Difficulty

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Hey guys,

We've been experiencing a few losses to the CPU lately, so I wanted to ask how you guys feel about the difficulty level.

I've been looking at the stats, and we're not getting lit up in most cases. In fact, in most of the losses, we're out-gaining the CPU by quite a bit, and losing on turnovers and/or big plays, it seems.

I know there's been talk about broken tackles, but since I'm not experiencing any of these issues myself, I thought I'd open up the discussion.

So let's talk about it. Are we getting beat by an unbeatable CPU, or are we making enough big mistakes to lose? I want everyone to have a good time, and feeling like we can't win isn't much fun, so if anyone's having this kind of issue, now's the time.

2. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Broken tackles, CPU dt that instantly blow by their blocker on run plays regardless of rating, and linebackers with ten foot verticals make me feel cheated. They do not, however, make me feel like I cannot win.

3. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I've gone into every game this season expecting a win, but knowing that a loss was possible. If/when facing an elite team, I also realize that I'm going to have call a great game and execute just as well. That's really how it should be.

I haven't had a huge issue with broken tackles, but I make it a focus of mine to stop the run each week and am willing to take some chances with 1:1 coverage until I start paying for it. I'm all about the gang-tackle and forcing my opponent inside the tackles.

I also haven't experienced the super-natural LB play OM is referring to. But thus far, he's probably faced better teams than I have .. can everyone else chime in on this?

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Well lost another game this week. I have lost all 3 games by a total of 9 points. Honestly I think the sliders are close for the most part.

5. egofailure

Who'd you play?

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

In my opinion the sliders are fine. The loss I had was against a "rival" (although I would argue MSU is never a rival to PSU) and the way I lost was great defense by the computer. Good tackling great pursuit, and good pressure on my qb. I pressed at times but got away with the calls. In the Pitt game this year that went to double OT I couldn't run consistantly, and their QB got some momentum going and started picking me apart. The broken tackles are a bit disheartening at times, but that is football sometimes. Keep them where they are for now, and lets adjust our game.

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

I played Boston College and it was a rival game somehow, I don't really understand how Boston College could be my rival.

8. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I like the sliders- I would rather it be difficult than easy. If it were up to me I would give users a very slight boost (5) from the current setting in run defense and/or tackling but I would not complain about keeping the current set.

9. egofailure

Shinskie was a pesky SOB against me. I was only up 3 with under a minute left when he was sacked and fumbled, allowing me to run it back for the score.

10. Goose

Goose Walk On

Michigan St. scored it's only points on an 80 yard screen to the HB. He broke 5 tackles on his way to score, including me as Sabino the MLB, I ran right into him and he slipped out of my hands. Didn't dive or anything. Other than that I think the sliders are good.

11. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

I think they are tough but they should be, especially for my team. Also, we should be losing. Only 1-2 teams, max, ever go unbeaten. I'll be happy to win 6-7 games and I think it will be a solid challenge to pull that off, as it should be.

12. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Agreed with most of you guys, broken tackles are the only thing bugging me. There were like 5
    Plays when John Clay broke 4+ tackles

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

So I just played a game again North Carolina, their running back had 18 broken tackles! Check out the stats, I have rarely played a game were I felt so cheated. They were running up and down the field so fast my defense should have just stayed on the bench. Not to mention they intercept me 3 times in a row, first one I messed up but the last 2 the DB jump 10 feet in the air to get it. Check out the replays to see it. Maybe I am just over reacting but playing the cpu is just no fun.

14. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I think the broken tackles make "not falling behind early" way-ultra-super-critical vs CPU (as if anyone ever plans to fall behind early) because if the CPU switches to the ground game they are often unstoppable- compared to if a user takes a lead and the CPU goes to the air and is then easy to stop, but if the CPU were smart (yeah right) they would use the ground game to comeback and games would not alternate between super easy and super hard based solely on how the 1st quarter goes- take an early lead and it is over, but fall behind early and broken tackles will wear you out.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I have been doing something to do better in these games...practicing...I started another dynasty with the same sliders...I use a different offensive playbook (beware the wishbone!) but the defensive practice I get is what is paying off. I am finding I play much better special teams and defense because I am playing 17-14 games, rather than the blowouts I can achieve using my regular offensive playbook.

Give it a try and see what you can learn about playing defense.

16. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah I hear what you guys are saying but I don't think any amount of practice or help was going to win me this game. I cant control every guy on the field and even if I did they would just break the tackle

17. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Well you can practice and become a more "complete" player. Then you won't be in a situation where you become one-dimensional on offense and can rush for more than 17 yards. If you can rush with greater ability then you should be able to spread the ball around on offense and avoid those picks you are talking about.

You will also be able to make more defensive stops, practice playing defense against these sliders and you will see a noticeable difference in your play. I now make plays all over the field in user-user games due to my practice against these sliders.

18. bdub

bdub Walk On

Well I passed the whole game because I got down by 17 points in the first quarter so didn't really have a choice. 2nd they blitzed me with no safety coverage over the top so I would just audible into a pass play and beat them over the top, isn't that how your supposed to play offense?

I know practice will make me better but my point is sometimes you just can't beat the cpu...it wont let you.

I mean its not like I suck at this game I am 2-1 in user games this year.

19. egofailure

Dub,

I understand your points. But let's cut some fat off of your argument so we can get more pointed.

You threw for 538 yards and 6 TD. So, clearly, the CPU defense is not the issue. You mention super-human CPU defenders, but when I view your replays, I see passes being thrown over the middle regardless of coverage. Simply put, you made bad decisions and paid for it. Don't be afraid to use the sidelines, work your backs, and vary your routes. Were you locked on the preferred or slot receiver throughout this game or did you use your progressions?

After going down 14-0, you threw a 96 yard TD pass. That's impressive. You then hold UNC to a field goal, making the score 17-7.

So you have the ball, down 10, still in the first quarter. What's the urgency? Run the ball a bit! :)

Anyway, that all being said, the issue here (to me) seems to be more about your defense. So let's just stick with that.

Success in user games doesn't always compute to wins against the CPU. They're different beasts, and each have pros/cons. For instance, in most User games, you'd get slammed trying to pass the ball over the middle for nearly 600 yards. Wouldn't happen. However, in User games, you can usually get away with being more aggressive on defense. A good CPU computer will make you pay for being overly aggressive.

Who do you control on defense? Does it vary on running/passing downs?

20. bdub

bdub Walk On

Ego I hear what your saying. The reason I didn't run the ball more is I couldnt. When their D is bringing the house every play their isnt much your going to be able to do in the run game.

I do see your point about the picks though.

I always play the FS.

What made me mad as I have never in this game been run over on defense like that. Not even playing as a 1 star team against top ranked teams have I ever gotten beat up so bad. Plus I couldn't make a tackle if my life depended on it. The HB broke 18 tackles and their wide receivers probably did the same.

21. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Here is my thought....

I know that the CPU is breaking insane tackles and it use to end up in big plays against my defense. I switched defense strategies to be a lot less aggressive and have seen positive results in getting to the ball carrier even with broken tackles. Before 2-3 broken tackles meant a TD, now it just means the HB is getting to the third layer of defense but the safeties are making the tackles.

The biggest issue I have with the sliders now is the USER Run Block slider. I think 30 is just too low to get any type of A gap run game going. The DTs are off their blocks before the HB takes the handoff. I can run just fine outside and get an inconsistant run game through the B gap but anything A gap gets blown up. Any chance we could bump USER run blocking and compensate perhaps with CPU run defense increased? I think that would help keep the DTs blocked while not allowing the run game to become unrealistic.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Right now, I think the run numbers are just about right. We're running for a decent ypc, but not blowing up the statbook with nine yards a carry, like we had been before. Yes, running up the middle is tougher, and running in general is tougher, but I'm not ready to let it go back to what it was before. Sometimes, you just have to take a loss. Everyone gets blown up in the backfield once in a while. Otherwise, there would be no punting. There's barely any punting now. I find that running up the middle is more successful behind a fullback. If the OLineman gets blown up, the FB gets a block, I make a cut, and it's me vs. the backer to see if it's going to be a positive play. I win some, and I lose some.

In my opinion, the game in question had a QB who completed less than 50%, yet went over 500 yards in just over 10 minutes of game time. It doesn't take a genius to see we're swinging for the fences on every down. I'm surprised there weren't 7 INT's.

As for stopping the CPU, I don't know what to say. I do it just fine, and my D is average at best. I'll play a run-first Pitt team tonight, who has a stellar back. If I can hold them down, then I don't know how we're allowing 700 yards a game against, yet still winning. But I've played enough gam,es to know this: The stats are user generated. We are not getting worked over by an overblown CPU. We make decisions, and those decisions lay the groundwork for the game. Everybody gets dinged by the occasional CPU fluke, but it just doesn't happen 20 times in a game. NC had enough snaps by themselves to burn up the entire clock. I have no idea how we're generating this kind of offense. I just know we shouldn't be.

23. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I'm not lobbying for a change to sliders. I've learned to adapt to them and call plays that work with how the defense plays and I'm fine with that. Just saying that if any change were to be made I'd prefer a change that running A gap not get blown up so often with DTs going unblocked into the backfield. As it is I just stick to B gap runs and can do just fine. On defense I think a user can adjust to stop the big run by playing more conservative.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I wish there was a way we could open up the spread running game (and the option books as well) in a way that doesn't make the D matador-like against pro style running games. Doesn't seem to be possible, though. Maybe if we had 12 spread offenses we could do it, but otherwise, I think we kinda stuck. Still, the majority of games are getting sim stats, with the occasional oddity here and there.

25. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Arch I have found an option book that works against these sliders...the Multiple...you can run the wishbone out of it and still have enough other formations to be successful. You cannot use the wishbone exclusively (like I wish I could) but you can still use it quite a bit.