Draft / Offseason Cuts Issue with new plan

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Jul 27, 2010.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Draft / Offseason Cuts Issue with new plan

Win and I were just talking. Right now if a team cuts any player that is not in the 3 player manditory, then they will recieve a cap hit. This is where that begins to be a problem is in the offseason when I sim for the draft (if this is unchanged for new game) it will automatically cut those players.

NOW...

If their cap book is correct and done the proper way that is an easy release/sign fix, but most cases this will NOT be true.

So what do we do about it?

The only option i could think of was to allow some kinda 5 player list of players under a certain overall that they could cut with no cap hit, they would be protected, and I can resign that list of players AFTER the draft.

So a 5-7 player protected list to get their team to 45 and I could just resign those players after I sim the draft.

thoughts?

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

If I may....

Easiest thing to do for all involved would be to cut the lowest players off the team. Then have the cap guy (and assistant) highlight who was cut in a different color. Then have the teams resign those players after the draft. If they cannot (due to draftees taking up roster spots), then the players on that highlighted list must be cut and any cap hits will ensue for the next season.

I didn't tinker much with roster movement as a commissioner. Can you just sort a list of a team by their overall? That would help and make it easier, just cut however many players need cutting from the bottom to get to 45. Make the owners post their bottom feeders in name and position and overall so the cap guys can highlight them. Problem solved. I think...

3. natedawg212000

LOL, can we get ANY input from the rest of you guys?

4. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

So would teams be taking a cap hit for players they can't sign back due to rookies taking up spots?

5. natedawg212000

well thats what we need to discuss. I think I like the idea of them cutting and posting in a sticky thread the list of 5-7 players that they need to cut so that I can sim the draft. This way after the draft I can go through and resign those players AFTER I cut the rookies. If we did that we need a system that would be in place that punishes, and what punishment, those who do NOT post a list.

To answer your question wajo, yes if a player is cut because of a rookie taking their spot, they will take a cap hit, just like real life.

6. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

So, if you cut players that are required there is no cap hit.

If they leave its like the contract is up and they want to test FA? correct?

I would give teams some more roster options guys, we are striving to make it realistic and its not realistic to punish every move a team makes.

Contracts are set up to be worked around all the time most of the time with older vets.

So a team signs them for two or three years but its really a one year deal with a huge bonus due in year two that everyone knows that player wont see.

I like the idea of allowing cuts with no cap hit also, but I would suggest a range of overall like 73-80 and a number like 5 players.

That will allow teams to cut some salary chunks and some decent players also hit the market that can help someone else.

Just a thought.

7. natedawg212000

We COULD do that. Instead of 3 mandatory cuts we could make it where its 1 above their average, 2 below their average that is still on the list of 20, and then add another 5-7 cuts from anyone on the roster with no cap hit as long as their roster gets to 45. This would really add a ton to free agency.

thoughts?

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I like it, it makes it fun and not feel like we are peeling teams apart.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I agree with what Bruce is suggesting.

10. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I also agree with Bruce it is a bit restrictive. Some teams are going to have to make some sort of cuts to fit rookies and I don't think owners should be punished for that.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Why not a restricted free agent list then?

Your mandatory cuts are cuts that carry no cap hit.

You then make a list of players that are restricted free agents, meaning that you are putting them out there as possible signees to another team before the draft. Then, if a team attempts to claim one of the players on the list, the team with the player can match the offer to keep the player or let them go at no cap hit to the new team.

If, however, NO team claims a player on their list, the team HAS to attempt to resign ALL players on that list or any cuts will eat cap space for the next season.

Simple. Straightforward. More realistic.

Ta-da.

12. natedawg212000

Well my suggestion with that Win is confusion. We are already throwing a TON of stuff out there at them that is totally totally new. Now we are adding yet another option to that.

I get what the others are saying that teams have contracts that come up each year that are lower rated players which allows them some wiggle room for draftees.

What if we done this.

3 manditory cuts as we have now.

Then they are allowed to pick 5 players (thats 8 total and gets them below 45 so that I can sim the draft) that are cut because their contracts are 'up'. None of those players can come from above the 'average' of their team. Only 1 more of those players can come from the list of top 20 players. (that now makes 4 of their top 20 that they CAN cut if they choose) and 4 must come from off the list of top 20.

Here's the twist/catch.

What ever players you 'cut' can not be resigned until week 2 of the season. You can't bid on them and you can't sign them. Sorta like the restrictions placed on playoff teams this year.

If a player gets resigned by the team that cut them then that player will not be allowed to be cut the following offseason.

thoughts?

13. natedawg212000

the problem again with having to forcing teams to resign and if they cut them then i am afraid that cap hits will be huge.

I see both sides. Real NFL have contracts that they are able to let go and not cost them anything but they also have a cap hit if they cut a player that is under contact.

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, with my idea, if you were a smart GM, you'd put players that have a sizeable bonus but may still be valuable to another team out there in RFA. That way, someone else can bid on that player, get them for a decent price, and then you (as the RFA holder) can either pay the player at a cheaper rate, or let the player go and get all that cap room back to use on another free agent.

But, I see what you are intending to do. The only worry I have is the tracking portion. That would require a lot of checking by board members involved in cap and in free agent monitoring. Not saying it isn't possible; just a lot of work to track your suggestion.

I could, with my setup, do a sheet at the back of the cap book, color coded by team, and with 10 blocks (the difference between the madden max of 55 players and the 45 we need for draft space). Each team could be filled in with position/name/overall and that list is easily trackable by all parties.

15. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

what would it take to have a contract system that coincides with winuva's new salary cap system?

16. natedawg212000

basically in my suggestion you are making mandatory cuts from 3, to 8 or 10.

I'll talk with win about contracts. I just don't know how it would work.

Any suggestions?

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

You mean multi-year deals?

18. Emmdotfrisk

yes, aiming towards realism. I am just wondering if it is in the realm of possibilities to have player contracts. That would take care of mandatory releases as their would be restricted and non restricted FA's. On the other hand that may make things more complicated then some of our guys wanting.

19. natedawg212000

we are talking now and adding contracts really wont change anything.

20. natedawg212000

actually if we went with a total contract system (seeing as madden had that with pc online leagues for years) then we will NEVER have any fa's adn would still have to force guys to drop players if we want real FAs.

Talking it over with him now and adding years to the system we have won't really fix anything, it's kinda why we have the modifiers to inflate players salaries which is like having years on their salary.

The one thing we are discussing now is the very confusing system of offering different modifiers instead of salary. I think thats too confusing.

I also am against forcing players to drop 10 players every offseason and get a cap hit on 7 of those guys.

21. natedawg212000

ok. now we have discussed this further i think we have some solutions.

The modifier will act as our 'years' for a 'contract' type system.

The modifiers are locked in from the get-go on all players UNLESS they go UP.

Ex. Manning is a starter. his modifier of 5 is locked in and will NEVER go down unless his overall drops below and he is CUT.

If a rb is a #1 on my team and is getting the modifier of 4 then I trade him to Winuvas and on winuvas' team he is the #3 rb, he will STILL be paid the #1 modifier of 4. The only way for Win to get that modifier to #3 rb of 2, he would have to cut and resign him.

Also to fix the 45 man roster issue of simming the draft we will handle it like this.

All players cut 3 players with no cap hit from their top 20.
    They are then allowed to cut any other players that they want to take a cap hit on.

After those cuts are made they then make a list of however many players it takes to get their team to 45 plaeyrs total. This list of players will be cut.

I then sim the draft.

I then pull up this list, cut all rookies, and resign all these players who were added to this list.

Then the offseason proceeds as normal.

If they want to cut players for room for rookies then they take a cap hit.

If they refuse to sign a rookie then the rookie becomes a FA.

22. natedawg212000

ok. now we have discussed this further i think we have some solutions.

The modifier will act as our 'years' for a 'contract' type system.

The modifiers are locked in from the get-go on all players UNLESS they go UP.

Ex. Manning is a starter. his modifier of 5 is locked in and will NEVER go down unless his overall drops below and he is CUT.

If a rb is a #1 on my team and is getting the modifier of 4 then I trade him to Winuvas and on winuvas' team he is the #3 rb, he will STILL be paid the #1 modifier of 4. The only way for Win to get that modifier to #3 rb of 2, he would have to cut and resign him.

Also to fix the 45 man roster issue of simming the draft we will handle it like this.

All players cut 3 players with no cap hit from their top 20.
    They are then allowed to cut any other players that they want to take a cap hit on.

After those cuts are made they then make a list of however many players it takes to get their team to 45 plaeyrs total. This list of players will be cut.

I then sim the draft.

I then pull up this list, cut all rookies, and resign all these players who were added to this list.

Then the offseason proceeds as normal.

If they want to cut players for room for rookies then they take a cap hit.

If they refuse to sign a rookie then the rookie becomes a FA.

23. Big D

Big D Walk On

Guys, you may think I'm being a boob...but this has gotten so confusing that I can't even try to keep up. How do we expect 32 owners to do that?

Also, I'm a bit confused but I thought that our cap guys were going to do all the cap figuring for all the players so our owners won't have much work. Is that still the case? If not then this I really think you are going to confuse owners so much we will lose some of them.

24. Emmdotfrisk

If you think about it the previous cap system was just as confusing at first but once everyone was on board it is now like second nature. I believe that although it may be confusing now, given time we can all learn the system and eventually all of us can be experts.

25. natedawg212000

its confusing because we are discussing a TON of different things, but it should be set now if you read the rules. It's really not hard at all. I'll do a walk through step by step of how to do each team.