the catch. I don't understand how that doesn't constitute a catch if he is on the ground waving it around in one hand...

9. Hova

I don't care if Jesus ascends from the heavens and calls it incomplete. Anybody watching that would call it a TD, especially on the importance of that catch. What more could he have done? He got everything down with blatant possession. Then some unknown rules comes into play when it never has before. Only when the lions can finally win on the road..

10. BlyGilmore

again similar to the Tuck Rule, if you want to argue the rule is dumb and should be changed, that's one thing and I'd probably be right there with you.

if you want to argue the rule is dumb and should have been ignored in this situation (which a lot of Raiders fans did) then that's retarded.

The rule is pretty clear (from Peter King's column): If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control, and the ball touches the ground, the pass is incomplete.

And again, YOUR COACH doesn't agree with you.

Losing sucks, especially like that and while losing your QB of the future. But you lost because a) the refs made the correct interpretation of the rules as they are right now b) your great young receiver didn't tuck the ball away and fall on the ground.

11. Hova

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground"

laying on the ground for almost 2 seconds PALMING THE BALL, then standing up.

But ok, you must be watching another highlight.

12. BlyGilmore

See this is a retarded argument. So because it meant the Lions would have won the refs should have ignored the rules?

I'm sure the Bears fans would have loved that.

"After further review, because of the importance of the play in determining the outcome of this game, and the fact that myself and the referee crew things the rule is stupid, we have ruled the play a Touchdown - even though the rulebook in my back pocket dictates it should be an incomplete pass."

maybe Cowboys fans can get in on this too. Holding penalties shouldn't be holding penalties when the result of the play is what would be a game winning touchdown.

yes i am watching another highlight - i'm watching the full speed highlight in which the whole thing happens in a split second.

13. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Great call

14. Hova

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground"

laying on the ground for almost 2 seconds PALMING THE BALL, then standing up.

I understand the rule, and should have still been a touchdown. He made the catch AFTER he hit the ground. How long does he have to AFTER he hits the ground? 5 seconds? Can he never let it go?

I see WRs all the time let go of it as soon as they hit the ground, they set the ball down or just drop it. Still a TD, especially when you at home just won the game...

15. BlyGilmore

you're greatly exaggerating how long he was on the ground for and making it sound like he feel, was on the ground, momentum stopped and then decided to get up.

versus his momentum flipping him over after he hit the ground and him trying to brace himself as he got his legs back underneath him.

the whole thing, in real time, is probably barely two seconds from catch to fumble.

16. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

I blame Megatron. But I thank him as well.

17. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

After watching this over and over again... i blame calvin johnson. he should of held it tight to his chest. if u look at the reply u see him reach to regain the ball after he drops it out of his hand becuz in his head i bet u he is thinking "Damn.. i prolly should of held onto to that"

all in all... thats the only person you can blame after u calm down and think about it

18. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

He was without a doubt still completing his fall or standing up after falling in a continuous motion. At no point in time was he sitting there palming the ball on the ground. Now when did the ball come out, at act of standing, or at the tail end of his fall... really?

How about this, use both hands on the football going to the ground and be more focused on completing the catch for a TD then getting up to celebrate or getting the back of your uniform drity. Issue here is CJ should have removed all doubt by NOT USING THE FOOTBALL TO BRACE HIS FALL!

BTW - from the other post, the Lance Moore 2 point convertion is not a catch in my mind, and although I do think CJ caught this ball, he still left enough doubt that either ruling is acceptible.

19. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

lance moore was catch.. the ball didnt comeout till AFTER he crossed the line.. with 2 hands on the ball.. and a colt player kicked it out.. lol NOT A GOOD COMPARISON

20. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Really...

I'm still sick about it.

There's not much that can be said anymore to change my view point.

The Lions lost because of an interpretation of a rule.

Period.

I'm disgusted.

21. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

He hit the ground and it came free in his hands, he then tried to regain control. If you can't knock a ball out of the guys hand at this point, then you're saying that he had posesion of the ball and it was a catch before he completed continuous motion of his fall... which is directly related to this play.

22. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

HA! - I guess you conveniently forgot THIS Lions game...
    Only this time the shoe was on the other foot.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2004122601/2004/REG16/bears@lions/watch

23. BlyGilmore

fixed it for ya :thumbsup:

24. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Not even close...

25. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Here's what I think. We should just go to the NCAA rules, if a player is down, hes down. Doesnt have to be touched or anything.

So in most of these cases, he has posession, hits the ground, play is over.