Down Goes Stanford 23-20

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by MaxATX34, Jan 27, 2012.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG]

As we all know, the Utah-Stanford Rivalry is always sweetened by the two Coach's past/familiarity and this one lived up to the hype. The Cardinal had won their last two games vs. the Utes and were rolling along undefeated at #1 or #2 up to this point. With the home field advantage and what looked like to be the upper hand on paper, Stanford was picked by Vegas to win this one but its almost always a toss-up when these two coaches face off.

Utah, even though ranked #4 in the country and fielding a solid squad, had been sort of flying under the radar this season. They had taken care of business up until this point but werent seriously being considered as title contenders until this heart-stopping W.

Stanford won the toss and would defer to the 2nd half. After a stalled Utah drive, The Cardinal would score first on a FG. The Utes would answer back with a FG of their own before an explosion of points in the last 2:30 of the 1st half.

Both teams sensed the urgency on the field in their 2-minute offenses. In 2:30 Utah would score 14 and Stanford would score 10, bringing the count to 17-13 Utah at Half.

The second half was more of a defensive battle. Stanford stifled the run, and made big plays in coverage when Utah went over the top. At the same time, the Utes defense tightened up and although they gave up many big 3rd down conversions, they held the Cardinal scoreless until the 4th.

If the first three and half quarters were thrilling, the last half of the 4th quarter would have given you a heart attack. One of two critical errors by Utes QB Morvin Robbins would set up Stanford with a TD, and before you knew it Stanford had the ball and enough time to score.

Stanford was driving, down by 3, and working the ball nicely down the field. The Cardinal got into FG range with enough time to gain some yardage and possibly take a couple of shots at the endzone. Either way it seemed like this was either going to OT or Stanford would punch it in. Enter Cardinal QB J. Robison, whose only pick was an ill-advised pass into coverage and happened at the worst possible time. OLB Nick Johnson came down with it, and the Utes quickly kneeled out the clock and GTFO of town.

GG HotRod Both teams made some nice plays. One drive, the Utes were pinned on their own 3 yard line, and a dangerous screen on 1st down that the RB had to spin around to catch 5yd deep in the endzone flipped the field position when Fox took it 47yd to midfield. A 4th and inches conversion near the redzone would extend the drive and Utah would punch it in. That 97yd drive would prove crucial to getting the W.

Both Stanford and Utah will most likely win out and face each other in the Pac-12 CCG once again for a shot at the National Championship.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    GG, offense was pretty flat in this game. Credit goes to Utah defense which played well all game. Bonehead throw at the end, I knew it before I even threw it but still pressed the button anyway. Ah well, I'll just kill your perfect season in the CCG.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Not as good as winning but through 5 user games my defense still has not given up a pass TD.

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

yea your corners are good. I tried to go over the top to Vickers quite a few times, but your corner made a play every time. That first pick in the endzone I think I could have got the TD, just didnt swing Vickers inside enough/in time.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    maybe in 2013 they will fix some of the passing shit, still is too hard to pass despite some of the small improvements.

It helps that you need a somewhat competent QB back there...good win max!

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

gif is fucking priceless.

• Like Like x 1