Discussion from clubs 2/9/11

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by Drifterbub, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    All,

Great round of games last night. I thought the overall group performance was fairly strong. Here's a few notes I took last night.

Playing opposing strikers onside - This is so easy to avoid. Watch the map and make sure that if there is a striker ahead of the ball that your guy (and the rest of the D-line) is between the ball carrier and him. When one defender steps up to force a pass, the entire D-line needs to trap the striker offsides. We played 4-5 goals in because someone was in a stupid position. Your job as a CB is to stay home and protect our side of the field. It's an important job and I expect you to be committed to it.

Bad runs - so many times we had the ball in space pushing forwards (a lot of times with a number advantage) and the ball carrier has no one to throw it to. The forwards, CAM and wingers have to make smart runs INTO SPACE. If you are ahead of the ball, the right run is hardly ever directly towards the opponents goal, unless of course, we are nearing the box with the ball. Make diagonal runs that take your guy across a defender and into space. The mental image of three guys in the middle of the field running straight at two defenders is still burned into my mind. Yes, that's two CBs covering three of our forwards.

Ground passes v lobbed passes - This takes a bit more skill to judge, but basically speaking, when you lob the ball into the air, it gives the defender time to close. If the recipient of the pass is already in space or unmarked, there is little reason to lift the ball into the air. A ground pass is much more safe and does not inhibit progress down field.

Pro progression - Although we played well, we did so with a lot of pros in the 70s. Guys, do the club a favor and spend some time building your guy up. You would be very surprised at what you can unlock in just a few games. Target specific categories that will improve your game (I suggest sprint speed, agility and short passing) and knock them out in one game. It's a lot easier to do what we want when our pros have more talent. I need to see everyone in the 80 OVRs at every position soon. So go out and get those unlocks!

Feel free to chime in with anything else you guys want to discuss

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i think we need to identify the strengths in each player and assign 2 positions to each member. If we have 5 or more.. you have to play your designated position. I felt like a few of us were out of place last night and it showed at times.

I was very impressed with Moon's play on the wing though, he was our best player last night IMO.

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

on the progression thing... it's not always true.. i've played over 150 club games... 3 seasons in manager mode and a ton of time in the arena and im only at 78 ovr. It's not a cakewalk to
    get to 80 by any means unless you are manipulating things to boost your unlocks.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yup, that's what we are trying to do. Unfortunately we have a lot of new guys. Even guys who have played with us for a while, like Goose for example, have only played one position. Last night was a good chance for me to put some guys in some other positions and see how they do. I took a lot of notes last night.

I'll second your comment about moon. He's an asset on the wing for sure.

You have to target specific ones or you will never get them. Like three cross assists in back to back games, for instance. You will never get that just playing games. What I did was take 5-6 different ones that I thought I could get and did a game on world class with 20 min halfs in kick-off mode. If you are on a team like Real Madrid and play against some Australian team, you will be able to get them more easily. You could go a step further and pick a small club somewhere and edit all their players to be terrible, if you wanted.

The ones you have to target are the big improvements (+3 and +4s). So it's definitely worth the effort. I know it sort of sounds like a pain in the ass, but you will be glad you did it.

Oh! Also, playing around with your phyiscal attributes can boost your OVR as well. Some of you are too tall, too heavy or not tall enough. That all effects your OVR in different ways for a specific position.

5. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

nah.. ill just play the game naturally and get them as i deserve them.... im not into manipulating the environment so i can pwn everyone.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It's not manipulating the environment to play a longer game on world class. Even if you are using your career mode teams, it still gives you a chance to get at a few of those harder unlocks. But whatever...

7. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

ill be an 80 ovr CAM shortly... my CDM is lagging a bit at 76 but i will work on them in career mode

8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

All I can say is: when I came in we didn't lose!

edit: supposedly we lost, according to drifter hahaha

9. KnightNoles

from my LCM I just tried to hit the open pass and then help on the defensive end, along with staying out of everyones way. lol

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We lost 1-3 the last game I played. lol

You did a good job for just picking up the game. Your guy will get better as you play more and it will make it easier for you to do more.

11. KnightNoles

YOu lyin! haha

yea, progressed from 70 - 73 overall last night :) plus I'm a natural gamer haha :thumbsup:

12. Darlon

Darlon Walk On

Sorry about leaving at halftime in my last game. I could barely keep my eyes open during the game.

13. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

I have to say I didn't play great last night but we do have a couple of issues.

A defender should very rarely stray out of his own half because:

Getting caught to high up the pitch is the ultimate sin
    Also you cut down the amount of space for our forwards n mids to work their magic

Put it this way when we get 2 wingers, cam, striker through against 3 defenders we love it but then we handed that Xmas present to our opposition a few times

I was watching where our defenders were when we turned the ball over and a lot of the time the radar showed 1 or 2 guys back this puts far too much on the shoulders of Fecnik and the others. It is called a back LINE for a reason. A defenders job is to stop the attack lay the ball off n move up to the halfway line when were on the attack. Also on the occasion a back moves forward someone needs to drop back n fill his gap until he returns which meens he returns as soon as he has passed the ball.

I do think we have the basis for a good team but we need to play more together to understand how each other plays and get used to what each other does in certain circumstances. This will come in time.

We also have to bear in mind it doesn't make life easy when we can only hear certain players in the game chat, I meen I couldn't hear Drifter most of the night making it hard to organise things when were both defenders but that's a game thing.

I think depth as far as striker to defender is just as important as width because this can stretch our opponents if we play without depth n a little space they are all onto us so quick we get turned over to easily.

I also agree with Drifter on the accomplishment thing. You don't have to play for hours a few carefully planned kick off games can get you a few very useful ones and yes they do make a difference. Also some are easier to get controlling just your PRO but most are easier to get controlling the whole team.