Divisional Playoffs: Jags 26, Raiders 24

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Divisional Playoffs: Jags 26, Raiders 24

Green Machine Rides Defense to Thrilling Victory

[​IMG]

July 19, 2010

By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

JACKSONVILLE, FL- On the Jacksonville sideline players and coaches knew that it was slipping away.

The Jaguars were down by seven in the second half, and the Raiders defense were making their star studded offense look ordinary. Brees was throwing interceptions, Steve Smith was the ony receiver getting open albeit not very often, and Maurice Jones-Drew couldn't find any running lanes. Down by seven, facing the most explosive offense in the OMFL. Things didn't look good.

It would be up to the Jaguars 'Green Machine' defense, a unit led by defensive player of the year Antonio Cromartie, to the keep the game close and hope their offense would bring them back. Or maybe, just maybe, the defense itself could take the game over.

Let's rewind to the opening quarter when it looked like the Jaguars looked like that explosive offense their fans are accustomed to: Opening kickoff, check; Two long pass plays to Steve Smith, check; Easy five play touchdown drive, check. Jacksonville was quickly up 7-0 and their lauded defense would come on the field.

However, the Raiders would start to flex their offensive muscle. On their fist offensive play of the game Kurt Warner would find receiver Chaz Shilens on a play action pass for 67 yards. Three plays later Waner would find Higgins in the back of the endzone to get Oakland even after the extra point.

The Raider defense would then start to settle in, pressuring Brees in the pocket and forcing him into a bad throw which was picked off by cornerback Tracy Porter. Another quick drive by their offense, this time five yards, was capped off by another Warner touchdown pass and the Raiders were rolling. The two unanswered scored made it 14-7 at the end of the first quarter.

Coach Dunlap wouldn't panic with his offensive playcalling. On the next drive he mixed in some short easy completions with some Jones-Drew runs to march his team downfield, and would cap it off by hitting tight end Kevin Boss on a six yard touchdown pass. The 12 play, 89 yard drive would tie the game at 14.

The Jaguar defense would then find its stride that they would never lose for the rest of the game. On the second play of the Raiders' ensuing drive, reserve cornerback Dwight Carey intercepted a Warner pass to set the offense up deep in Oakland territory at the 26 yard line. However two sacks of Brees would mean Jacksonville would settle for a field goal to go up 17-14 late in the second.

The Raiders would answer back with a time chewing drive of their own, but would have to settle for a field goal. Heading into the halftime locker rooms nothing at all was decided, with a 17-17 tie between these two AFC juggernaughts.

"Our guys were a bit nervous in that first half, especially on defense," said Dunlap. "What I stressed to them at halftime was to stay within themselves in the second half. I told them that the Raiders were too good to be held down forever, but if they trusted the system and played solid fundamental football they would be fine."

It didn't look that way during the opening drive of the second half, when Warner and Co. sliced and diced the Jaguar defense all the way into the end zone with his third touchdown pass.

All of the sudden the air was sucked out of the Stadium. They had to watch the Jaguar offense trudge back out onto the field now facing what seemed like a huge deficit with the Oakland defense playing lights out. Things weren't looking good. The fans knew it, and so did Coach Dunlap.

"We definately weren't in a good position. I was running out of ideas offensively. Everything we tried wasn't working. Very frustrating."

The Jaguars would get a little steam on offense. They would run a methodical 16 play drive that included a big fourth down conversion. However they would run out of gas inside the ten, with Brees yet again the victim of a relentless passrush. Not only would they settle for another field goal, they would burn up all three of their timeouts in the process, and the long drive ate up nearly five minutes of clock.

So now the Jaguars still trailed by four points with eight mintues to play, the hot Oakland offense was coming back on to the field, and Jacksonville was out of timeouts should the game be close in the final stages. The hopes for an AFC Championship game appearance rested on the shoulders of their tired defense. The secondary that had been so lauded during the season had been burned for three touchdown passes and the front seven were getting no pressure on Warner. Things looked bleak at best.

However the defense would begin a two series stretch where the Jaguars' safeties would save the teams' season. Safety Eric Weddle would knock the ball out of Oakland running back Smith and fall of it for a huge turnover. After the offense managed just a field goal, the defense would need another big stop to give their offense one last try. They would get it. Safety Patrick Chung would step in front of a Warner pass to intercept it near midfield.

"I just read the play, and I knew their slot receiver would come over the middle," said Chung. Kelly (Jennings) would give the receiver a little bump and the ball was thrown right to me. Luckily I made the catch to get our offense back on the field."

The offense would get conservative this time, and two Maurice Jones-Drew runs would set up an important third down. After seeing the Raiders run a zone on most third down plays, they would dial up a screen pass to Jones-Drew and he would break a tackle and get the first down. They would get another first down and four plays later would be in a third down situation again. They could play it safe and kick the field goal, but that would give the Raiders a lot of time on the clock. Instead they came out with a short slant pattern called but Brees would audible.

"We had a slant play called, but again we saw the Raiders in that 4-4 looking zone, I think the same play we had saw on most of our third downs. I audibled to a screen again and MJD did the rest," said Brees.

The catch and run would give the Jaguars a first down, and the ability to run down the clock. Justin Price would kick the game winning field goal with :15 seconds left to send Jacksonville to the AFC Championship game.

The epic game is sure to be remembered by fans of both teams for generations to come, and both coaches shared a long conversation afterwards near midfield. Chung, one of the heores of this game, will now head to Foxborough where he will face his old team, the New England Patriots for the right to play in the OMFL Bowl.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

TEAM STATS

Jaguars
    Total Offense: 315
    Passing: 246
    Rushing: 69
    3rd Down: 4/10
    Turnovers: 2
    Time of Possession: 19:08

Raiders
    Total Offense: 284
    Passing: 252
    Rushing: 32
    3rd Down: 5/8
    Turnovers: 4
    Time of Possession: 12:52

PLAYER STATS

Jaguars
    D. Brees- 20/28, 261 yds, 3 INT, 2 INT
    M. Jones-Drew- 13 att, 8 rec, 192 yds
    S. Smith- 6 rec, 122 yds, 1 TD

Raiders
    K. Warner- 20/27, 252 yds, 2 TD, 3 INT
    C. Shilens- 4 rec, 108 yds
    D. Heyward-Bey- 6 rec, 41 yds

2. joseph201105

joseph201105 OMFL- Oakland Raiders

Should have gotten the ball back with at worst 1:20 left in the game. Jags ran a play at the 2:41 mark then ran it all the way down to the 2 minute warning and I still had 1 timeout reaming. so it is what it is I made mistakes and the jags capitalized. GG dunlap

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

Before you start calling people out Joe, you should read the rulebook to make sure you are correct and don't make a butt out of yourself....like you are doing here. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 - Playclock
    Offensively, it is a team's prerogative to run the play clock down in the 2nd quarter 4th quarter if they are up once inside of three minutes. Once inside of three minutes the team can run the clock all the way down to zero before snapping.

This is not real life where we have 15 min quarters, so get your play called and lets play ball. If you are winning in the last 3 mins of a game, then run it down if you want. Other than that pick a play and play ball. Now, as it happens, sometimes you cant decide on a play to run. Having the playclock run down from time to time will happen, but just don't do it all game long. (shouldn't be a issue with 99% of the ppl who play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have studied the rulebook and know them inside and out by heart. Now am I a perfect sim player who never does anything wrong...no of course not. But these straightforward rules like this I can tell you I never break.

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Ya, I heard about the FG offside stuff, pretty shady. Hopefully it won't ruin an epic game.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Any issues are to be handled through proper channels and not here.

Game recaps ONLY.

6. joseph201105

joseph201105 OMFL- Oakland Raiders

WOW 8 of 20 comp to RB and 6 screens 2 on the same drive within 3 plays and how about that turbo with the QB. The rulebook has always been 2 minutes and now its three very interesting

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

Thats funny Joe because I dont have permission to edit the rulebook so unless Nate and Jeremy are in some massive conspiracy that I don't know about. . .?

Also I never ran six screens....you forget there were people watching the game ;)

8. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

This has gone far enough.

joseph please find me on AIM and we can resolve your accusation.