Do you think Cutler quit?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by JerzeyReign, Jan 26, 2011.

?

Do you think Cutler quit?

1. Yes. Once a punk, always a punk! He didn't even look interested. Crucify him!!

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No. Never question a person's heart. Only Jake Cutler knows how Jake Cutler feels.

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

This has been the talk all week. What do you guys think? Was their something else that made us 'disapprove' of his attitude/behavior he displayed on Sunday?

2. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

Yup he quit for sure

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah, I think he was afraid more than anything. I had the same type of injury and I know how that feels. I know he's a 'well conditioned' athlete but I'm pretty sure an injury like that is felt regardless of physical shape. I still feel it to this day. No way in hell I could ride a bike let alone stand the hell up bearing weight. But I hate his selfishness more. To not even help his 'backups' is wrong. He didn't conduct himself as a leader at all and he may have loss some of his teammates. If he wanted to go back in he would have went back in. People are fighting for a right to go to the Super Bowl, I doubt anyone said 'No Jake, you can't go back in because their MIGHT be some shit wrong with you'. Not at that point in the season. He was afraid.

His heart wasn't in it. If he was in Philly he would of been dead by now... and that's not a figure of speech, we would honestly kill him. One thing that is never acceptable is quitting on the football field. Not now, not ever.

That will go down in Bear's history.

4. justadude

justadude Walk On

I got the feeling that the magnitude of the game overwhelmed him, which is to say he was scared and after a slow start he lost his nerve. I agree with the sentiment that if he had at least remained involved mentally in the game it would have come across better. Of course, its all speculation, but Cutler's body language and demeanor has always been such that he seemed uninterested.

Also, his name is Jay :)

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

He quit on his team and organization. Phillip Rivers played during the playoffs on a torn ACL. Drew Brees played this season for 6 weeks on a partially torn MCL.

The Bear whiffed on this guy.

6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I think he hurt his mcl and the coaching staff held him out.

I have no reason to believe otherwise.

That being said there are alot of QB's out there that would have gotten their ass back on the field one way or another.

So is he kind of a punk? Yes I think so, but if the coaching staff told him he was done and he accepted that then I think it's hard to say he quit...maybe didn't fight as hard as he should have.

Rivers is the fucking man for playing on a torn acl though....that's brass.

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

If Lovie Smith or any of the medical staff held him out because of a sprain they should be fired...... upon in the face with a 240B, period.

8. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

So Trent Dilfer was on ESPN just killing Cutler for not going back in the game. When Dilfer was in Seattle, he had the same injury that Cutler had and missed the next 4 games. Maybe he could have gone in, maybe not. But I love the hipocracy going on in the media.

9. Bondzai

He had a grade 2 sprain, which is a partial tear.

10. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Cutler is and always will be a pud.

Ronnie Lott had his pinky amputated to play in the Superbowl. Cutler couldn't deal with some pain in his knee? Dude you're a QB not a RB. Byron Leftwich had his teammates carry him in college when he couldn't move around and the game was on the line. Cutler sucked and he needed an excuse to come out of the game. He's a joke.

11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Especially since the coaching staff came out and said that they agreed with the medical staff's assessment that he couldn't play. Cutler tried to go back in for the start of the 2nd half. Anyone remember that?

I think everyone needs to get off this guy's nuts. No one knows if he could have played except for him and the medical staff who evaluated him, and we all know what they thought.

ligament tears in knees are finicky things. I had a buddy who tore his MCL in high school and could do everything up to a light job (couldn't cut). People want to take shots at his toughness because he was standing on the sideline, which some people can do with those injuries. A torn MCL/ACL/PCL in one person is not ever the same injury in the next person.

To me, the media just wants something to talk about and they are doing so at Cutler's expense. Speculate what you want about the guy and the injury but you are all doing just that, speculating. When really, no one knows what the hell they are talking about. The guy is an NFL QB. He's already tough.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Ya he tried to go back in and couldn't do it after he was told he could not go back in. Fox did a terrible job of covering the injury and the bears organization did an even worse job afterwords. Cutler is a Dbag and always has that pissface look so hes an easy target.

The more important story is how shitty Cutler played in the 1st half, not the injury. He is not a big time QB

13. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I'm a medic in the Army and have some medical background. I'm not a doctor but I've dealt with these a time or two (with a doc who has a degree in sports medicine, something I'm striving for at the moment:)). A grade 2 knee sprain of the MCL will only be braced and iced. That's it. No surgery needed. I didn't see either of those applied Sunday.

14. Hova

Doesn't a tear require surgery?

15. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Now I haven't read much of what was said above, but I voted YES!

I think the "injury" during the game was more of a "cover-up" for the coaching staff to pull and bench him because he did in fact lose interest and was playing like he belonged on the bench. In my opinion, both losing sidelines, the Jets and Bears, really affected their teams outcomes. Play calling for the Jets on the goalline was horrendous, and the QB debacle finished off the Bears....just goes to show you that the team on the field isn't what necessarily needs to be good....need a staff....

16. Hova

If the bears really did "coverup" the injury you would think they would be getting rid of this guy asap.... even though they did invest ALOT to get him

17. Bondzai

I'm not a doctor, nor do I know shit about MCL sprains. I just heard Mike and Mike say that a grade 2 sprain is a partial tear and a grade 3 is a complete tear. I mean, if Mike and Mike said it then it's obviously true. :)

18. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

I've tried to stay out of this... I won't hide the fact I have some bias because I am a huge Bears fan.

I played varsity rugby [I only say this because I've heard to many critics of Cutler say "if you played the game you would understand].

Drifter is exactly right about trying to compare injury to injury. I can't say that Cutler did everything he could to play, I don't know. But how can people say that he could have played because others have played with an injured MCL [and others, like Dilfer, have not]

I tore both my ACL's at separate times. Both times I couldn't even stand, literally my knee would not hold up [granted on one I tore 3 ligaments]. I can't even fathom how Rivers played on a torn ACL [there are different degrees, he did come out of that game and then played like sh*t the next game] there is no way on earth, regardless of my will, that I could have played any sport for the next couple weeks. We both apparently had ACL tears.

They are piling on Cutler because he has a bad rep and it is easy to perpetuate the storyline - his expressions aren't to people's taste and that isnt going to change and isn't anything new - it is separate from the injury.

There is too much tendancy to hear and then repeat as gospel without critical analysis.

[here comes the rant]

For example - Aaron Rodgers [who is a very good QB] did not have the game people expected. He had the same kind of game that he had all three times he played the Bears this year - two touchdowns or less, which is not consistent with his domination of other teams... you get all this talk of how unstoppable the Green Bay offense is, well, not against the Bears apparently [3x this year]. But you don't hear anyone analyze that - no - you hear Joe Buck and Aikman and EVERYONE on t.v. say that Rodgers had an "off" game [all 3x? really? 2 of those games being the biggest games of the Packers' seasons?] Rodgers was just "off". On the other hand the Bears offense [who faired no better in any of the 3 games] was being thwarted by the genius of Dom Capers...

Sorry to go off on the tangent, but its related to the constant way that the media just takes the ready made storyline and runs with it and few commentators or experts actually critically think.

Wow - this post is way too long... sorry

19. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    No. I had a grade II tear in my hamstring last Feb that still bothers me today. Grade II is the step right below requiring surgery. Grade IIs will naturally heal correctly most of the time.

20. Bondzai

This same thing happened a couple years ago when Ladanian Tomlinson didn't come back into a playoff (i think?) game and sat on the bench with his helmet on. The backlash wasn't quite as bad and didn't last as long though because everyone seems to hate Cutler.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I voted no. I have some experience with knee injuries (actually, I have a lot of experience with them) and I know that sometimes a major injury feels like a minor one, at least for a while, and sometimes an injury that will heal stops you right in your tracks at the moment.

Whether he played or not is much less important than his demeanor on the sidelines. I have no issue with him not playing, but his lack of involvement in the game while on the sidelines confirms what most people already know - Cutler is just a bad guy, and a bad teammate.

22. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

+1

This is getting so much press because Cutler is pretty much the most hated man in the NFL, both by the fans and apparently by his fellow players. If this exact same situation happened to Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady (or hell, any number of other QB's) it wouldn't have elicited this kind of reaction.

Point in fact #1 - Phillip Rivers played on a torn ligament in 2008. The week he injured the knee, he came out of the game and Billy Volek played in relief, helping lead the Chargers to a win. Rivers had the knee scoped during the week and played the next week, which was a surprise. No question, the dude is a warrior, but comparing that situation to the Cutler one is apples to oranges.

Point in fact #2 - Tom Brady injured his knee in a similar fashion in an AFC conference championship game vs the Steelers during the Patriots first Superbowl run in 2001. He didn't play the 2nd half, and was replaced by Drew Bledsoe, who helped the team get the win. Brady evidently wasn't injured too severely, since he played in the Superbowl two weeks later.

I will say that I reacted much like many here and many in the media at first when I saw Cutler standing on the sidelines during the 2nd half. 'What - he's healthy enough to stand there? Get your ass in the game you wuss!' After doing some research on the injury (as mentioned, it is a Grade II MCL sprain - which qualifies as a tear), and hearing numerous reports out of Chicago on what happened during the game, I'm inclined to give Cutler the benefit of the doubt here. According to the team doctors, Cutler was diagnosed with the knee injury at halftime, at which point the coaches determined that Todd Collins would start the 2nd half. Cutler requested a chance to give it a go on the injured knee, and it was determined that he couldn't plant properly and throw the ball (which may indicate why his two attempts in the 3rd were so far off target - even for him). Additionally, several doctors not related to the Bears (including the team doctor for the LA Dodgers, who used to serve as the team doctor for the Rams) have come out saying that the MCL injury Cutler is diagnosed would allow someone to stand/walk without issue, but trying to run/cut/plant on it would be difficult if not impossible to do. Even "tough guy" Trent Dilfer was on Chicago radio saying that you can play through a grade I MCL sprain, but not a grade III MCL sprain. He didn't know about a grade II sprain, but still felt it appropriate to question another player's toughness about not playing through an injury he knew nothing about.

People can say what they want about Cutler not being a good big-game QB. He hasn't proven that he is. Fair jab, and I agree with it. His mechanics are awful, his attitude stinks, but to question the guys toughness and willingness to take punishment is kind of ridiculous. This is a guy who got his butt kicked playing 4 years at Vanderbilt, got hit a ton while playing in Denver, and got sacked/hit more than any other QB in the league this season behind what is the worst offensive line I've ever seen at an NFL level. He also played during a season where he lost 30lbs because nobody knew (including him) that he was diabetic. With all of this, the guy has missed one game in his career, this season due to concussion (following the game vs the Giants when he got sacked 9 times in a half). Additionally, he has never once thrown any of his offensive linemen under the bus for the lack of protection he receives week to week on the Bears.

Jay's attitude and his general unwillingness to open up to the media/fans/players has caused the perception which has led to this vitriolic response by everyone to this issue. That's on him, but I find it humerous how many of us (including me - looking back at my reaction Sunday night) are willing to say that he's a wimp and gave up. I guarantee to all of you that if any of us were subjected to the punishment that Cutler has dealt with this year, you wouldn't have even been playing in the NFC conference championship game, you'd be home nursing some 'boo-boos' of your own.

And yes, I am a Bears fan, always have been, always will be. I'll leave it at this. Dan Hampton and Steve McMichael - two of the toughest SOB's to ever play in the NFL, both had no issue with the Cutler injury or him missing the 2nd half. I'll take their opinions over a guy like Deion Sanders, who never met a tackle he couldn't avoid making.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I already thought he was a douche and a half, this last game's events have not influenced my opinion in any way however. Everybody has a different pain tolerance and even two partial tears could likely feel very different. Add to it that it was extremely cold weather and I guess I Just don't feel like crucifying him for this one, I'll stand on the fact I already thought he was a d-bag long before this.

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I have to disagree with this. I don't think it's the same. With one position you're talking about an absolute need for speed, cutting ability, etc. A bad knee is something you're rarely going to play through unless you're a big power back or something. Even then I don't hear of too many HB's playing through a knee injury, you are simply not an asset to the team anymore.

I think Tomlinson is a selfish guy, not a team guy, etc. but I don't see the comparison there at all.

• Like Like x 1
  25. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

@Dru50

I heard that Hampton was critical of Cutler for coming out of the game. Second hand, though.

What I mean by that is a local Milwaukee station said he was critical on the Bears radio broadcast after the game. I didn't hear it though, so I don't know what he said.