Discussion points for season 2

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Discussion points for season 2

Please post here any issues/concerns you have with the rules used in season 1 or any changes you would like to see implemented for season 2.

Here are 3 items that I'll open the discussion with:

1. 4 regular season user games - I'm going to try and start working on the schedules this weekend so I don't hold up advancing to the regular season. It is possible that in order to ensure that everyone has at least 4 regular season user games, that some individuals might need to have 5 regular season user games (due to the unbalanced schedules in the Big 12 and SEC). If I could get some volunteers who would be willing to pony up and accept an extra game it would be helpful. There will be a separate schedule thread for requests for out of conference user games.

2. Sliders - I would like to change our sliders to a set posted in response to Drifter's thread about blocking logic in the 'Coaches Lounge' forum. I will post them in this thread tonight. I've tried them out and really like them, but if any are vehemently opposed I want to hear them out.

3. Pass commit/gameplanning - I'm seriously considering outlawing the use of pass commit and aggressive/conservative gameplanning, after talking to some commishes of TF dynasties that don't allow them and feel that it really improves both the CPU game play and user games. Again, I want to hear opinions on this.

OK - let's hear some opinions and any other ideas/suggestions are encouraged.

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I'm onboard with all of these except the banning of conservative gameplanning. The reason, coach Noles can user strip like Candy from the club.

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Yes, keep the conservative features.

It doesn't matter I'll still get that ball!

4. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

I say leave pass commit.

5. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

1. I don't care if I have 5 games, as long as I don't get a Murderer's Row of users.

2. I remember seeing the sliders, but could you post them here so I can try them out.

3. I don't mind banning pass commit, it has very little negative consequences, as you can still stuff the run just as well with pass commit or no pass commit. If it's not already, aggressive D should be banned. It is over-powered and has basically no negatives to using it. I say allow all conservative game planning.

6. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

1. I don't care if I have 5 games, as long as I don't get a Murderer's Row of users.

2. I remember seeing the sliders, but could you post them here so I can try them out.

3. I don't mind banning pass commit, it has very little negative consequences, as you can still stuff the run just as well with pass commit or no pass commit. If it's not already, aggressive D-line should be banned. It is over-powered and has basically no negatives to using it. I say allow all conservative game planning.

7. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

I'll take 5 user games. They are more fun anyway.

Im all for those sliders, Dru. I like 'em as well.

Banning all aggressive D is a good thing. I'd be for keeping the conservative game planning.

8. Dru50

Thanks for the input guys.

Regarding conservative game planning - I'm fine with leaving that in, although I've heard the argument that excessive fumbles come because people tend to try and break all tackles and never use the RB button to cover the ball. Just something to think about.

Regarding pass commit - I'm really with Hippo on this, there is very little downside to using the pass commit feature as teams can still easily stuff the run while using it on every play. Combine this with the confusion of whether someone is outright pass committing (which is not allowed already) or keying a WR and it's just not worth the trouble to me. I had at least 3 users contact me regarding whether strategy points popping up in user games meant key the WR or pass commit. I'd rather not have the questions at all. I'm going to have to hear some pretty persuasive arguments regarding why keeping it in is within the spirits of sim gameplay to change my mind.

Another point for discussion - recruiting restrictions. Does everyone want to stick with the 'free for all' we used last year? I personally am a fan of some sort of restrictions on recruits, if only to balance out that some talent goes to the CPU teams.

9. GoGators

Keep recruiting simple.

70 players max so we sim cuts and if you really want to limit 5 stars (it has no effect on my poor Bearcats team) limit them to 4 or 5 per team.

10. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Just make the limit on 5 stars equal to what prestige you have........5 star team means 5 5 star players.

I think the sliders you're referring to are the ones we're testing in the Rivalry. In week 1 we all had CPU games and everyone blew out the cpu by like 40 points. It makes running the ball easier and makes pass coverage a lot tougher.

11. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

If I turn off my "points" is there anyway to tell if I am using pass committe or not? If the answer to that is no there is no way to police this.

12. Dru50

So far based on what I'm hearing, the prevailing opinion is:

1. Ban pass commit
    2. Ban aggressive gameplan options, but allow conservative
    3. Leave recruiting as is

I still want to hear from the other owners who haven't chimed in yet (recchem, hokie, beazus, max, marcman and any others I can't think of off the top of my head) before any final decisions are made.

13. Dru50

My understanding is that there is no way to 'unsign up' for season showdown once you've picked a favorite team in the system. If you aren't signed up it's pretty easy to see because you accumulate no points at all.

Aside from that, the opinion of most in TF is that all users should be signed up for season showdown to make sure that issues like this can be policed. To be honest, the fact that you're thinking down that road is a bit disconcerting.

EDIT - I want to clarify that last sentence. What I mean is that if I'm understanding your post, you are saying that even if we ban pass commit you would/could 'turn off' your season showdown and use it anyway. If I'm misinterpreting what you mean, I apologize, but that is the tone I'm getting. Just because something is difficult to police doesn't mean you should still use it. In that case I would expect people to respect your opponent and not use it.

14. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I have never even messed with any of the conservative/aggressive game plans. I always just leave them as is. I also have never messed with pass commit either. Im fine with banning them all together just to keep everyone on the same playing field.

As far as recruiting goes, Im with Gators on this. Restrict the 5 stars to 4 or 5 and thats it. Keep it simple.

15. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

I don't mind a 5 star cap, but let's just keep it simple. I'm fine with everything else. I don't think the pass commit is a problem. To be honest, we should be able to use run commit on goal line defenses.

16. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

Dru, i think what he means is that if one person can have it on, and the other off, then there is no fair way to police it.

17. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I say we ban everything lol. I dont think any of the strategy things (aggressive or conservative) function in a very "sim" way, and it'd be easier to just ban it all.

Id be in favor of some sort of recruiting cap. at least until I get USF's prestige and pitches up to snuff hahaha

18. GoGators

Capping 5 stars at 4 or 5 is realistic. If you go to rivals and look at the classes for the past 5 years, the most any school ever signed I believe was 6 and that was USC one time. Other than that, the best class of 5 stars is usually 4 or 5 tops. The 10 that UF signed in the game this year is really unrealistic.

19. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

Right. What I am trying to say is if there is no way to police something how can it be banned?

20. Dru50

There is a real simple way to police it. I believe everyone in the league is signed up for season showdown (or at least everyone I have played is - which is most of you). If you aren't signed up, you should be, there have been multiple discussions in the Locker Room and League Commissioner forum stating that TF leadership believes that all users should be signed up for it in order to allow commissioners and members of OD's to monitor that any banned game features are not being abused.

So basically, if you aren't signed up for season showdown, I'm going to have to assume you are not due to the fact that you want to skirt the rules. That won't be good for anyone.

In order to make it clear - everyone must besigned up for season showdown. If you aren't, fess up now and sign up before next season. I'm going to add this to the league rules to be clear, but to be honest it never occurred to me that this would become an issue.

Case closed.

On the topic of pass commit - there are two people in favor of keeping it, but I still haven't heard a reason why it should stay other than you want it in.

Marcman - run commit is banned TF-wide to my knowledge and that isn't changing, even on the goal line.

21. Dru50

22. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Pass/Run Commit: Banned
    Aggressive Gameplan: Banned and keep conservative features

Sliders: IDC just make em challenging