Discussion on New Member Process

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Drifterbub, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    1. Drifterbub:
      The description pages and the description hub were supposed to act like this. But it requires too many people to keep too many things updated. And I don't have the time to do it
    2. 12 minutes ago - Shaun Mason:
      I gotta go for a few...stupid meeting.
    3. 12 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      Plus, Ryno wants more main page activity
    4. 12 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      This will direct more people there along with the articles I post hopefully
    5. 11 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      I still would like to keep the description pages integrated as I think they provide a lot of benefits outside of openings
    6. 11 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      namely forum organization. Since people don't understand what is and what isn't sticky material
    7. 11 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      heh ya, but thats beyond my realm
    8. 10 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      And yeah, we have been lacking front page stuff for a while. If you do articles, you are going to get hits there. I'm okay with the openings being done there as long as it doesn't require bouncing back and forth between the forums
    9. 10 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      Well, maybe not. IMO, you can't apply for a league opening unless you know what the league is about. And you don't know what the league is about without reading it's description thread
    10. 9 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      Well there may be a forum link to the page or a commish name to pm... We need to figure out a way to establish the newer guys an avenue of communcation to petition for the spot
    11. 9 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      Well they won't be able to post in the league forum unless their app is approved and account upgraded
    12. 9 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      But it could put everything together in one place and be a road-map of where someone can go if they want to join a league
    13. 8 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      would they be able to pm the commish?
    14. 8 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      yes
    15. 7 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      then maybe we can make that the avenue to apply...
    16. 7 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      yeah.
    17. 6 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      Maybe we can create a standard form that will PM the commish? Like they have to put the link to their new member app and explain why they would be a good member.
    18. 5 minutes ago - Drifterbub:
      because the commish will have to double back to their new member app to post that they are in anyway.
    19. 4 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      Thats a good idea. Like a click here for league application. They fill it out and put the commish name at the top...
    20. 3 minutes ago - Jmustang1968:
      Sounds like work for Shaun, but would be a more standardized system
    21. 3 minutes ago - Shaun Mason:
      Guys, I don't want to miss the good ideas, can you put this somewhere not in the chat box so I can read it when I am not at work?:)
    22. 1 minute ago - Drifterbub:
      I paste it into the forum down there.
    23. 1 minute ago - Jmustang1968:
      lol alright... let us go even longer and we will have another whole website for you design ;o)
    24. A moment ago - Keller:
      J - The Madden dev team does podcasts every now and again - I think thats worthy of posting. They've done 4 or 5 already if you want to go out and post them.
    25. A moment ago - Jmustang1968:
      Definitely
    26. A moment ago - Jmustang1968:
      Some of the stuff, I will go and find and get up there.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
  3. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

That basically sums up my thoughts. I really like Drifter's idea of the application form that PMs the commish. Though, for this to really work, the commissioners will have to do a good job of keeping their openings current and me a good job of updating it when they do... But I think, if these guys want to fill their positions, its easier to pm me with an opening than it is for them to scour the boards looking for replacements...

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Well, we are going to have to change some things for that to happen. That's one of our current issues, the commissioners post a thread in the NML about an opening, and then hope to get PM'd with candidates. They don't proactively seek new members and it ends in a lot of leagues having holes and new members not finding spots.

Whatever system we come up with it needs to be 110% visible to everyone and allow both new members and commishes to actively find each other. I guess the commishes could still dig through the NML. The openings listings you described would probably be more suited for NMs looking for spots.

I hope you know what this all entails, man. lol. We will try to limit the commish swapping and openings, but it gets absolutely butt nasty for the first 3-4 months. I remember one week where I opened up a league every day. Then when deflation hits and people drop out. Then when commishes have shit come up.

We will have to do a better job of preparing for it all. I think we are starting now by getting together a list of commishes who want to take on newbie leagues. We start getting into all kinds of pickles when we run out of those guys.

5. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

It is something I imagine I can keep up with on a daily or every 2 day basis at least. If they are waiting hourly updates on it, than that might be a bit unreasonable...

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I promise I will get to this eventually.

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    @Jmustang1968

You should be getting an email with a login for the WP site.

8. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ok thanks Shaun. I was hoping to put up another article or post this evening. Was spending time with the wife last night for anniversary heh

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Did you ever get an email?

10. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Email? No I didnt...

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Hold on a second, let me set you up a password. You can change it when you log in.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Alright.

Username: jmustang1968
    password: mustang

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ok thanks

14. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Shaun, I was able to get that login to work for traditionsports, could I also get access to traditionfootball? I will be, have been, posting up articles for both...

Any updates on thought process or ideas on how to implement the dynasty openings we had been discussing?

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    1) I just added a TF site password. I am not going to guarantee that site is completely functional, I didn't intend for it to be used, but that is up to Ryno and you.
    2) I haven't had time to think about the dynasty openings.

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

@Shaun Mason

Don't want to sound like a broken record or nag you to death, but a friendly reminder on this. Would love to get the system up and oil & greased so it is working smooth when we get our flood this summer...

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No worries J. I am starting to get my life back in order, post wife and all.

I tried hooking up my development machine but something happened to it during the move. I may have to figure out how to get a new laptop so I can start working on some of these things. I have been using my work computer for internet, but I won't develop for personal use on the work laptop, because of software agreements I have in place with my employer...basically if I write code on this laptop, it is property of Honda.

18. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

ah ok. Ya goodluck with the wife thing. I havent been there so dont really know what its like. But I imagine activities like these could atleast take your mind off things while the feelings are still a bit raw.

Just let me know when you get around to it and I will try to give my feedback and/or ideas for it

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    The problem now is I am staying with family and I have no privacy...it is hard as hell to get into work with everyone screaming and running around.:)

That's why I am thinking about a new laptop that I can load with my development tools...then I can find a place with WiFi to work.

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I should have started a collection to buy me a new laptop, haha.