Draft Pick Trading

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, May 31, 2012.

?

Should draft pick trading be allowed

1. Yes

46.4%
  2. No

53.6%
  1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Please vote.

2. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

3. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I voted no, but I'm indifferent.

4. PAgamer07

Just some background on why it's on to begin with... Every OOTP Online league Ive played has it enabled which seems to promote activity. In addition.. MLB is the only major sport to not allow draft pick trading, which Ive always disagreed with. In any event, you guys make the call.

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

not only do i think it should not be allowed, which is realistic, but i think that players should have to spend a whole year on your team before you can trade them. that will prevent people from back dooring their way around the rule.

• Like Like x 2
  6. PAgamer07

Well if we vote to not allow it, that will be the rule as it is in MLB

7. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

why do most leagues turn it on? its off by default. this is a sim game, yet we have an unsim component for some reason.

i just cant believe it didnt hit me until like mid/end of last season that we were trading picks, yet its not allowed in real life.

if we have draft pick trading on, we should add a salary cap as well. make it even for all teams to compete!! :)

8. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I would prefer not to allow it, simply because that is the MLB rule. Honestly, I had no idea they weren't allowed to trade draft picks until I realized I couldn't do it in my offliner when I tried lol.

9. PAgamer07

Pfft... Your boy Dan proved that salary has nothing to do with winning :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

i think being able to trade picks makes it to easy/lazy for people and significantly takes away from the experience for me. i mean cliiff lee for a 1st, halladay for a 1st, etc. how f.in boring is that? make people actually look at others farm systems, evaluate talent, find hidden gems and show some acumen for the game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

I'm a little surprised this is such a close vote.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Norezn

Norezn Walk On

I voted yes. I find it odd that we wouldn't want to allow it. Some guys like to build for the future and others like to build for now. Yes I get it you can build for the future by scouting and making trades for players in others farm systems but with the draft pick you are adding an extra element. I suppose it's like pulling the lever on the slot machine and taking a chance...adds a gamble to it. Sometimes it might pay off big and others it might not.

13. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

The problem comes when teams build for now and then bail. The team that comes in to take over has all veteran players and no system or draft picks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

agreed..

agreed..

15. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I voted no but I could go either way. I think people over value draft picks a bit. The biggest issue with trading for picks is in GM turnover. When somebody has a firesale and then bails, it leaves a pretty shitty team for the next guy to come into. Thats really the only issue I see with trading picks.

16. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Ya i am always under the impression guys wont quit which is nieve. But this group looks very strong

17. PAgamer07

Or claims a ridiculous contract off waivers and then bails. Im looking at you former Cardinals GM

18. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Thats the hope (y)

19. Norezn

Norezn Walk On

That's it. Well then the easy solution is to trade all those veterans for draft picks. There will always be other people who want veterans so you trade them away and build back up your farm system. If you are worried about whether these teams are able to compete while doing this it is real simple...off season Free Agency. You guys must not like challenges :)

I guess this also means I should have stayed away from the Angels when we started this league up because their farm system (outside of a few guys) was very poor while my ML was stocked full of veterans ;)

20. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

You're telling me that 18M for 80 ABs is a bad deal? I don't even know what to believe anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

I don't understand the trades like Prince Fielder for a 1st rounder. This isn't basketball or football. At best it still takes a couple years to see any return. And that's the thing, IF there is a return. Sure there are first round studs and the pics are valuable, but to trade a everyday player, especially of All-Star caliber is stupid. Potential is like taking a piss in the wind

• Like Like x 1
  22. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Did what?

23. PAgamer07

The previous owner claimed Alfonso Soriano off waivers. A few sims later he disappeared.

24. Norezn

Norezn Walk On

Fielder is not worth his contract...highly overpaid. If I thought I could I would actually move Pujols as well. They might be worth the money now but in a couple of years they will just be overpaid players and the money could be spent in better ways elsewhere. Plus didn't Detroit inherit that contract from the past owner? Isn't that what the discussion is about...new owners not inheriting a team with a bunch of veterans and no farm system. :p Not everyone wants an overpaid player on their team.

Hopefully your statement about potential is only in reference to the players in this league and not life in general or else you might not make it very far in life. ;)

25. Norezn

Norezn Walk On

Btw I'm sarcastic by nature so most things I say are meant in humor and not to be taken literally...lol.

• Like Like x 1