Discussion: Rules, Gameplay, Ect.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Emmdotfrisk, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Discussion: Rules, Gameplay, Ect.

Alright guys I want to start hearing your thoughts on this Online League. We should discuss topics such as difficulty level, season length, advancing, rosters, sliders, and ect.

As for player salaries and Team Salary Cap's those will be in effect and we are working on determining those values.

Once the game is released we will get a feel for the game and plan on launching TBL between March 12th-15th. During the wait period we will be finalizing gameplay rules, the salary cap and free agent system, team selection, evaluating if we need to wait for a patch and/or correct rosters.

If you have something on your mind regarding the game and plan for this league now is the time to bring it up.

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

This will be my first time ever playing against other people in a baseball game, offline included. So my opinion probably won't matter.

3. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Definately i would say no more than 81 games for season length. Otherwise with as many people in the league you will never really finish a full season.

Salary cap now that will be a hard one. i would say that you take the top team salary and add an extra million or tow and say u cant go over that. The problem is not sure what the finances is going to play a part in the game. Since the the teams with no revenue may have to stay below a certain amount otherwise the team goes red. Not sure if this is going to take and be part of the game or not.

Level of play will probably have to wait for sure till u get in the game and play a few online. Along with sliders.

Advancing i would play that by ear for the first couple weeks and go from there. i think 48 hour rule during week and 72 during weekend might be best since it takes about an hour to play a full game.

I would have some kind of rule about garbage pitching. Be realistic and throw some strikes. Played last year and had a game last 2 1/2 hours because he wouldn't throw strikes at all. Yes throwing balls is part of the game but not every pitch.

Will be playing a few games online right when i get the game so feel free to add me on psn to play some practice games. So frisk controller look me up and when can figure some things out with the online play and go from there if u want

4. blocker7

blocker7 Walk On

For season length 54 works out pretty well. It is 1/3 of a season so you can multiply your stats by 3 at the end of the season to get an idea how well your guys performed. If we are using their online leagues I guess this doesn't matter but if we are doing our own leagues then you move the brewers back to the AL and play one 3 game series against each team in your league so 14x3=42 and then 3 more games against the team in your divisions 3x4=12 so it comes out to 54.

This may be a bit knew to some of you guys but the most realistic settings for pitching is turning vibration, cursor, and strike zone off. None of these things are a part of real baseball. You shouldn't automatically know where the corners are and it makes it extremely realistic on 3-0 3-1 3-2 counts because you don't want to lose the guy but you don't want to hang one either. It really makes you rely on pitch selection since with vibration you can hit corners all day with a 4seamer and not give up too many runs.

To decide game difficulty make a "Official Spring Training Thread" or where people from our league scrimmage and then report the difficulty, settings, and a box score with some stats. From there we do our best to tweak settings to achieve the most realistic stats and then run with it. We definitely need to restrict innings such as closers can only pitch 3 innings a series, other pen pitchers can toss 5 innings max, and starts can only toss every 4th game or whatever we decide on that. We used to do a four man rotation using the 5th guy every other series so we could get more innings with the better pitchers and kind of level the playing feel for teams with deeper rotations but i think 5th man is crucial so i was never a big fan of that rule.

Run bases and use hit and run realistically. This is hard to explain but some of you guys know what im talking about when a guy rounds first like he is going to seconds and turns back to bait the guy to throw to first from left field and then take off to second again once the guy throws it to first to steal a base. I realize sometimes this happens on accident but don't try to exploit the game in anyway.

Thats all I can think of for now.

5. blocker7

blocker7 Walk On

I am completely with you on junking, especially online where there is a bit of lag. This is what is so great about no zone, no vibration, no cursor, because when the junkers get behind, they will be more prone to zoning pitches to not lose the batter. It keeps pitch counts realistic and really adds to the guessing game that is a huge part of major league baseball with the goal being getting ahead in the count and sitting on that 4 seemer down the pipe.

6. blocker7

blocker7 Walk On

I don't know if this community is strictly online leagues through the game but we should consider using leaguedaddy just because it helps with the fluidity of the league. Instead of chipping away one game at a time we can open 1 or 2 series a week and if someone goes on vacation or can't play for some reason the game can be made up. Plus it's great to have articles and such

7. Emmdotfrisk

It would be extremely difficult even to finish a 81 season season. Realistically we may be looking at 1 third of a season or possibly less.

Finances, salaries, and cap will not be apart of Online League but it will be in TBL. It is important that we put together a league that is as sim as possible. Currently myself and drifter are brainstorming and putting together a system to determine individual and team salary's/cap.

I agree. A part of me wants to put it at HOF because that's what I have enjoyed the previous two releases. We will come to a agreement throughout the rest of the league. As for sliders they are usually dependent on the individual owner but as a league it will take some serious testing in the lab.

Advances will be difficult. In last year's release an online match took between 45-60 mins for a game with two solid owners. This is somewhat comparable to NCAA dynasties which operate on a 72 hour on TF. Now what makes it difficult is we will have 30 user teams and somewhere around 10-15 games every advance.

There will most definitely be rules against "unsim" play. If you check the Owner's list at the bottom are a few settings which are up for discussion and some that are not. No strike zone, hot zones, and vibration fall under those which are not to be discussed and will be "off."

8. Emmdotfrisk

54 games may be the case but even that seems like too many. As far as changing positioning of teams I am not a huge fan because it is unrealistic.

All these settings which you have touched on will be off and we agree because they are unrealistic.

I really like the idea of a Spring Training Thread. That will help us here in the first couple weeks get a feel for the game and settings. I will talk with the other commissioners about this.

Don't worry we will be putting together a "baseball for dummies" guide in regards to pitchers, rotations, ect. It will outline the do's and dont's and will have strict rulings to prevent things such as what you have mentioned.

These things do exploit the game and they will not be tolerated without warning. Basically if someone can't or doesn't know how to play the game sim and realistically they will get the boot.

9. Emmdotfrisk

As for as this site almost every league is operated through the game. I personally prefer the one game at a time because it is consistent with real life as much as we can be. If someone is on vacation or cannot play for any reason there is a great chance their game will get simulated or set to autopilot (CPU). Sure this sucks but it helps the fluidity of the game. With the advance schedule we put together it will ensure ample time for every game to get played. As far as articles, scouting reports, summaries, teams news, ect. they will be required to some extent. The commissioners will be discussing this more in depth in the near future.

10. Emmdotfrisk

I would like to do a Top 10 plays of the day and/or week. With the new "Highlight Reel" system The Show has this will be possible. Read more about it HERE

11. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I think the rounding 1st thing is realistic. if your dumb enough to throw to 1st from left field thats your fault... we learn in little league to not throw behind the runner...

12. blocker7

blocker7 Walk On

That was a bad example but people always try to exploit the base running system. The same argument can be made for junking pitches as you should be smarter than swinging at balls thrown at your head which is common sense in real life but often seen in video games. Why not strive for complete realism. I have never seen a human being change directions two times as fast as the players in MLB the show.

The top 10 play idea would be awesome by the way. I think the best way to do this is appoint 5 or so active and respected owners, or I guess even 1 or 2 would work, to rank the top 10 videos so the entire league doesn't see the clips before they are released. I think the same dudes should do a top 10 poll just because everyone loves validation. Another fun thing we did in past MLB leagues was vote for allstars and then save the rosters offline, then have the 2 coaches with the best record at mid season play a game with the allstar teams to see who gets home field advantage. I'm guessing we will already have some sort of awards for rookie of the year, cy young, mvp, and so on.

13. Emmdotfrisk

I agree, there are some things that will be a given. Things that you know you shouldn't do because you would never see it in a game and by doing so in this league you will be taking advantage of the flaws in the game.

Blocker I think you underestimate us as a community. Take a look around at other leagues and see what type of stuff we put together. I think you will find it very interesting. As for this league our aim is to put together the bet league on the net. Just by looking at the roster I can see we are composed by a ton of very legit owners, as well as our leadership will be headed by administrators and moderators of the entire site. I think you will be impressed with the stuff we come up with. Your suggestions are good ones and we will all be discussing how great we can make this league. Keep your ideas coming!

14. NDCOLTS1979

Yeah i plan on using the highlight reel alot. will be trying alot of things out after i get the game at midnight tonight

15. Emmdotfrisk

Alright guys I am going through the Online League setup and it is just that. Online League is not to be confused with a Online Franchise like Madden. Basically here are the options we can choose...

Division Type: Divisional or Round Robin
    * Division is setup with National and American League while Round Robin is one division with everyone in it.

Max Teams: 6-30
    * This is max User teams. There cannot be CPU controlled teams, which sucks.

Playoff Teams: 2-8
    * We can choose how many teams go to the playoffs

Games Per Series: 1-5
    * This counts for season games and playoffs

Series Divison Opponent: 1-3
    * We can manually adjust how many "series" each team plays someone in their division

Series Non-Divisonal Opponent: 1-3
    * We can also choose how many "series" each team will play teams outside of their division

Series Duration (Days): 1-3
    * This will be the number of days teams will have to complete each series.

Everything is settings that we will be discussing later.

16. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Good stuff E - I just picked up the game and will be doing the same as well. I'll add you on AIM/ICQ (I'll show up as either magsru99 or 2138045) and we can compare notes.

17. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Looking at the way it is set up and from talking with GUnit...Im a bit worried about there possibly being no season progression...as in no season 1, then season 2 and so on. Id throw out there the idea of if that is the case, every new season we automatically adjust rosters acording to trades. However, if there is a trade limit in place in the game that fucks that up, and keeping track of all the trades and roster changes could be a challenge...

18. Emmdotfrisk

There will not be any progression. I plan on keeping a capbook similar to Win's in OMFL. Drifter is working on a "player salary generator" which will aid us on a players net worth. Also we want to incorporate player contracts and team caps. As far as trades and FA, CA wants to limit them. 2-3 trades a year (including offseason) and the Free Agent pickups limit is undecided at this point.

19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I like the way this sounds muh fuckas....if ya'll need help with any "Co-Commish" like duties lemme know...

20. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Yeah like Frisk said, the plan is to try and make this as realistic as possible in terms of FA, Contracts and Salary Caps (minus player progression and rookie drafts)..

Unfortunately, since we can't start a league for 14 days + 10 online games or whatever the case is, its going to take some time to figure out the logistics since we can't even "practice" an online league setup yet to figure out its worth

21. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Excuses, Excuses Hackie Sackie.

22. NDCOLTS1979

Ill have 10 games played tonight

23. NDCOLTS1979

If anyone wants a game look me up im online and will be most of the day

24. NDCOLTS1979

25. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

NDColts>

Nice pic.

If I am not on your friends list, add me. I'm looking to play but won't be home till at latest 5pm central.