Discussion: Defense

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Shaun Mason, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Talking with people via PM, I thought this would be education.

Question 1: Many people play middle linebacker as a user. How do you know what your responsibility is in the run game?

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

As I said in our PM... its pretty much get to the damn ball. Its not as if I'm playing MLB and someone runs an off tackle and I think its my responsibility to seal the edge BUT for the most part I think people playing MLB have a pretty good idea of where they need to fill.

Moreover, I don't think people main issue is stopping the run. Its stopping the pass.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

People that user the MLB are sissy homo's. :p Real men user the Safety :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

(Radio call in show voice) Ill hang up and listen. I would say shade the runner and try and meet him in whatever hole he picks to hot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

To add something constructive it comes down to what your opponent does. If they are a pass heavy team I would read the pass and react to the run and vice versa for run heavy teams. When you face a more balanced team I'd imagine I would stay in my area, pass or run, so if my opponent cutbacks back I am there or I'd try to force him to stretch the play to the outside.

6. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

I played defense all of my life in football. I started out as a cornerback then due to my braun and brains ;) , I was moved to play OLB and some MLB.

The MLB's primary responsibility is to the run game. At the same time the MLB must read the offensive tackles which will immediately tell you run or pass (unless screen or draw) and track the FB or HB (in case of Ace formation).

The MLB's primary responsibility in the run game is to take on any lead blocker and constipate the gaps. In the case of a pass, the said linebacker reads the tackles (therefore cannot be confused on PA) and drops to the appropriate zone. Most NFL defenses has the linebacker dropping back 10-15 yards (especially in the case of Tampa 2, or Cover 2 style defenses).

In summation, the MLB is to read the tackle quickly to determine run or pass, then immediately track the back and fill the gap of the lead blocker (counters can be a bit trickier).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Pretty much this, but always respect play action and try to stay at home until I'm sure it's a run then attempt to make a play at the LOS.

8. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Imo, if you read run then its do whatever you can to get the ball carrier down. If someone comes out an in ace formation and runs a dive or sweep and I can cut a gap and get to him in the backfield, I will. I know some people have problems with that, I just dont think its realistic to expect someone usering the MLB to stay on their side of the LOS instead of blowing a play up.

9. Gyrene76

I agree, I make mistakes, but I have been reading the tackles for years on NCAA and now Madden. There are many times that I know there is a lead blocker and I just run my MLB right into him in the hopes of clogging the hole.

10. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I do the same thing is well. There are too many times you get burned by letting the FB get to the second level instead of taking him on in hopes of trying to get to the ball carrier without going through the FB.

11. Gyrene76

Absolutely, if FB gets untouched by a LB and makes it to the second level, then the RB is one cut away from six!

• Like Like x 1
  12. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

This is what i try to do as well when i user a MLB (i switch what position i user depending on down and distance). If you can prevent ANYONE from getting second level, you should have success stopping the run.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

I had the #1 defense last year. This year? Not so much.

14. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Based on the season 2 scores, it seems people have figured out the quirks of the game a bit.

15. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I have figured out I have an easier schedule lol

I just try to limit the two main weaknesses my team has , bend but don't break & hope my front 7 can make plays

16. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

To add to the discussion, 95% of the time I user a linebacker. I generally like to take the strong side linebacker depending what side that is. So I am traditionally the outside linebacker in my 4-3 scheme. Really what I try to do is seal the edge and blow up the blockers to allow my other defenders to make the play. I feel like if I can seal the edge and force the play inside my guys will clean up the rest.

17. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

That actually helped me defensively more than offensively. The more I know about what is effective and will likely be run in certain situations, the easier it is to manually take it away.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    You guys missed the question.:)

I wasn't asking "how do you play linebacker", I asked, how do you know what YOUR responsibility is?

In other words, do you play 1 gap or 2 gap?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Keller

I guess I missed that boat then cuz I can only cover 1 side of the field :(

20. Keller

And I answered both, lol.

21. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I user the MLB almost every play. In past seasons I would kind of ignore what I was actually supposed to do with the guy and either try and blow up the run or just sit in the middle of the field/pickup a TE. This year I am trying to (at least in man) actually match up properly. I think I did it before just instinctively, but this year I am actually checking. I just look at the play art to know where I am supposed to go now. Idk how sound of a plan this is, but it works a decent amount of the time.

22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Both as in two gap, or both as in one and two gap?

23. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Not a damn clue :) but you already know that. I don't even know what 1 or 2 gap is.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    God love you.

25. Keller

When I'm playing MLB i'm looking for anything in A/B gaps on my side of the center more often than not but it depends on the alignment obviously.