Disconnects...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Thelou, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Disconnects...any thoughts?

I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on how we should handle disconnects since we can't use our league teams in an online games and the commish can't control the sim. With the PC version, if a game disconnected you could just set the quarter length, finish the game and sim to give the correct team the win.

Without having to replay a game numerous times, if we have a set rule in place, I think that would eliminate the need to have to pause the game until an RC member or Mags become available. So I was just wondering if the RC has any ideas on what to do in these situations. I checked the rulebook and so far there isn't a rule on how to handle disconnects.

I'll start with a suggestion and this is only a suggestion:

If a game has to be restarted more than twice, the third time the game is restarted and a disconnect occurs, both teams must agree before the restart of the third game, to either: A) If the game disconnects before halftime agree to a SIM by the commish or B) Let the team who has the option of continuing against the CPU do so if the game was disconnected after halftime

I would like to hear others ideas on this topic.

2. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

God her Tits are Be-U-Ti-Ful. And you can even see a little Toe in there!!!

Lou, I've never had a game disconnect, but realize it can happen. When it does, I assume the team that is still connected has the option to keep going vs. the CPU. But you need to educate me here...what happens if that team says, NO, I don't want to continue? Can you reconnect and restart the game? If so, I think your suggestion is a good one, and one we can adopt. You get 2 chances. If you disconnect 2x, the 3rd time you disconnect, your opponent can just go ahead and finish the game vs. the CPU.

There really wasn't any provisions in the rules for this, because over in the PC World we already had a work around for this, as you know. And our rules ar straight out of the PC League, so we know we'll have to modify them as we make our way through these situations.

3. scarface

scarface Walk On

heres the thing I have seen, when my PS3 was hooked up via the wireless connection I had a few disconnects now that its hard wired I have not had any disconnects.

That being said I think we also need to add to any rule we put in place, WHO WAS WINNING at the time of the disconnect and who was not, also how many time each person has had a disconnect and they were losing at the time.
    I have this strange feeling some guys dont want to lose and know this is a cheap way to restart the game and will just drop connection to get another shot.

This is not the first time I have heard guys doing this and I ALREADY have had Q's asking if certain owners have disconnected against me, so there are a couple 2-3 owners who seem to have more of an issue keeping a connection than others....
    Im not saying Im just saying....

BTW>>>>>>>>>>>
    FU MAGS I DIDNT DISCONNECT ON YOU EITHER LAST YEAR

4. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Styk, if a team says no, they dont want to continue vs the CPU, you just quit the game and none of the stats count. You meet back in the lobby and start the game over from scratch. I rarely have any disconnects, probably have had a total of maybe 5 between playing cheeEASO and league games.

Disconnects are a problem and they happen not sure how often and to whom, maybe thats something that you guys can start tracking. The majority of the time its a problem I think with EA servers but can't be for certain. Like you said when we were on PC, it wasn't an issue because we were peer-to-peer and we had a work around for it already in place. I don't know how much of a problem this was last season but so far in week one this season, a few teams are having issues already.

It may be the heavy volume on EA servers with the holidays and everyone off work and out of school being online. I was just thinking that this would be the perfect time to address this issue now before we get to deep into the season and post season implications start to develop.

5. gt86

gt86 Walk On

I had this happen a few times last season

I even lost a game or two because of it. I would be leading midway through the 3 rd qtr for example and up by a good amount a points. The game would disconnect either because of the game itself or something hardware related on one of the owners side we'd restart and then I lost bigtime. I have had it disconnect and say finish vs cpu and at other times disconnect and not give you that option.

I think if the game disconnects and it's either at halftime or before and the game is close score wise just restart. But if it's after halftime or has a huge lead a t or before halftime then the owner who is leading gets to play the cpu either after the disconnect of via restart vs cpu.

6. hoytpower

hoytpower Walk On

I agree with Scar!!!
    I understand disconnects can happen from time to time also. But when I see it more than once especially if a guy down and all but lost and then they play a third game that is close or the other guy wins and it suddenly runs smooth. Sorry but i'm calling BULLSHIT on that. Another thing is if a big time player gets hurt and all the sudden there's a disconnect that crap also. Were all BIG BOYS here and I've said this all along. If you can't handle to lose a game then don't join Mega cause its not for you.

Before anyone starts whining that i'm picking on them I'm not. This is strickly a " What if " example.

7. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

For the record: Last year i had a disconnect against Lions (losing), 2 disconnects against Bears (winning at the time), and a real laggy game week 17 against the Giants that somehow didn't disconnect. For me disconnects happen - rarely - but it is something that concerns me every time I play. I hate when they happen - moreso when I am losing - as I think the other guy is obviously thinking I pulled the plug, etc.

My opinion is the losing team should never have the ability to sim against the CPU in the event of a disconnect.

For the record - I will replay a game as often as my opponent would like. No big deal to me. I'd also have no problem with whatever rule is agreed to - my 2 cents though is losing team should not be able to continue against the computer.

8. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

OK, I see a concern here for guys to get a Second Chance if the game starts off badly. Hey GT...Should I have just Pulled the plug half way through the 1st Q the other night??? LOL

RC Will discuss in the next few days, and come up with a solution.

Maybe instead of a person getting the benefit of the doubt of 2 disconnects a game, they get 3 a season? And you can only use 1 a game? If you use them all up, the opponent just goes and plays CPU.

Thoughts...

9. Millertime

Millertime Guest

Fortunately, I haven't had any disconnects either....yet. My feeling is that the PS3 connections are much more reliable than the PC connections, but maybe that's not the case.

Either way, here's my feeling....if I'm up 24-0 in the 3rd quarter and the game disconnects, I'm going to be pissed that we need to restart from the beginning. And no matter how much I like my opponent, I'm going to think there's a chance the game was purposely disconnected. So that being said, here's what I propose:

Scenario #1 -- BEFORE HALFTIME -- If a game disconnects before halftime, regardless of the score, the game gets restarted from scratch. If it happens a second time, the game gets restarted from scratch. If it happens a third time, either the owners involved agree to let one of the owners restart/finish the game against the CPU, or the game gets simmed.

Scenario #2 - AFTER HALFTIME -- If a game disconnects after halftime, the team leading gets to finish the game against the CPU, assuming they are the one still connected. If the leading team is the one that gets disconnected, they have the option to either restart the game from scratch, or have it simmed. If both teams get disconnected, the leading team has the option to either restart from scratch against the CPU, restart again against the same opponent, or have the game simmed.

Obviously these aren't ideal solutions because someone will always feel it's unfair. But as Lou suggested, we need to have something official so that there's no confusion when we run into these scenarios. Even if it doesn't seem fair, at least we'll have it in writing.

10. adross33

adross33 Walk On

Lou and I have had major issues getting past half time over the last two days ... I also noticed a game this week with 10 TS!!!

I agree with Lou it could be the holiday traffic ... and from what I can tell we've had dumps from both ends because it has asked me to finish against CPU or End Game ... BTW, I think the commissioner has to allow games to be finished by one side if there is a disco'

In my old PS2 league we had to ask the owner that was left on to record stats for both ... restart the game and play the game with the time remaining while carrying over the time ... we just played unranked and changed the qrt times ... which we cannot do in this set up ... but that's how the older console leagues use to fix it ....

11. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Why not have this as an option - if a game has multiple disconnects (lets say 2 or 3) and the same guy is winning who also happens to be the person getting dropped (and thus not able to continue vs CPU) that person can play the game from start to finish vs the CPU - instead of having it Simmed and having a key player injured during a simmed game. JMO.

12. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Well heres something else to consider....the game situation at the time of disconnect. I'm going to use my own experience and this isnt meant to air dirty laundry and I'm not making any accusations.

First game, i'm losing 21-14, 4th qtr about 5mins left in the game. I'm driving for the tying score and just converted a 4th n 1 for a 1st down, game disconnects and gives "ME" the option of continuing vs the CPU. I check with my opponent and he agrees to replay. I think it was a good decision so we replay the game.

Game two, I'm winning 17-3, just got an interception around his 30 yard line and i'm driving for another score, game disconnects with 1:36 left before halftime, it gives "ME" the option again to continue vs the CPU. So I talk to my opponent and Mags, then I decide to replay the game again but tomorrow becaused I'm pissed right now.

Game three the next day, I'm winning 14-12, my ball around my 40 yd line or so, 3rd qtr with 6:26 left in the game, game disconnects, again it gives "ME" the option to continue vs CPU. I'm fkn steaming now...talked to Mags, he gives me a few options, I reluctantly agree to restart AGAIN....

Game four same day, losing 14-0, start of 3rd qtr, game disconnects, I don't get the option this time to continue so I assume it was EA or on my end this time. Fkn still pissed cause now I know he's thinking i did it intentionally, which I didn't. But hell I was winning 2 of 3 games and was about to tie the third game. This leads me to my post this morning looking for some advice. My game still hasn't been completed yet.

13. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there cases where both teams get the continue option on a disconnect?

14. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

For the record our games have been really close and its a shame that we can't seem to finish what has been 4 very tough games. I'm thinking about playing today, best team wins, if the game disconnects, I'll just let Mags sim it. I'm ok with that but I want to get it agreed to up front before we try again.

15. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

Hi, I live in the Great White North. You pigf***ers all live in the great USA. Did you know that I can not watch all of those cool camera angles on NBC.com Monday nights even though I'm more American than Luis or Polo...I've been dealing with disconnects on a regular basis since August. Maybe it's something to do with the Olympics..

I had a game yesterday where we had quite a few disconnects (for whatever reason). In all but one the score was quite close, with a team poised ready to score. As frustrating as it was, I am grateful that my opponenthad the time and the courtesy to keep trying until we got it right. I don't know if you can put a rule in for something that has so many variables.

For instance the third or fourth time it disco'd I was down by 7 with 5mins left and I had just returned the kickoff to my opponents 45. Suddenly it says game disconnected, do I want to play CPU...stealth would've been pissed! I can only imagine how I would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

I think it's one of those things where you just work out a resolution with your opponent..in the past I've replayed partial quarters to complete a game with the rest being played vs. CPU, restarted from scratch, had the game simmed, etc.

May you all find serenity this holiday season..

16. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

No Mags, the first three games I got the option to continue vs CPU. I was on skpe at the time with 5 other league members so they can bear witness to my rants when the games disconnected. Some suggested that I just continue and I chose not too.

Last game last night was the only time he may have got the chance to continue because it didnt give me the option.

17. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

I don't think you get option in a league game Mags, maybe in EASO.

18. adross33

adross33 Walk On

Mags is correct ... I got the option on all of the disco's as well .... at 3rd time I just shut down and restarted my network to get a fresh start ....

And Dear Lou in the first game you weren't driving for any equalizing score ... you were deep in your own end, struggling for air ... ;) with a shade over 2 mins ...

Either way, it has been frustrating to get these disco's .... we've played some tight games ... very enjoyable ... but always waiting for a disco sucks ...

19. gt86

gt86 Walk On

Maybe being on skype with 5 other owners while trying to play a league game could be one of the reasons why you got so many disconnects. Maybe you shouldn't be running any programs on your pc that take up bandwidth while your playing a game.

20. Kan

Kan Walk On

Is everyone on a wired connection as well? As scar said earlier, wireless connections aren't the best idea.

21. Luis

Luis Walk On

I was using a wired connection till I played my first fran game and I got a disconect for the first time. I'l go bak to the wired one.

22. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Agreed. Also think a system reboot after a disconnect should be done by both parties.

23. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

Truth be told, I thought that I had mine hardwired, but noticed last night after the 4th disco that I was running wireless..must've gotten unplugged during renos. Hopefully this fixes things going forward.

24. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Being on Skype with five other guys had nothing to do with the disconnects on my end as i have yet to disconnect in my other 2 leagues. I played all last season without ever having a disconnect and the only 2 disconnects prior to this was when I wasn't using Skype and playing on EASO. Try another diagnosis. Funny I was still on Skype with two guys and we just completed a game with no disconnects. Blows that theory out of the water.

25. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

1.as far as running other programs. in this day and age it shouldn't be an issue. with that being said id run a speed test (every single person) who is having disconnect problems to see what you are working with. i live in silicon valley and people who use dsl probably have to minimize usage while playing online. poor upload and download speeds. while there is no set # your upload speeds should be 1mb or higher ideally. download not as much a factor but a couple mb or higher.

2. i feel if a team is winning in the 4th quarter by any combination of 2 scores and connection drops that owner should be able to finish vs. computer if the option is there even though it might suck for the other guy. if a team is winning in the third qtr. under same guidlines i think both owners should decide together.

3. if the connection drops more then twice in a row then the third time around should be whoever gets the option to finish vs. cpu would just play the game out UNLESS THAT TEAM WAS LOSING at which point the game would go to a sim.

4. there should definately be a tracking system for teams that have lost connection to see if a patten is there, developing, or just their internet connection is provided by kmart.

5. everybody owes it to the rest of us to play on a hardlined connection. even if your house setup isnt perfect and you think you have to be on wirelessly. i moved my router next to ps3 so i am hardlined easily. before i did this i had a 75 foot ehternet cable stringing from office all the way across living room floor to the ps3 whenever i was online. thats extreme, but in a wierd way i feel its respectful.

*just a final note dating back to last season.i had 3 games with me being up big in two of them where the game suddenly lost connection. all in a row and the third one being the most frustrating. i was beating this owner by a TD or less with under two minutes left. he was driving down the field and had his playoff hopes on the line. it was actually week17 when this happened. my guy intercepted the ball for the game winner. i picked qb kneel and the game froze. the guy swore up and down that he didnt do that, but i feel this was a win at all costs guy who btw is out of the league now anyways. point is unfortunately there are people who will purposely quit and we should have a some set rules on how to deal with. sorry about long post.