Draft Media Day Thread

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PhiGuy179, May 22, 2015.

1. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

With the Draft ending its now time for everyone to give their thoughts on their picks as well as others.

1. What letter grade would you give your draft?

2. Outside of your own draft who do you feel had the best draft overall? Who had the worse?

3. Who were you surprised fell to you?

4. Which player that you drafted are you most excited about?

5. Biggest regret in the draft?

6. Was their a player you were really hoping to get? If so who was it ?

7.Lastly, who do you think will be the best player from this draft class? Biggest bust?

2. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:

I'd have to give myself a B-/C+. Didn't really hit all of our targets going in (wanted a good OF spec and possibly a MIF one as well), but went very pitcher heavy. Got stuck with 3rd or 4th options too due to players being sniped right ahead of us (Looking at you, OMlawdog). Also took a very high risk/high reward strategy with some pitchers early.

2. Outside of your own draft who do you feel had the best draft overall? Who had the worse?

ty5oke had a great draft in Houston. Not a fan of guayo10 's draft in Minnesota at all.

Wish I had a guy I could put here. Didn't really feel like anybody fell into my lap, as most guys I was looking at went 1-5 spots ahead of me.

I drafted a couple of fun prospects in Eduardo Garza, Jose Cintron, and Emory Phillips. Each guy is a little lacking in something, but if they can get that under control, I've got steals.

Too early to have a regret. Wouldn't have picked a guy if I didn't like them at that point in the draft.

I really wanted Mitch Porritt in the first round and either Reginald Oeltjen or Rocky Robinson in the 3rd.

7.Lastly, who do you think will be the best player from this draft class? Biggest bust?

Something is telling me Lou Smart won't live up to expectations. Best player with consideration to their draft slot? Probably Michael Wo at 24.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fishdock

fishdock Walk On

I'd say a B, as I sincerely think I found the future of my middle infield, as well as a great value in RD 3, and some quality farm arms in the later rounds.

I'll admit I didn't do as much draft homework as I could have, but I really liked the Mariners draft because his first two picks are guys that I had high on my board.

I was surprised that Kenny Franklin fell to the second round, and I didn't pull the trigger when he was there. I'm interested to see how he does in the minors...hopefully he flames out.

I'm pretty excited about Patrick Irib in the 3rd RD, I haven't paid as much attention to the bullpen the since my inception in to the league, and I"m starting to notice it. I'm also ecstatic about Chris Jefferson. He and Reeves should form a potent 3-4 for a long time.

Getting auto'ed in Round 6. Definitely could have done some more homework, and really didn't need another catcher. Burned even more when PhiGuy179 sniped Mason one pick ahead of me.

I really wanted Poritt or Salazar at the top of Round 2. Wasn't in the cards.

Obvious answer is Jack Coleman, but I really liked Lou Smart as well who went five. I'm not sure what I would have done had he been there and I was choosing between Jefferson and Smart. I have dedicated my last few drafts to SP, so only time will tell. Not a fan of Alfonzo at 7 to the Giants...just not my kind of player, don't think he was a top ten talent.

• Awesome Content Awesome Content x 1
  4. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

I would personally give my draft a solid A. I was very pleased with my selections.

I feel like the Rays did extremely well themselves. If Franklin can up his fielding you could be looking at a very solid number 3 and 4 in the lineup teamed up with Coleman. I also like the value they got with Scott in round 4, he has some stamina issues but if he can up it a notch or two Scott could be a solid number 2 or 3. If their was one team I felt failed in this draft it would have the be the Blue Jays. Their first round selection stunned the league. The Blue Jays seemed to have wanted to up their power with this draft and they succeed, however they sacrificed good contact for the hopes of a few extra home runs.

I was shocked to see Ayers fall to me in round 4. I was extremely close to picking him up in round 3 but decided that taking a bat would be beneficial. It was rumored that Ayers was slowly creeping up the boards of rival organizations so we were happy to land him.

I am actually extremely excited about Pedro Fuentes. He was the only position player I took in the top 5 rounds due to our goal of loading up on pitching prospects. I feel like Fuentes could grow into a very special corner outfielder. He should fit nicely with our plans in the future.

Hmm, overall I dont regret to much. I think maybe I should have looked at him a little more, however the deciding factor came down to Hardin being a leader who works extremely hard and that impressed us overall.

Porritt was someone we were really hoping to land in round 2. We weren't thinking Beatty would be their however and that was extremely surprising. We were happy that we could pick Beatty in the end.

I think outside of the top 5 picks the player I think will bust out and become a star will be SS Mario Lapez(??weird name). I really think hell be able to hit for a high average and possibly lead the league with fewest strike outs. The player I think with the biggest bust potential has to be Brad Berry. He could turn out to be the star pitcher many have him pegged to be, however with two strong pitches and the rest being average or below average if one of his pitches drops a little he could become no more than a afterthought .

5. CxMacx10

CxMacx10 Walk On

Id give it a solid B. My first rounder was probably the lowest player on my board i could take there. But i thought we rebounded with really good value in rounds 2-4

Im also gonna go with the Astros and ty5oke. They were helped having the supplemental pick and made great use of it in such a deep draft. A nice year to have "2 firsts"

I was a little shocked, and extremely happy, that Mike Bailey fell to me in the middle of the second. We had him graded as a Late 1st/Early 2nd and for him to fall to us was a dream.

Mike Bailey for the reasons above. A top of the rotation potential.

No regret yet, but i wish we couldve gone with a non HS player in the 1st. Just thought Lopez was best player available at the time.
    Hopefully he turns into a solid SS and the great leadoff hitter we project him to be

It was always a stretch, but we really had our eyes on Al Blair in the first. We were a little surprised to see him fall to 10. Got our hopes up that he may get to us in the first. Maybe my favorite pitcher in the draft. Fairly polished coming off a great season at Clemson. Low Risk guy in our eyes.

Jack Coleman. Im still shocked he went number 2. That leads to the second part, biggest bust as Brad Berry. Its hard to see a HS projection that solid actually becoming that special. I dont think he will be a bust in the traditional sense as hes far too talented to flop. Just easier to see Coleman reaching his potential and being an absolute landscape changing player. I hope Barry becomes great and makes me eat these words but i think it was an incredible risk passing on Coleman.