Draft Idea

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Draft Idea

Okay, another league may already do this, but I had an idea. It would take a bit of work to get done, but here goes:

What if we simmed the OMFL draft since not everyone will probably be able to be there?

Now hear me out, cause I'm thinking as I type here. It's early. ;) The draft is simmed, and then everyone releases the rookies that the CPU drafts for them into FA.

Still with me?

One of the board members makes a draft list of all the players that came out, position by position.

ALL owners must send an email to a board member or commish by X date (say 4 days after list comes out). This email must include every player in sequential order of what that owner would draft, 1-whatever. We then go through the draft in order, and go down the list for that team. I'll try to lay out an explanation below:

Draft has 200 players in it. I post on the forums on January 1st the list, position by position with overalls next to it. By January 5th all teams have to have sent an email to me (or whomever) with a list of who they like, in order, from 1 to 200.

The Bucs have the #1 pick. I look at their list, their first player is Joe Schmoe. Joe Schmoe is now a Buc, and Joe Schmoe is scratched off other people's lists. The Chiefs have the #2 pick. They had Joe Schmoe #1, but have Terry Whoever as #2 on their list. They get Terry Whoever, and Terry Whoever is scratched off everyone else's list.

I know this would be a TON of work. And it's a very rough idea. But at the very base of it, it gives all the owners a chance to get who they want. And it tests their evaluation capabilities. You wouldn't want to put LBs spread too much out on the list, because if you do you may end up with 7 LBs drafted and nothing else.

The only thing this would hurt would be draft day trades of picks (trading up and what not). With this preliminary idea, we can't "move up" the boards and what not like in real NFL. But if all 32 owners can't be on during the draft, we couldn't really do that anyway. And you KNOW someone would cry foul if a draft day deal got done and they weren't there.

I really wish we could do this real time with all 32 owners on, but I don't know if we can. Only way I see is through voice chat on Mumble, but can we penalize someone for not being on?

Okay, I'm now ready for criticism/complaints/additions to the idea/kudos. Whatever you want to throw. :)

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

not a horrible idea, until you try it and see that it wont work.
    in theory it works great, but heres what really happens.

first the list is huge, tons of players, so its a TON of work because none of that can be transfered other than by hand.

second it would take weeks, and i mean weeks, to do a offline, forum, email, post driven draft. we've done drafts where we picked on the forums, and after 2 weeks there were only 15 picks made. It just drags on to death because not everyone visits the forums often, and it really really sucks.

third, i dont know about anyone else, but i personally have no interest of going throw 200 players and making a 'in order' list. thats gonna take a long long long time per owner, plus all the work we have to do as a board to make it happen.

i just think its too much work. i am not 100% against this and if we could figure out a way to test it, that would be great. what i may do is start up a test franchise and just sim as much as i can to get to the offseason and see how things go.

i'll get that test up today and start simming.

3. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I for 1 not into the idea. I'd rather be able to change who I was thinking of picking when ever I want depending on how the draft is going. I understand that some people won't make the draft, but at the same time not all coaches are going to get a list of 200 players turned in within 4 days either. I just think the draft date should be decided ahead of time. So people can make arrangements to be there. If they don't show then they just get the best player available or something like that.

4. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Not a horrible idea at all. I have played in leagues and went through the draft process. You think it is hard to get people to schedule games. Wait until we try to organize people to meet at one time to do the draft. My god!

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Good. Discussion. We do need to talk about draft stuff now and get it situated.

#1: A bit early but when do we want to do the draft? A week after the OMFL Bowl?
    #2: How do we handle people who aren't there? CPU or best available player?
    #3: Am I forgetting anything that is vitally important?

6. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

1. A week after works
    2. I would say CPU, just easier that way.
    3. Your forgetting to let me win next week. LOL

7. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

#1: A bit early but when do we want to do the draft? A week after the OMFL Bowl?

- My bvote would be right around a week. Gices people a few days to put their draft board together and scout.

#2: How do we handle people who aren't there? CPU or best available player?

- This is where the problem is going to come. People that "can't show" are going to bitch that they do not want the CPU to pick their players.

#3: Am I forgetting anything that is vitally important?

- Just a thought, but if we did the draft the way that you outlined (which I like), we could allow trading of picks right? The worry I thought was that it would be too confusing when it was time to make the picks online. If we did it this way it would not be hard to organize and keep track of. Trading picks is a lot of fun and easier to make than player for player. I am in no other league right now but this one, but I have tried out a few. Trading picks for players were in a few and everyone seemed to love it. I wouldn't allow trading of picks though until the off-season. That way someone doesn't leave a team after trading away all of their picks. It would be more difficult to find someone to take that team. Just my thoughts.

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

1. the second the bowl game is done we start the offseason. its hard to say when the draft will be because we dont know if the offseason takes 5 mins or 5 weeks and we dont know when the bowl game will be on. that maybe a saturday or a wednesday. i'd say we have to just play it by ear, but we need to get through the offseason asap or it kills the league.

another thing to keep in mind is that we have our fa's to take care of, and that comes before the draft.

#2. cpu all the way. we will set a time (probably a saturday around noon, that works best for most ppl) and give ppl the chance to be there. those who cant can set up someone to draft for them (a 3rd party that can log onto their ps3 and do it for them at home) or the cpu will draft for them. being in pc leagues and going through a million drafts, thats how it works. we will get 10-15 people there on draft and some will show late. hopefully (i dont know this for a fact) people will be able to set up draft boards to have the cpu draft for them.

#3 - not that i know of. ill get a test franny up and we can figure out how this offseason will really work.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Sounds solid enough. Anything I can do to help out with this let me know.