Difficulty stopping the TE

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by TN_Mike, Jul 16, 2013.

1. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to stopping, or at least slowing down, the TE?

I'm finding it incredibly difficult due to the fact that LB (swat button on Xbox) does not have much of an effect this year. Right off the line of scrimmage near the goal line TE's have become near unstoppable against me. Also, when they run upfield against a LB I can't stop them in coverage.

I use to be great at swatting these passes, or at the very least getting my hands up in an attempt to knock the ball down but so far no luck with this.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks!

2. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

I could be wrong but I thought the swat button was "RB"?

3. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

HA! If that's true, that could be the problem! Although I'm pretty sure it's LB.

4. RRAHx2

I;m not at home or I would check.. but if you do find out, LMK as I am curious now. lol

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

LB has always (for as long as I can remember) been the swat button and still is.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RRAHx2

Oh well maybe this has been my problem, in defending passes then! haha

7. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

Awesome, now that we have that figured out any suggestions on stopping the TE? lol

8. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Just manually control a LB. Or you can just move your LB's close to the LOS and have them play hook zones or flats. As soon as the ball is snapped they will move in that direction.

9. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ┬┐Te quieres naranjas?

User the MLB. Play Cover 1 where the MLB is in a zone covering the middle of the field. Spotlight the TE, and that should help either S who's in the deep zone to cover him if the TE goes deep. Control the middle of the field with your MLB. Be ready to act quickly, since a lot of TE throws are short and quick. If your opponent is throwing quick to the TE, 4-3 under will put a LB head up over him. Some LB's have good press ratings, and can buy you time.

You can also play Cover 1 with the safety being the robber. It all depends on which defensive formation you pick from.

I would use this if the TE is your opponents go to guy. Playing Cover 1 can get you beat deep on the outside.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  10. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

What defense are you using?

11. Wyrmreaver

Also, is this the CPU or humans? Are you getting beat in the seam or on outs and such?

12. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

I like 3-4 in normal situations and typically the Dime formation with 3 down linemen in passing situations.

This is against Human players online that I'm having troubles. I've even come out in goal line formation, near the goal line of course, to jam the hell out of the TE and that doesn't seem to more either.

I play almost exclusively with the middle linebackers in my defense. Whenever I'm covering a TE I feel like I'm chasing him down like a chicken with my head cut off! Even when I do get there in time, like I said the LB doesn't swat the ball away. The only luck I seem to have with any kind of pass coverage in this years game is when I strip the ball away from the intended receiver and he drops it.

13. Wyrmreaver

In 3 down lineman, try man cover 2. Take the LB that is supposed to blitz and hot route to a hook zone. User that LB and double cover the TE

14. Quattro

Quattro Moonwalking in a field of landmines

You can also hot route the LB to man and select the TE as the man to cover.

15. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've definitely got some practicing to do!

16. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

The toughest thing for me is (When not on the goaline) is stopping the Out route/outside slant by the TE

17. Wyrmreaver

zone.....

18. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Pink zone, correct? I find it hard to find many 4-3 plays with that zone when they come out in a run heavy formation. Or even many Nickel plays really.

19. Wyrmreaver

I like to run cover 2 sink when I am willing to give up 7 yards, it is vulnerable to a TE short hitch or a drag route (for short gains) and also in the seam, so you should control the "sink" MLB to chase the seam if necessary, but it virtually eliminates any out route

20. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Knowing your opponents tendencies can help you pick an effective D. You should also look and disguise you coverages' so he isn't comfortable looking for the same reads first. With that said depending on what route the TE is beating you , user D is best thing out there with a zone to either side to assist you. Zone is your friend though, try some cover 2, cover 2 sink, cover 4. Since you user the middle you stay home and look for seams and drags.

21. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Awesome. Thanks for the tips guys.